"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Hey Bolas, you said you were in the music buisness. I have a question for you. My son is in the proccess of getting a production company going here in Ottawa Canada. He has a studio with an experienced technician, and a few bands signed. Do you have any advice that I could pass on to him? I am a journeyman musician so I can't help him with this field he is in.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Rocky mate, the link I have included is my young cousins. The best times we had when he started it and probably the best money was to hire a hall put a band on and sell white labels from the boot of my car.

I was doing the Lisa Stansfield tour, Trev came to the end of tour party.A journalist (female) was chatting to us, she asked us what we were doing, we made up this story that we had a Hasidic Rap Band that was going to counter the Anti-semitic rap from bands like NWA. The article came out, the phone was hot, we had to work hard to put the band together, we got a deal with a major.
John Bonhams sister Cindy worked for us as a temp secretary, she was in my book as good as Bonnie Raitt, we could not get her a deal.
A well known music mag sent 50 blank CD's to A and R depts, 49 letters came back saying it was the wrong style of music for the time
I could go on and on.Its about luck and the blag unless you can find a pet A&R man who likes a bung!
Trevor Jackson

Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #43
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?

Barbara
Old 11-27-2010, 03:09 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Teaching, In the last recession I was asked to teach the unemployed and those on limited pensions how to cook, shop,and eat well within their means.
I don't want to offend or create a problem but in general I dislike the hypocrisy that has become attached to Christmas, so when I was younger I would spend the days leading up to the 25th teaching other volunteers how to cook for the homeless in shelters. I would then spend the day visiting the three shelters. Thankfully from then till now the need for shelters diminished.

My Mum and Dad taught us a great lesson as kids, my Mum would bake a lot of extra's, Dad would then load them into the car on the 25th and we would take them to a near by Catholic orphanage.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Rocky mate, the link I have included is my young cousins. The best times we had when he started it and probably the best money was to hire a hall put a band on and sell white labels from the boot of my car.

I was doing the Lisa Stansfield tour, Trev came to the end of tour party.A journalist (female) was chatting to us, she asked us what we were doing, we made up this story that we had a Hasidic Rap Band that was going to counter the Anti-semitic rap from bands like NWA. The article came out, the phone was hot, we had to work hard to put the band together, we got a deal with a major.
John Bonhams sister Cindy worked for us as a temp secretary, she was in my book as good as Bonnie Raitt, we could not get her a deal.
A well known music mag sent 50 blank CD's to A and R depts, 49 letters came back saying it was the wrong style of music for the time
I could go on and on.Its about luck and the blag unless you can find a pet A&R man who likes a bung!
Trevor Jackson
Nice one. Here is my sons company. He is also in one of the bands featured. He is the one in the forefront of The Collectioneers photo. There are some music samples there. He, my brother and I are all going it the studio soon to record a tune my brother wrote. It is going to be donated and used somehow at an auction for charity for some promotion my son and bother are involved with through my brothers company. Hopefully we can get my daughter to put in some piano stuff.. - johnny hall productions
Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Rocky mate, good set up, I have listened to some of the tracks my laptop speakers are not much good so my brother is bringing over a good set next week. I liked the piece of Guaranteed but I learned a long time ago that personal taste has little to do with marketing music.Check out the 1990's Thunderbirds are Go, it cost very little to make but the advance was about $500,000