"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

I work for a company that sells 3D printers. it is pretty futuristic stuff even though it has been around for about 20 years. The industry is just starting to get mainstream attention now. My company is a small privately owned company headquartered in Israel. We specialize in high precision printed parts. Recently we have made a big splash in the entertainment industry. A lot of the movie production companies are now using our printers. if you have seen any movies lately then you have seen stuff printed on our printers. Coraline could not have been made without us. Avatar used us. The Iron Man suit that Robert Downy wore in the most recent Iron Man movie was printed out for him on our printer.

My job itself is not all that exciting, but the company is. I am in charge of the service contracts on the printers. The people I work with are intelligent, creative, collaborative people who like to have fun and that makes all the difference.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I work for a company that sells 3D printers. it is pretty futuristic stuff even though it has been around for about 20 years. The industry is just starting to get mainstream attention now. My company is a small privately owned company headquartered in Israel. We specialize in high precision printed parts. Recently we have made a big splash in the entertainment industry. A lot of the movie production companies are now using our printers. if you have seen any movies lately then you have seen stuff printed on our printers. Coraline could not have been made without us. Avatar used us. The Iron Man suit that Robert Downy wore in the most recent Iron Man movie was printed out for him on our printer.

My job itself is not all that exciting, but the company is. I am in charge of the service contracts on the printers. The people I work with are intelligent, creative, collaborative people who like to have fun and that makes all the difference.
Very cool! I like your work!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

It's a lot of fun PF. It is hard to describe to people what the printers actually do though unless they see it first hand. Some people get it, but other people just can not envision what a 3D printer does and how it works. People often ask me "so you print it out on paper and then...?", but there is no paper involved. It actually prints out an actual item. For the Iron Man suit, it was designed in the computer then printed on our printer and They were able to reach into the printer and take the suit out and try it on just like that (after some minor cleaning).
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
It's a lot of fun PF. It is hard to describe to people what the printers actually do though unless they see it first hand. Some people get it, but other people just can not envision what a 3D printer does and how it works. People often ask me "so you print it out on paper and then...?", but there is no paper involved. It actually prints out an actual item. For the Iron Man suit, it was designed in the computer then printed on our printer and They were able to reach into the printer and take the suit out and try it on just like that (after some minor cleaning).
Hey GB. If I send you a photo of Halle Berry...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A replicator!!! Even cooler!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

My boss actually has a printout of a naked woman on his windowsill. She is only about 1/20th of life size though. Swing on by my office with the photo Andy and I will see what our engineers can do. You are only a few minutes away from us anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
A replicator!!! Even cooler!
What a great way to describe it. Thanks PF! I am going to use that from now on. That really gets across what it kind of does.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
What a great way to describe it. Thanks PF! I am going to use that from now on. That really gets across what it kind of does.
Too much Star Trek...

It's a knack I have for boiling down the information to layman's terms. I love analogies! It did require your second description, though, for me to see what you were saying.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

You just made my life so much easier
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You just made my life so much easier
Wow and no coffee yet!