"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #61
Executive Chef

how did your lima bean crop turn out?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #62
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
how did your lima bean crop turn out?
Lima beans, eh? Good source of cyanide. Make sure to cook them well, to leach out and elliminate that little bit of "nutrition" from your home grown beans. I mean, you just became a member of my family. Don't want to lose you so soon. After all, a father should never have to bury a son.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
Head Chef

Name one of your favorite restaurants?

What's the best thing you've ever eaten?

What's the worst you've eaten?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, getting back to squares. i'm going back to answer the questions as they were asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What's the hardest part about what you do for a living, and why did you chose to do what you? What's the best part about what you do for a living?
there's two very difficult things with my job. firstly, the hours, both in number and in volume. i work 11pm to 8am, and i work an average 800 hours overtime every year.

secondly, you never can relax in my job thinking that you know everything that you need at any given time. computer systems come and go, and there's so many of them here in so many different areas that are constantly being updated, and broadcast television loves to be on the cutting edge of everything, so for 24 years i've had to continually learn the latest and greatest things in many fields of electronics expertise. tape machines, cameras, robotics, a/v routers, sattelite control, studio operations, a/v servers, i.t., data storage, electronic graphics, weather systems, virtual reality sets, etc., etc..
when people ask me to explain my job, i say it's like being scotty on the starship enterprise.

you just keep redirecting power to the deflector dish and life support...

i chose this job because after graduating princeton, i really didn't want to get into programming and i'd always liked taking things apart and sometimes getting them back together, so i took a year course in electronics repair and eventually got a job as a field engineer for the associated press. one thing lead to another (it helps to flirt with the desk assistants), and within 2 years i became a broadcast engineer for cbs.

btw, that was princeton driving school...

the best part of my job is the money, and the fact that i get to watch a lot of tv and surf the internet and say that i'm working.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Tom mate I love watching sport.
When I was young and single I would have to visit the buss section of London for meetings. We would break for lunch and on a sunny day stroll down to a square near St Paul, ring side seats were reserved at Balls wine bar next to 4 womens netball courts on the square.
Big Ben struck 1 and ten minutes later loads of nubile young maidens dressed in skimpy tops, short skirt, traditional blue knickers and knee high white socks would exit the many office blocks and play netball.I was instantly a big fan of this wonderful sport.
What is your favorite spectator sport?
i love hockey. it's in my blood.

lol, and after rereading your post, i guess i love toothless, bearded women who can skate and shoot. you know, canadian women...

actually, some of my fondest memories of childhood was when my older brother came home to visit and we'd play one on one hockey in the driveway. he'd use my dad's old belts to strap couch cushions around my legs, hand me a stick and a baseball mitt and stand me in front of a couple of tall garbage cans with a 2x4 across them and a sheet draped down the back as the net.
boy was mom pissed when she saw what we did to the couch and bedsheets.

and dad always hated the garbage men thinking that they would bang up even the toughest steel garbage cans he'd buy.

it's funny, pre-season hockey started tonight, so i kept flipping between hockey and baseball games on tv. the fastest and the slooooowest games on earth.
i could watch half a period of hockey, and in the same amount of time the same pitcher and the same batter were still clearing their nostrils and correcting their manhoods like no one was watching in the same at-bat.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
What dish that you make gets the most praise?

If you could hang with one celebrity for a day who would it be?
hmmm, it's a toss up between sunday gravy, pea soup, seafood fra diavolo, lamb stew, manhattan clam chowder, pulled pork, and bbq chicken. it depends on which family member you ask.

as far as celebrities go, well, i've met or have seen a lot up close so i'm not really impressed by any. maybe a famous fisherman/guide so we could go fishing with my son.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
What kind of music do you like?
a lot of different genres. my dad was a big audiophile, so i was raised on everything from classical, to big band, to sousa marches, ragtime, jazz, rock-n-roll, funk, and pop.

i grew up in the 70's and 80's, so after the great disco scare of '77-'78, i've come to like a little bit of everything. punk, alternative, metal, grunge, rap, hip-hop, electronica, and so on.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Tom mate I have watched a few hockey games in both Canada and America. I must say the on ice violence did appeal. I was very interested why the fans in the main did not attack each other?
My question is know the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is upon us do you wish you could hibernate?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #69
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Tom mate I have watched a few hockey games in both Canada and America. I must say the on ice violence did appeal. I was very interested why the fans in the main did not attack each other?
My question is know the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is upon us do you wish you could hibernate?
BT hibernates every night at work. His poor family has to deal with the awakening bear when he gets home.. He's hungry and cranky.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #70
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Just came across this section. What a great idea! Time to revive it?

Aww I miss buckytom and am sorry he felt he had to leave...I found his humour funny i.e. not too risque.