"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

SANs, huh.

are you a netapp guy? do you get much into i.t., or just the storage throughput itself?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Was that your bear sitting at the picnic table in your previous avatar? What was his/her name? Do you have bears in Texas, and if so, are they frequent visitors?

What is Mrs..40's favorite thing you cook? And hers for you?

What's your favorite woodworking tool/implement? What wood do you like best for projects?
I really liked that picture too. If I were to meet a bear, it would be preferable to meet a very polite one just sitting at a table waiting for his pick-i-nik basket. Texas has a growing population of Black Bears especially in the East Texas piney woods. They are migrating in from drought stricken areas in OK, AR, and LA.

Hard to say what Mrs. 40 C's favorite is. Elvis Presley's Favorite Pound Cake, Steak au Poivre...Goulash. She makes a killer breakfast sandwich and is a tremendous help getting me out the door on my way to work (with all my stuff) in the morning.

Favorite tool? Has to be the tablesaw, no the drill-press, no the biscuit jointer, probably the tablesaw. I don't spend nearly enough time on woodworking anymore... just not enough hours in the day. Walnut is my favorite wood for furniture. Doesn't dull my tools, easy to work with, takes a great oil finish.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

1. Do you, or have you ever hunted wild game, and if so, what is your favorite to hunt, to eat?

2. Do you have daugter/s, and if so, when they go out for the first time, with an honorable young man, are you cleaning that .40 caliber, or if they aren't old enough yet, will you?

3. If you had to choose between participating in a polar bear plunge (jumping into ice water through a hole cut in a frozen body of water), and sky diving, which would you choose, and why?

4. If you could have any job, and I mean any job, and it paid sufficiently to support your family, what would that job be, and why?

5. What is your dream BBQ rig. and why?

6. What is your favorite genre of music?

7. If you were a toy, what toy would you be, and who would own the toy?

8. What is your dream car?

9. Now that you have more experience under your belt, what would be your first choice as a side-arm; as a hunting rifle?

10. What is more fun to shoot, pistol, rifle, bow, crossbow, slingshot, blowgun?

11. If you were an insect, what would you be, and why?
I've done a lot of hunting when I was younger. But don't do much now. I was always a fan of upland birds... pheasant, quail, dove. I hunted quail with a bow and arrow. Dove breast topped with jalapeño wrapped in bacon and broiled or grilled is hard to beat.

I've run off more than one would be boyfriend whose manners had been misplaced. One in particular needed extra encouragement to leave and never return.

Skydive by proxy. I'm not jumping out of a perfectly good airplane or into a frozen lake.

Beach bum. No commuting.

A large trailer mounted one that Bubba is responsible to for using.

I love music and listen to many different genres. Bluegrass, Country, Western, Classical, Rock, Jazz, Electronica. Just depends.

A rubick's cube. People have a hard time figuring me out.

The car I own now. HO Charger with track suspension. Passes anything but gas stations.

Still have and carry my S&W .40. My rifle is a National Match M1 Garand.

I've owned and shot all of them. My father started me in the NRA at age 8 in .22 rifle competitions. Along with my drivers license and a car at 16 I got two M1911a .45 caliber handguns and started pistol competitions. Archery is the most fun. I won a gold medal at state competition in the Texas Field Archery association back in the 80's.

Specialization is for insects.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Looks like you could have used a longer fuse
There was no fuse. Just black powder in the flash hole.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
SANs, huh.

are you a netapp guy? do you get much into i.t., or just the storage throughput itself?
I manage about 1/2 a petabyte of FC data. EMC VNX series and HP XP24000 replicating to our Disaster Recovery bunker in the midwest.

I also manage a private global network (Hong Kong to Los Angeles) running Linux dedicated to server backup.

I'm all about IT.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Executive Chef

What do you feel about the firearms laws in Texas? Do you think they are too accessible for people, or everything is fine the way they are?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
What do you feel about the firearms laws in Texas? Do you think they are too accessible for people, or everything is fine the way they are?
There are a couple of interesting bills in the House. One bill proposes a new law making it a felony to enforce Federal gun laws within the borders of Texas. The second proposes changing the existing law making cowboy style "Open Carry" legal.

Since this is a politically sensitive issue, we should move further discussion about this topic to PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

You didn't disappoint. Like so many others in this forum, you're welcome at my campfire, anytime. I also love archery, and used to be a very good shot. Sadly, my bow stayed young longer than I did. That 70 lb. pull with a 20% let-off became a bit much when I hit about 50 years of age. It threw very fast arrows for a weapon purchased in 1975. I had a Carrol Compound. I grew up with a 35 lb. recurve made by the Root Bow company. It's still a thing of beauty. It now belongs to my eldest daughter, though it's still at my house.

People who have never shot a bow don't realize how powerful, or accurate a good bow can be.

The baddest bow I ever pulled was a 90 lb. compound, with a 60% let-off. I was about 40 when I tried it out. I was surprised at how easily I pulled it. Yeh, I want my 22 year old body back.

Good to know ya, .40.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The baddest bow I ever pulled was a 90 lb. compound, with a 60% let-off. I was about 40 when I tried it out.
I shot that TFAA comp with a Pearson ZB1 modified to pull at 85 lbs. I manufactured a 4" overdraw. Arrow velocity was about 290fps at 10 yards.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I manage about 1/2 a petabyte of FC data. EMC VNX series and HP XP24000 replicating to our Disaster Recovery bunker in the midwest.

I also manage a private global network (Hong Kong to Los Angeles) running Linux dedicated to server backup.

I'm all about IT.

cool beans. i've never got to work on hp sans or emc. we use several multi petabyte systems for our data storage,almost always netapp since we have the room and the coolng capabilities. our data is for tv shows, commercials, their associated metadata, etc.. all fc i/o on the head end. but i just get to dabble in it. we work on too many areas of technology to be jacks of many trades, masters on none. we call yougl giys when we get in the weeds.

ok, back to ypu.

how do you feel about texas being it's own country? lol.

i've seen news stories about how every few years texans have a referendum to see if they would like to be as much.

what reminded me of it was watching a tv documentary recently where little asian american kids were being interviewed about their ethnicity. when one cute-as-a-button girl was asked if her dad was "from america" she answered no. he was from texas. lol.

whaddya think?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote