"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Cat, you just made my day! You explained perfectly, your DA got you some great gifts, she has a great boyfriend, and you all sound so happy!
Thank you! How can one not be so happy to live in this great land? She has her nice life with her nice boyfriend and we all have many friends. She is just the bit slow but her mind is all with us.

She is the woman I hope I could be in time. And maybe in time, I will find my way with education to be one the USA is proud of.

Thank you, Dawgluver for those most kind words.

Thank you.
~Cat

Old 08-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
It's very nice to meet you Cat. I'm enjoying reading your answers to the questions. One note about Beethoven and his deafness. He didn't lose his hearing until he was older. He was already and accomplished composer when he went deaf. Many stories are out there about how he cut the legs off his piano and would lay on the floor and play it. He could imagine the music in his head.

Welcome to the US too.

Thank you, and yes he did. I just wish I could see it like that on the floor. I wish I had the talent of that.

My questions
1. What are you studying in college?

2. Did any of your family move here with you or is it just you and your DA?

3. What's your favorite snack?
I am studying the journalism. It will help me to understand and go to the people where we could see all the differences if I get to reporter in some way.

I was moved here in USA to be alone to assist with DA and to get the education. It hurts sometimes when I miss my parents. It is only we two.

My favorite snack is original Chex mix. Also I love the Fritos.

I hope I answered your questions well. Thank you for asking.
~Cat

Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Those are great answers! I agree....I would love to spend the day with Beethoven.
I have always been amazed by his ability to compose wonderful music from memory.
I truly admire the fact that you have come to this country to look after your Aunt and that you have taken up the challenge to become an American citizen. May God bless you and your Aunt.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Cat, you are a very brave and strong woman! To leave your home at your age to care for an aging aunt in a new country with a new language and customs! Then add in going to college! What an adventure! I hope you enjoy it here. While we have a lot of things going wrong in this country right now, it's still a great place to live.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Proud American

I do thank you for you very kind words. But I am not really brave. I have been to other countries and to the USA on the visits between the school years. The visits were with my parents and so not alone like this. And so I am not alone here with DA. It was the first time I flew such a distance alone on an airplane this time.
I did not mind being alone on it. I had many things in my sack to do; My tablet, my journal, a crossword book, and my book to read. My parents put me in the first class this time for it being safer, they said.
I thought I liked the regular seats better. In first class they nag at you all the time to offer to eat or drink something. The man on the aisle seat across from me got very (I can not remember the word; something like polluted?) stupid from too much alcohol.
The airplane trip was the only part when I was alone. Aunty has a friend, Gwen, who drives her to the grocery and to the errands and they met me at the Asheville Airport. I did cry when I saw her and then we hugged so tight I never wanted to let go.
I am so amazed at this wonderful land. You have the breathing room of vast acreage all around. And I have heard some very funny phrases here!
My favorite is of one of my classmates who was having lunch with me. She said she needs to stop eating so much because, "If I keep eating like this, I'll be so big I will have my own zip code."
That is very funny!
Am I allowed to ask some questions in the Member Spotlight without the use of politics or religion? My world is narrow right now with DA and beginning the school year.
Again, thank you all for the nice questions. I will answer more if you like to ask.
~Cat
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post
I do thank you for you very kind words. But I am not really brave. I have been to other countries and to the USA on the visits between the school years. The visits were with my parents and so not alone like this. And so I am not alone here with DA. It was the first time I flew such a distance alone on an airplane this time.
I did not mind being alone on it. I had many things in my sack to do; My tablet, my journal, a crossword book, and my book to read. My parents put me in the first class this time for it being safer, they said.
I thought I liked the regular seats better. In first class they nag at you all the time to offer to eat or drink something. The man on the aisle seat across from me got very (I can not remember the word; something like polluted?) stupid from too much alcohol.
The airplane trip was the only part when I was alone. Aunty has a friend, Gwen, who drives her to the grocery and to the errands and they met me at the Asheville Airport. I did cry when I saw her and then we hugged so tight I never wanted to let go.
I am so amazed at this wonderful land. You have the breathing room of vast acreage all around. And I have heard some very funny phrases here!
My favorite is of one of my classmates who was having lunch with me. She said she needs to stop eating so much because, "If I keep eating like this, I'll be so big I will have my own zip code."
That is very funny!
Am I allowed to ask some questions in the Member Spotlight without the use of politics or religion? My world is narrow right now with DA and beginning the school year.
Again, thank you all for the nice questions. I will answer more if you like to ask.
~Cat
Too funny, Cat! Great stories!

Of course you can ask questions here, this is your thread!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
Proud American

Dawgluver said I could tell of the gifts I received from Aunty and my parents upon my being granted the citizenship. I was not sure to say of these because they are luxuries and I never want to hurt anyone. DA bought me the Vera Bradley handbag with the matching wallet in the pattern of English Rose. These are lovely things! She found the items on sale which were very inexpensive. I love these and they are special. Then she told me I needed a Smart Phone. I had a dumb phone, I think. Gwen took us to the Walmart and DA bought me the Samsung Galaxy Centura. Those are extremely expensive! It cost her nearly $100!
And today I received in the bank account a transfer of money from my parents which is enough to buy a nice car and now I can drive DA around. I received a driver license after passing the tests last month. DA has no car but Gwen was very kind and leant me her car to use to take the road test. Now I am to have a car for Aunty and me! I have a stipend monthly out of my trust from my parents and my little salary from my job and I must find a car which is economical on gas and safe. Does anyone know of the cars which are the hybrids? Is the required insurance of the vehicles high or more reasonable? I must do much researching and learning. I have never owned a car here. I will ask Gwen and DA, but I have found you my new friends and I am asking.
This is a very large thing to do for me.
And thank you all for listening! I feel so very American to be here.
~Cat
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cat, I would try to find a reputable used car dealer. Ask friends and friends of friends. You don't want to buy a brand new car, it starts to lose its value the minute you drive it off the lot. Do some research, and if the salesperson pressures you too much, don't be afraid to walk away.

I would take Gwen or another friend with you who can help you negotiate.

You will have to shop around for insurance, again, more research.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Proud American

Thank you, Dawgluver. Yes I do not like the new cars for they have often what is called "bugs" in them. Gwen did offer to help me and another neighbor did also offer. DA and I were outside to tend to the garden I planted and they arrived to visit us after I spoke to my parents.
I must make the careful decision for the best of DA and myself. I need something which is easy for DA and yet it is practical and uses the least of gas.
My parents were not much help to me as they do not know of USA cars and Aunty just told me she would leave the decision into my hands.
I learned what DA calls the "life lesson" tonight. I have the large responsibility of this. I hope I will do well.
~Cat
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Cat, it's been very interesting getting to know you I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and love it. It's fun and comfortable to drive, gets good gas mileage and is very reliable. I've had it for 8 years. Let me know if you have questions.

So, what do you like to do for fun when you're not busy with school and your aunt?