"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Getting To Know Barbara L

1. What is your favorite childhood memory?

2. What is your favorite song?

3. Who is/was your role model?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

1. Who is your Hero?

2. If money were no object, what fancy hotel would you like to spend a week in, enjoying all of it's amenities?

3. Would you ever consider going back to teaching?

Old 11-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

WooHoo, my turn!

1. What is your favorite childhood memory?
Wow, it is hard to choose! Going places with my mom ranks up at the top of the list (I'm sure my sister was there most of those times too), especially if it meant eating out for lunch. We were fairly poor, so the rare eating out occasions were very special to me. I especially remember going to a little Mexican restaurant with her, and to Oscar's, both in San Diego. Another good one is going jogging with my dad as it was getting dark (I was around 13 or 14 by then), and kicking a can and talking as we jogged and walked.

2. What is your favorite song?
My two current favorites are posted at the bottom. My all-time favorite, since about 3rd grade, is "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens.

3. Who is/was your role model?
My mom was a wonderful role model. She was a great mom, a wonderful cook (My friends always wanted to eat at our house!), my best friend from my 20s on. She was honest, quiet, intelligent, and had a lot of common sense. She was the best manager of money I have ever known. She didn't just speak her faith, she lived it.

Barbara
P.S. Some of the simplest sounding questions are the hardest to answer!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

my usual question. what do you like to read? do you read as much as you would like to? who is your favorite author? are you a fast reader?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. Who is your Hero?
I don't think I really have one hero. I tend to take heroism very seriously, in that I believe real heroes are people who risk their lives or something dear to them to help others. People who go into burning or collapsing buildings to save others come to mind first. People who serve in combat to protect us and our freedom. People who risk their reputations by doing the right thing and telling the truth. I have even seen animals that I would consider heroes--risking their lives to save someone from fire or drowning, etc.

2. If money were no object, what fancy hotel would you like to spend a week in, enjoying all of it's amenities?
This sounds good (And we thought the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge was expensive!):
7. Four Seasons New York New York, NY
Ty Warner Penthouse, Four Seasons New York
New York City is one of the most expensive cities in the world, so itís no wonder that itís home to so many luxury hotels. And it doesnít get more luxurious than the Four Seasons. Guests who stay in the Ty Warner Penthouse will pay $34,000 a night to enjoy a view from the top of the city as well as a personal trainer, butler, therapist and a private chauffeur. Of course, a chauffeur isnít much use without a car Ė so the hotel throws in unlimited use of either a Rolls Royce or Mercedes Maybach.

Read more: Top 10 Luxury Hotels in the United States

3. Would you ever consider going back to teaching?
Yes because I love teaching. However, my certificate expires at the end of this school year and I can't afford to renew it. I would love to teach at the private school affiliated with our church, but they don't have any positions available.

Barbara
Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

my usual question. what do you like to read? do you read as much as you would like to? who is your favorite author? are you a fast reader?

I like to read a wide variety of books, magazines, cereal boxes, anything! I don't read as much as I would like to, and I need to change that. It is my own fault that I don't.

I have a lot of favorite authors. I love M.M. Kaye, Stephen King (mostly his older stuff), John Saul, James Michener, Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have read the Bible in bits and pieces for years, but after reading it through from start to finish I have become even more excited to read it.

I used to be a faster reader than I am now. I don't retain as much as I would like when I read unless I read aloud. I found that out when I was taking Irish History. I read that if you see and hear something at the same time you will retain it longer. The Irish History book was a mile thick and it seemed so boring. Then I started reading it out loud (when I was alone of course), and I found out it was a fascinating book. When I do my private Bible study I also read aloud.

Barbara
Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Flour Child

Very interesting read, Barbara. And I love love loved the videos you posted. Amazing Grace was so touching and beautifully executed. And the other one was new to me and also beautiful. Thank you

What is your favorite restaurant and what dish is your favorite there?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

What is your favorite restaurant and what dish is your favorite there?

It depends on what I am in the mood for of course.

For Mexican food (one of my very favorites) I like Mariachis in Lancaster, SC (about 20 miles from us). I always order guacamole along with the free chips and salsa, and I usually order a chimichanga combo.

For Japanese my favorite is Ajimi in Monroe, NC (about 18 miles). I always start with sushi (generally salmon or tuna), miso soup, and then for my meal I get a combination plate that includes Beef Negamaki, Teryaki Beef, spring rolls, broccoli, and fried rice.

There are a few places that serve great steak or prime rib dinners, but I guess my favorite place to get steak and prime rib is Robert's Rib in Chesterfield, SC (about 20 miles). I usually order prime rib, medium-rare, salad with blue cheese dressing, and either baked potato with sour cream and chives or "smashed" potatoes. LOL--I said "usually" as if I go there a lot. I think I've been there twice. We just can't afford to go out.

My favorite fast food place is Taco Bell. I am especially partial to Burrito Supremes, Taco Supremes (crunchy), and their Fiesta Taco Salad.

Barbara
Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Everymom

What brings you comfort when you're cranky?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
What brings you comfort when you're cranky?
Snuggling one of the kitties or having Cubbie look up at me with the worried look he has so often, then having him push my arm with his muzzle.

Barbara