"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
There are a couple of interesting bills in the House. One bill proposes a new law making it a felony to enforce Federal gun laws within the borders of Texas. The second proposes changing the existing law making cowboy style "Open Carry" legal.

Since this is a politically sensitive issue, we should move further discussion about this topic to PM.
When I lived in Aransas Pass in the early 70's, a lot of folks would come in to town from their ranches. They wore side arms and just about all the stores had pegs where they had to take off their gun and hand it over to the store owner to hang up. Then they would get it back when they left. There was a cafe where everyone met. There was quite an array of weapons hanging up there. Aransas at that time was just a sleepy shrimping village with a population of a grand 3,000 folks. I loved living there. My son was born in their 12 bed hospital.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

1. Tell us about how you learned to cook

2. Are there things you don't like to cook (and/or eat)

3. What have you always wanted to cook (and/or eat) but never tried?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
1. Tell us about how you learned to cook

2. Are there things you don't like to cook (and/or eat)

3. What have you always wanted to cook (and/or eat) but never tried?
In simple terms, from others...Mom, dad, aunts, uncles, people at church. I managed truck stops for a short while between careers and was exposed to commercial food service through the attached restaurant but was not responsible for it. Mrs 40 C and I are considering a membership in the Chef's Club at Houston's LeNotre' Academy. Chef based instruction surrounding classic cuisine.

I have a hard time cooking or eating many veggies. Cabbage, rhubarb, beets immediately come to mind. I'm getting better about it now that I'm older.

There is a running joke at our house about what I want for dinner. The answer varies but it's usually Pheasant Under Glass or Beef Wellington. One of these days....

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Beef Wellington is surprisingly easy. It just has a few more steps than most recipes. You can skip a few of these steps by buying powdered demi glace and puff pastry. There are also many different recipes to suit your taste. Just pour yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, or two, turn on some of your favorite cooking music and have at it. You will amaze yourself....
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
Master Chef

You've already had some interesting questions and given some interesting answers so here goes my 3....

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 items would you want in your backpack and why?

Which one song would you say has the most meaning to you and reminds you most of you?

If you were to pick your last words, what would they be?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 items would you want in your backpack and why?

Which one song would you say has the most meaning to you and reminds you most of you?

If you were to pick your last words, what would they be?
A knife, flint and steel, 100 yards of rope. Is a good looking blonde to carry the backpack an option? With those 3 things, food, clothing, and shelter can be obtained.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Southern Cross. Reminds me of some very happy times. I've been to some of the locations in the song and I've seen the Southern Cross.

OMG FMO TGIF

Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
A knife, flint and steel, 100 yards of rope. Is a good looking blonde to carry the backpack an option? (Sorry, I'm busy that day ) With those 3 things, food, clothing, and shelter can be obtained.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash - Southern Cross. Reminds me of some very happy times. I've been to some of the locations in the song and I've seen the Southern Cross.

OMG FMO TGIF

Good answers!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #28

Site Administrator

If you could hang out with any famous chef for a weekend, who would it be and why?

Whats on your wish list for cooking related gear?

Tell us about you most memorable meal
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If you could hang out with any famous chef for a weekend, who would it be and why?

Whats on your wish list for cooking related gear?

Tell us about you most memorable meal
Justin Wilson. We would get along famously and probably have a great deal in common.

I'm pretty well covered in the gear department just now. A bigger house with a bigger kitchen would be very welcome.

I once paid to go on a guided bowhunt in central Texas at a ranch that raises exotic deer. Red deer, sitka deer, fallow deer, African antelope species and the like. It was very expensive. We stayed in the bunkhouse, a two story victorian mansion and had chef prepared meals at lunch and dinner.
Dinner on our last night included roasted tenderloin of impala and smoked venison ribs.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #30

Site Administrator

Do you have hobbies? (cooking is a necessity in my book so that one's off the list)

What is your favorite kitchen tool?

How did you find Discuss Cooking?