"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
paint the entire area with the sane blood to disguise the pattern, then clean it with 20%.chlorine bleach.

replace any carpeting.

hth.

i've heard.
Oh dear I will have to venture out to find some sane blood. Carpet! do you think I'm made of money!!! I have only just removed last years copies of the "News of The World" from the floor in protest at Mrs B hacking and her failure to hit the spittoon from a prone position.I was thinking of going back to straw but Mrs B claims it clogs the Tyson.

Ps Question, do you wear Opera gloves with your Boas.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Oh dear I will have to venture out to find some sane blood. Carpet! do you think I'm made of money!!! I have only just removed last years copies of the "News of The World" from the floor in protest at Mrs B hacking and her failure to hit the spittoon from a prone position.I was thinking of going back to straw but Mrs B claims it clogs the Tyson.

Wow! I'm wacky, or so I've been told. But Bucky and Bolas, you guys take wacky to a whole new level. Ever hear the song - "Madman Across the Water"? Bolas my freind, I think it was written for you. And Bucky, well your just another crazy guy from the Joisey/New Yowk area of the East Coast, where the only thing crazier than the inhabitants is the cost of an apartment in Manhattan.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #43
Executive Chef

So BT, since you've asked others the same question, do you know your ancestry and what do you know about your family history?

What character trait do you most value in yourself?

What does persistence taste and smell like?

Is the cold chill down your spine more likely to be a ghost or a drizzle of ice water poured down your back? If the former, who is the ghost? If the latter, who's pouring the ice water?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

What's the hardest part about what you do for a living, and why did you chose to do what you? What's the best part about what you do for a living?
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #45
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
So BT, since you've asked others the same question, do you know your ancestry and what do you know about your family history?

Is the cold chill down your spine more likely to be a ghost or a drizzle of ice water poured down your back? If the former, who is the ghost? If the latter, who's pouring the ice water?
Oh! You so have to ask me that last block of questions.... Have I got a story for you!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
but of course. class all the way.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
why yes, i do know a good amount of my family history, but i'll just post recent stuff.

i'm 1/2 irish, dad's side, from co.'s leitrim, cavan, and mayo; and 1/2 norwegian, mom's side, from oslo and bergen.

my paternal grandfather came to the u.s, to become a citizen around 1916, and the quickest way to do it was to sign up for the army and fight in world war 1.

he was injured twice, and received 2 purple hearts before coming home to brooklyn after the war, eventually marrying my maternal grandmother and having my dad.

my grandfather realized that the disability pay he was receiving from the army wasn't much here, but it was enough for a good life back in ireland. so he packed up the family and moved back to co. leitrim, and bought a small farm in the town of ballinamore.

with their u.s. army pay and a successful farm, my dad says that he was actually raised fairly well off. they had a maid, one of the only cars in their town, and were the first in ballinamore to have an indoor toilet, indoor plumbing in the kitchen from a sistern my grandfather built on the roof, and were able to get electricity run to their town, hooking up their house before many people had the wiring.

just before wwii, my grandfather moved his now much larger family back to the states because of the threat of war, and my dad signed up for the army as soon as he was old enough.
after boot camp, my dad became a medic in the 109th regiment of the 28th infantry division. he fought through 5 campaigns, from normandy to berlin to central europe.

after the war, my dad became a teletype operator for western union, then a firefighter for a hook and ladder company in brooklyn. after being gravely injured twice and with 6 children to support, my mom made him quit the nyfd and he got a job as a sportswriter/teletype operator for the associated press.

the history of my mom's side of the family is a lot more sketchy. i know that my maternal grandparents were simple farmers and fishermen way north in norway, not far from the arctic circle.
their family lived on some small islands off the far northern coast. there are some stories that my mom's father and uncles also fought the germans in wwii in the norwegian underground, but i haven't been able to substantiate that yet.

after the war when oil was discovered near their land in the north sea, the family got together and quickly sold out (for an unbelievably small amount) and some of the family moved to oslo, the rest came to nyc to start a new life.

my mom was one of 11 children from her parents, but nearly half of them died from diseases such as polio at very young ages.

my grandfather continued working as a fisherman here too, sailing out of sheepshead bay, ny, but eventually gave up that harsh life and became a bartender in the danish club in brooklyn.

some of the family that stayed in norway have become successful businessmen, and one of my cousins sings in the norwegian national opera.

ok, so that's my family in a nutshell.

there's a lot more, but i might end up confusing people thinking it was one of goodweed's extended stories.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

my best character trait, i think, is my memory. i would have said my sense of humour, but that's really there only because i tend to remember funny stuff at times.

i'm one of those people that remember a lot of little things, seemingly useless, but i remember them perfectly, years later as if the just happened. i remember what people say, word for word, even with their inflections as if it was recorded in my brain. same goes for visual memories.

actually, it's both a blessing and a curse. i remember bad things exactly as i experienced them just as easily as i remember the good times. that can kind of suck when something causes me to remember really bad times as i practically relive them in my mind. i have to try not to think about them.

ok, next question. persistence tastes like blood and grit, and smells like sweat and fear.

and the cold water question. it's just cold water being dumped on me, by whomever is trying to get me back from my latest practical joke.

speaking of cold water, i remember an old gf used to take impossibly long showers, especially when i needed to go somewhere and needed to wash up. dumping a cup of icewater over the shower door cut her showers a bit shorter, but i was paid back usually minutes later, lol.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #49
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
BT, does it bother you that I think you are my internet man crush, old friend? lol
Old 07-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, great to see you tatt!

and yes it does.

buy me a drink first.