"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Getting to know - Catina (CatPat)

To one of our newest members:

Who do you admire the most?

What is your favorite leisure activity?

Who would you choose as your guests at your table for a special meal?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Proud American

Oh!! I just have seen this. Thank you Katie H. for my submission.

I admire many. My Aunty Stela, one.
And others, the brave and daring forefathers of my new country. They fought against all the odds to lose, but carried the independence from England.
All the men and women who fought in all the wars including today. I admire my parents who made me who I am today. I admire those who did take over and throw away Communism in my country.

But most of all, I admire God because He gave His Son for to redeem us. I am Christian and so for all these things that were given to me I owe God and admire Him for His grace and mercy.

My favorite leisure activities are very random. I love to read, I love to play piano, I love to spend time with the pets, and most of all to listen to Aunty Stela speak of the old country and the times gone by. I also like to ride the bike and visit the library where it is when I can look up into things of history and learn about my new country. Sometimes I just go to walk with my dog to think upon what I see and what I learn.

Who would I choose as my guests for a special meal? All of you and my family and neighbors and all that who know me. If we had the large dining room I would. The meal would be a nice Romanian cooking with help from Aunty Stela. It would be a satisfaction to the ones who attend.

I hope I answered the questions to be right. I do like to share this and I am looking to more questions from you.

Thank you!
~Cat

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hi Cat,

What was the most memorable thing you saw when you first got to the US?

What is the best Romanian dish you've ever eaten?

If you went to Disney World, what would be the first thing/ride/event you'd most look forward to?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

What is the one dish you would love to learn to cook like an expert?

What is your favorite piano piece to play?

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be?
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hi Cat,

What was the most memorable thing you saw when you first got to the US?

What is the best Romanian dish you've ever eaten?

If you went to Disney World, what would be the first thing/ride/event you'd most look forward to?
Hi Dawglover. Thank you for your questions.

I was in the British Airways plane to fly to the airport in Washington, DC. As the approach came, the pilot told us to look out on my side of the airplane and he said that was the (I forgot the word) place where they have all the memorials. I saw them and began to cry because right there in the front of me was the symbol of the greatest nation on the earth.

The best Romanian dish I have ever eaten is of my mother and DA's delicious lamb roast. I looked for the recipe in Google and found this very close:

Lamb roast recipe

Aunty Stela is with boyfriend tonight to dinner in town so later I will ask about the differences she does.

I have heard of the Disney World. I like roller coasters that make older people sick. If they have those, I would like to ride in one. I also would like to visit the Epcot Center. I don't know very much about it but I would like to go visit and see.

I hope I have answered everything satisfactorily for you, Dawgluver. If not please let me know.
~Cat
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post

Hi Dawglover. Thank you for your questions.

I was in the British Airways plane to fly to the airport in Washington, DC. As the approach came, the pilot told us to look out on my side of the airplane and he said that was the (I forgot the word) place where they have all the memorials. I saw them and began to cry because right there in the front of me was the symbol of the greatest nation on the earth.

The best Romanian dish I have ever eaten is of my mother and DA's delicious lamb roast. I looked for the recipe in Google and found this very close:

Lamb roast recipe

Aunty Stela is with boyfriend tonight to dinner in town so later I will ask about the differences she does.

I have heard of the Disney World. I like roller coasters that make older people sick. If they have those, I would like to ride in one. I also would like to visit the Epcot Center. I don't know very much about it but I would like to go visit and see.

I hope I have answered everything satisfactorily for you, Dawgluver. If not please let me know.
~Cat
Perfect, Cat! Thank you! Wow, DA has a boyfriend? I'm very impressed with your DA! (and you too!). I thought you said Aunty Stela was old, blind, and feeble. She sure sounds like she's doing quite well for herself! Some of us may need to take a few lessons from her, Aunty Stela rocks!

Your command of English is excellent, especially after only speaking it for 3 years!

I too would love to go on rides that make old people sick!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
What is the one dish you would love to learn to cook like an expert?

What is your favorite piano piece to play?

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be?
Hi Hoot. Thank you for your questions.

I would love to learn how to cook souffles, especially the spinach and the cheese. There is the restaurant in Brasov as they serve these and they are very good. I hope to find out this here.

My favorite piano piece to play is Knecht Ruprecht in A minor by Robert Schumann.

I would want the day of history to be with Ludwig Von Beethoven. As he was deaf I want to see how he composes the music. I can not comprehend how it is that he did this.

I hope I answered the questions well, Hoot. If not, please let me know.
~Cat
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Perfect, Cat! Thank you! Wow, DA has a boyfriend? I'm very impressed with your DA! (and you too!). I thought you said Aunty Stela was old, blind, and feeble. She sure sounds like she's doing quite well for herself! Some of us may need to take a few lessons from her, Aunty Stela rocks!

Your command of English is excellent, especially after only speaking it for 3 years!
Thank you very much! Her boyfriend is 91. He has a pair who drives the car and who help them into the restaurants. They both are feeble and they have the walkers but he has the sight. He reads the menu to her and they do the order that way. It takes a long time of patience when they have the desire to go outside to the restaurants. They are extremely slow with the walkers and of choosing the menu items. He does the arrange on DA's plate where he tells her where each food is.
She is an amazement to me. It is not obvious she is blind by talking to her. They go outside when they feel strong to do that. Though many times they become tired and only speak on the phone on the most nights.
I think DA had felt good today because she still was proud of me and did sleep many hours the last night. It is my wish to that they could feel better more and go out there more.
Thank you. I hope I did explain well?
~Cat
Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post

Thank you very much! Her boyfriend is 91. He has a pair who drives the car and who help them into the restaurants. They both are feeble and they have the walkers but he has the sight. He reads the menu to her and they do the order that way. It takes a long time of patience when they have the desire to go outside to the restaurants. They are extremely slow with the walkers and of choosing the menu items. He does the arrange on DA's plate where he tells her where each food is.
She is an amazement to me. It is not obvious she is blind by talking to her. They go outside when they feel strong to do that. Though many times they become tired and only speak on the phone on the most nights.
I think DA had felt good today because she still was proud of me and did sleep many hours the last night. It is my wish to that they could feel better more and go out there more.
Thank you. I hope I did explain well?
~Cat
Cat, you just made my day! You explained perfectly, your DA got you some great gifts, she has a great boyfriend, and you all sound so happy!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Master Chef

It's very nice to meet you Cat. I'm enjoying reading your answers to the questions. One note about Beethoven and his deafness. He didn't lose his hearing until he was older. He was already and accomplished composer when he went deaf. Many stories are out there about how he cut the legs off his piano and would lay on the floor and play it. He could imagine the music in his head.

Welcome to the US too.

My questions
1. What are you studying in college?

2. Did any of your family move here with you or is it just you and your DA?

3. What's your favorite snack?