"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Getting to Know | forty_caliber

forty_caliber has gamely agreed to be our next interview and I have the privileged of beginning. Forty (may I call you forty?) joined DC in 2010 and shortly after posted this recipe that has become a standard at my house as a base for a spicy lamb stew. I never knew you could bake barley prior to this. Clever forty :)

Anyone may ask a question but please be sure to review these interview guidelines. So let's get started ...

1. You have an interesting username and avatar; not your typical cooking forum faire. What significance do they hold?

2. What do you like to do for fun?

3. What 3 items do you have in your larders that would surprise us?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
So let's get started ...

1. You have an interesting username and avatar; not your typical cooking forum faire. What significance do they hold?

2. What do you like to do for fun?

3. What 3 items do you have in your larders that would surprise us?
Forty_caliber is my nickname from service as a police officer. Periodically, every officer has to "qualify" with his/her sidearm. As a young twenty something, I chose a large stainless steel S&W automatic chambered in .40 caliber which was brand new at the time. A Texas Ranger was the administrator of the test for our department. I qualified with a perfect score 100/100. Challenges were exchanged and pretty soon the Ranger and I were shooting another round. The looser had to buy the winner a steak dinner. I sure enjoyed that steak.

Habano Ligero? Simply said, the two things I look for in a hand-made imported cigar. Habano wrapper and straight ligero filler. Spicy like a hot pepper.

I work long hours (some from home) and don't really go out to do a lot of things. I've gotten to be kind of a home body. Don't really want to go out since I have almost anything I could want right here. DC, dogs, kids, coffee, cigars, woodworking, and MOVIES.

Better than Good Bacon Jam
Pigs Ears
Little Debbie's Brownies (DS will do almost anything for a brownie)

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Have you taken the cannon out for any celebration since the new year started?

Since you have the Mauviel unwrapped, what new set of cookware has caught your eye?

What is the stupidest PEBCAK problem you've been needed to fix?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Was that your bear sitting at the picnic table in your previous avatar? What was his/her name? Do you have bears in Texas, and if so, are they frequent visitors?

What is Mrs..40's favorite thing you cook? And hers for you?

What's your favorite woodworking tool/implement? What wood do you like best for projects?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Have you taken the cannon out for any celebration since the new year started?

Since you have the Mauviel unwrapped, what new set of cookware has caught your eye?

What is the stupidest PEBCAK problem you've been needed to fix?
I've not had the cannon out since the beginning of the 3rd millennium. It's really just a noise maker but it's so loud that it can break windows.

Cannon - YouTube

Probably not much in the way of cookware for a while. I'd like to order a couple of open stock items to go with the new Mauviel set. A Windsor saucepan comes to mind. Mrs. 40 is looking to replace our dinnerware soon. So far we've looked at some Mikasa and Lennox but haven't made any final decisions. DD will be getting her own apartment in a year or two. We have been systematically replacing certain items so the hand-me-downs can suffer the "first-apartment" kitchen disasters that are undoubtedly going to occur.

PEBCAK. Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard. I don't really do much end user support as a Systems Analyst. I work with large scale Storage Area Networks (virtualized storage). I hear stories though. This one happens more often than you might think.....Generally speaking computers work best when they are powered on. You probably shouldn't call into the helpdesk and complain that your monitor doesn't work until you check that the CPU is running.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Video not loading. Thanks for the answers :)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Master Chef

1. Do you, or have you ever hunted wild game, and if so, what is your favorite to hunt, to eat?

2. Do you have daugter/s, and if so, when they go out for the first time, with an honorable young man, are you cleaning that .40 caliber, or if they aren't old enough yet, will you?

3. If you had to choose between participating in a polar bear plunge (jumping into ice water through a hole cut in a frozen body of water), and sky diving, which would you choose, and why?

4. If you could have any job, and I mean any job, and it paid sufficiently to support your family, what would that job be, and why?

5. What is your dream BBQ rig. and why?

6. What is your favorite genre of music?

7. If you were a toy, what toy would you be, and who would own the toy?

8. What is your dream car?

9. Now that you have more experience under your belt, what would be your first choice as a side-arm; as a hunting rifle?

10. What is more fun to shoot, pistol, rifle, bow, crossbow, slingshot, blowgun?

11. If you were an insect, what would you be, and why?

That should get you thinking. I'm always supervised by the quality of answers to such strange questions. When people think outside of the norm, they often show how brilliant they really are. You will be no exception.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... That should get you thinking. I'm always supervised by the quality of answers to such strange questions. When people think outside of the norm, they often show how brilliant they really are. You will be no exception.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
But no pressure or anything ...
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I've done number 3... both... at the same time ;^)

Off to look at the cannon
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks like you could have used a longer fuse