"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

What do you feel is your best quality?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What do you feel is your best quality?
Wow, you know how to ask the hard ones! It's not too hard though. I guess my best quality is being able to find the good in most situations (or to at least see how good can come of it later) and to see the good in most people. I learned a long time ago not to judge people--I leave that to God.

Barbara

Old 11-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh good, I finally get here and I KNOW what questions to ask!

1. In your travels you have met several DC members. Can you tell us who and a little about the experience.

2. If you could take a second trip (money being no object), where would you like to go and who would you like to meet?

3. How did you and James meet and what first attracted you to him?

4. What's the story behind lasagna and German chocolate cake for your birthday? (I think I got that right).

5. What is the greatest thrill in your life so far?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh good, I finally get here and I KNOW what questions to ask!

1. In your travels you have met several DC members. Can you tell us who and a little about the experience.
Oh yikes, I hope I don't leave anyone out! Some of the people we met are no longer here at DC, and one has passed away, but I will try to remember everyone! The first DC member we met was kitchenelf. In fact the first time we ever saw her was on Thanksgiving at her house. The second we met, we felt like we already knew each other. We got to spend a couple Thanksgivings with her and her family and friends. Then we met with kitchenelf and Dove (Marge), along with some of Marge's friends. We met at the restaurant of a former DC member, Raine. We had a great lunch and talked for a long time. The first person we met on our vacation in 2008 was Dave Hutchins. James, Anna, and I were at Adventureland in Altoona, Iowa, and Dave lived nearby, so we arranged to meet him for lunch. We enjoyed talking with him very much. He gave me a big bottle of his special seasoning. As many of you know, Dave has passed away, so I treasure our meeting even more. After Iowa we went to the Chicago area. It turned out that MicheleMarie lived in the area. We went out to dinner with Michele and her husband and have been friends ever since. Since we were going to be going through Ohio we decided to contact Middie. We got to spend more time with Middie and her son. We went shopping, went out to Lake Erie, and then out to dinner at one of her favorite Italian restaurants. She and I still keep up with each other at Facebook. In fact she and my daughter have become Facebook friends as well. Next we had dinner (he had dessert) with Joe V in Mentor, Ohio. Pacanis (Fred) was next on the list, in Northeast, PA. We had a great lunch with him and went out and saw where he works. Then down to Pittsburgh where we had the most delightful dinner with Luvs and her boyfriend Jake. She is so sweet and so real, and we had such a good time! We turned north then, up to NYC, where we met one of the nicest, most humble, most wonderful men in the world--Buckytom. I honestly cannot say enough good things about BT, and James feels the same way. He is forever in our hearts. He gave us a great personal tour of the CBS studios. I took tons of pictures--he said I am the only one to take pictures of all the equipment, LOL! We also met one of his co-workers, also named Tom (I can't remember his DC name--he doesn't really post). We really enjoyed talking to him as well, and it was great watching him and Buckytom banter back and forth. Next we got to meet GB and his wonderful family! We had lunch with them at a nice Brazilian restaurant. James and GB talked like they had always known each other. We loved them all, and the children were totally delightful! We met a few others in the Boston area. Jennyema met us during her lunch break, and we had a nice chat over lunch. We met Andy M. at a Japanese/Chinese restaurant. The food was good and the conversation was great. We met QSis (Lee) in a marketplace in Boston. We had a great supper and talked for quite awhile. On the way back down south we stopped in the Washington D.C. area. We met Tattrat (and friends) at a great pub for dinner. We had a great time, and then he surprised us by inviting us to his place for dinner a couple nights later. He cooked a fantastic Thai-inspired (his term, LOL) dinner and a delicious dessert. We talked for hours and had such a great time! I am so afraid I might have left someone off the list! If I did, just give me a good kick in the pants!

2. If you could take a second trip (money being no object), where would you like to go and who would you like to meet?
We would make a bee-line for Missoula, Montana. As soon as Princess Fiona and I were able to let go of each other (a hug that would probably make it into the Guiness Book of World Records) and she, Shrek, James, and I had plenty of time to talk, we would head to Alberta, repeating the whole scenario with Alix and Ken and their family, then to BC to repeat again with you, your DH and my boyfriend. Then I would head down to California to see (and of course the whole hugging thing!) kadesma, SierraCook, and jkath. Of course we would also have to stop and meet all the DCers in between all those places! Then we would spend time with my family in the San Diego and Riverside areas, then home (meeting whoever we could between California and here! There are so many DC members that I would love to meet. I love my DC family. You said "money being no object" but time would have to be no object as well, since this trip would take years!!!

3. How did you and James meet and what first attracted you to him?
James and I first talked March 30, 2000 on a little chat site that no longer exists, called Gooey. I was getting ready to go meet a guy that I thought I was in love with, in Kentucky. James said he knew as soon as we started talking that I was "the one." For me, he was just someone to talk to because all I could think of was the KY guy. I went up and met the KY guy (he doesn't deserve to be named, LOL) and he turned out to be a jerk. I didn't realize it right away though and pined away for awhile. Then suddenly I realized that even though I was going on and on about this other guy, and poor poor me, James was there for me. We started talking seriously by the end of April and met in person in December. What first attracted me to him? Hmmmm It is hard to explain! Through our many conversations online and on the phone, I just started seeing what a good fit we were. He is 100% man, but he is also about 50% goofy kid. I know that doesn't work out, but he is a math whiz, so he makes it work. I could see early on that he is one of the most humble, loyal, and loving men I would ever meet.

4. What's the story behind lasagna and German chocolate cake for your birthday? (I think I got that right).
We always got to choose our birthday meal. My mom made the best lasagna, so I always ended up asking for either that or homemade pizza. My mom's German chocolate cake was also the best, and it is my favorite cake. The funny thing is, I found out 3 years ago that I was born the same year the first German chocolate cake recipe was printed.

5. What is the greatest thrill in your life so far?
Being pregnant, and then becoming a mom.

Barbara
Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Great Answers - of course I already knew some of them , but I wanted others to hear them as well. You truly are DC's travelling welcome wagon.

One thing I will clear up for everyone, however is this statement

Quote:
then to BC to repeat again with you, your DH and my boyfriend.
Barbara's "boyfriend" is my 85 year old Dad.

Oh, and I want as many hugs and as long a conversation as PrincessFiona and Alix! Oh, and tell James I will have an orange chiffon cake ready for him as well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...One thing I will clear up for everyone, however is this statement

Barbara's "boyfriend" is my 85 year old Dad.

Oh, and I want as many hugs and as long a conversation as PrincessFiona and Alix! Oh, and tell James I will have an orange chiffon cake ready for him as well.
So much for my being a woman of mystery!

Knowing that an orange chiffon cake is part of the bargain, James will probably insist that we just take off now, doing odd jobs on the way!

Barbara
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
Master Chef

well... just found it and I'm too curious for not asking a question... ;o)

If you have three wishes, what would that be?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
Cook

What makes you happy?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Master Chef

Hi Barbara :)

1. What would your ultimate 3 course dinner be?

2. Who would you move mountains for?

3. What is your greatest achievement?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #20
Senior Cook

If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote