"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Thanks for letting us know. Definitely hope he's safe.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #22
Senior Cook

If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I appreciate everybody's concern.. Works been ramping up for inspections and we've had several exercises preparing for these inspections. On top of this Internet at work has been down due to a lightning strike. I am fine. Other than a small contingent that went to Los Alamos, NM for the fires, we've stayed on base. Here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?
1. I've had many great teachers throughout my schooling.. Mrs. Holm, my 5th grade teacher stands out as someone that never let me back down from a challenge and always knew my potential.

2. I know this sounds crazy as I'd lived here before for 8 years, I'd love to go back to Japan and live there, traveling all over the country and experiencing everything all over again. Festivals.. foods.. friends.. it'd be an expensive trip to do nowadays.. but I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

3. I've done many things in my life that I am proud of. Always on the lookout for the other guy. I've served my country honorably, I've volunteered for a few years as a firefighter in my community before I got hired full time. I'd like to be remembered that I've chosen and guided my life to help others.

4. Though I've come to the realization that I don't have the patience to teach, I'd rather teach those ten people how to cook the meal.. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Great questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Do you have any pets?
Sweet or sour?
What personality trait do you most value in yourself?
I have 3 dogs. Yubee and Mima are Chihuahua sisters from the same litter. They are mama's girls.. Cooper is my baby. She is a Labrador/Weimaraner mix that my girlfriend and I adopted from a rescue last year.

Sweet.. Always sweet...

I would have to say that I take ownership in whatever I do, be it good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?
Bill Gates.. I'd donate half of my money to myself..

-Damien
Old 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

are you a reader? what kind of books do you like to read? how many books do you read in a year? i know i ask this question over and over. i believe that what a person reads tells a lot about that person.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
are you a reader? what kind of books do you like to read? how many books do you read in a year? i know i ask this question over and over. i believe that what a person reads tells a lot about that person.
Not all that much.. I drive my gf nuts with the amount of cookbooks I own though.. (45 at last count).. (mostly Asian, BBQ, Southern and camping) I usually cook from memory and use my cookbooks for ideas.. On my Kindle I have 6 books.. I prefer non-fiction.. centered around emergency services stories.. Decision Points, To the rescue and A Paramedics story are in my queue.. Part way through The unforgiving minute, You are a Dog, Population: 485 and The Art of War..

Other than that, I've good a book case shelf full of instructional manuals regarding my work.. Essentials of firefighting, Aerial Driver Operator, fireground tactics, Airport Rescue Firefighter, Fireground Hydraulics, Fire Instructor, Building construction for the fire service, First Responder, training exercises and interview skills for the prospective firefighter. That's about it..

-Damien
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #26
Master Chef

What is your favourite smell?

If you could pick 3 dinner guests to have at your table, who would they be? (Dead or alive)

Which country would you want to immigrate to if you had to move from where you are and why?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
What is your favourite smell?

If you could pick 3 dinner guests to have at your table, who would they be? (Dead or alive)

Which country would you want to immigrate to if you had to move from where you are and why?
It's a tossup between fresh cut grass and the smell you get when it's about to rain..

My dad, my mom and my sister. They live on the other side of the US...

Japan.. As I may have mentioned before, I'd lived and worked there for 8 years. There is so much to do, so many different options and it's something I hold close.

-Damien
Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
Head Chef

What dish that you make gets the most praise?

If you could hang with one celebrity for a day who would it be?
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I really don't have a dish that garners most praise as my GF seems to love everything I cook for her. I've been told that I make the best garlic mashed potatoes in the fire department...

Toss up between Jessica Alba, Jessica Garner and Mila Kunis.. They are absolutely gorgeous women..

-Damien
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #30
Head Chef

You're a fireman, that's great.

How long have you been a fireman and what made you decide to be one?