"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Yeh, I have to admit that I teased my kids, and they're probably getting me back. But I sounds like I wasn't quite as cruel a teaser as was your dad, except maybe once with PAG in a grocery store. But I won't tell what I did to her. She can if she wants.

My favorite mean thing to do to them was to pour ice water over the shower curtain. I called it "ballancing the scales". I mean, they were teenagers, with all the attitude, and stubbornness that goes with the age.

To be fair, all of my youngens were relatively easy to raise. None of them were wild, or troublemakers. And all of them had great moral values. They were a bit headstrong though (that's a teen's primary job!) And it was my job to steer them away from trouble, if possible. They wanted to expand their experiences, and I wanted to keep them safe, and still let them grow. In the end, I think we struck a pretty good balance. And just so everyone knows, the boys were way, way, way more stubborn than were the girls. But they could also shovel off the roof better when the snow got deep.

And as adults, they are amazing, and that's me trying to be as objective as possible.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I was an awkward and shy teen and while walking the aisles of the store a guy that I didn't even notice at first walked by. My dad yells out "What's that Jess, that guy has a nice butt?" I noticed the guy then because he turned to stare at me... I was so embarrassed. Dad did other things to embarrass us growing up but not very often and they pale in comparison to the stuff that mom did to embarrass or that we did to embarrass each other.

Dad was also good at getting us kids in trouble. Like, on Sundays when we were off to church and supposed to be on our best behavior, winter time we'd get a snowball to the back as we were headed to the car. We'd of course retaliate just as mom came out the door. He usually got in trouble too, but still, if he started it we shouldn't have gotten in trouble at all, at least from our perspective. Or the squirt gun fights in the house. "You kids take those outside, you're getting the house all wet." "But dad started it." "I don't care if your dad started it you know better and if you don't get outside with those I'll finish it!" I'm sure as soon as we were outside dad probably got an earful about his behavior from mom.

As for his lectures, they weren't about "how could you do this to me" or anything like that. Mom was the one to try the guilt trips. Dad's were these long drawn out explanations of what exactly we did wrong, why it was wrong, the sorts of negative consequences we could experience from what we did wrong, and when applicable, the logic behind why not doing it would help us in the long run. Thirty minutes minimum. As we got older he did use a little bit of a guilt trip sometimes. We got "I'm not going to tell you not to do that because you already know right from wrong, and that it's important to do what's right." I don't know about my brothers but it drove my sister and I crazy because it was like being told "Sure, go ahead, if you want to feel guilty for the next few days."

Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Yeh, I have to admit that I teased my kids, and they're probably getting me back. But I sounds like I wasn't quite as cruel a teaser as was your dad, except maybe once with PAG in a grocery store. But I won't tell what I did to her. She can if she wants.

My favorite mean thing to do to them was to pour ice water over the shower curtain. I called it "ballancing the scales". I mean, they were teenagers, with all the attitude, and stubbornness that goes with the age.

To be fair, all of my youngens were relatively easy to raise. None of them were wild, or troublemakers. And all of them had great moral values. They were a bit headstrong though (that's a teen's primary job!) And it was my job to steer them away from trouble, if possible. They wanted to expand their experiences, and I wanted to keep them safe, and still let them grow. In the end, I think we struck a pretty good balance. And just so everyone knows, the boys were way, way, way more stubborn than were the girls. But they could also shovel off the roof better when the snow got deep.

And as adults, they are amazing, and that's me trying to be as objective as possible.

Sounds a lot like my childhood
My Dad was not too bad either, just naughty! He still makes prank calls and turns off the hot water when I shower etc. Going to visit him is always a bag full of surprises :)
Have a good day!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I was an awkward and shy teen and while walking the aisles of the store a guy that I didn't even notice at first walked by. My dad yells out "What's that Jess, that guy has a nice butt?" I noticed the guy then because he turned to stare at me... I was so embarrassed. Dad did other things to embarrass us growing up but not very often and they pale in comparison to the stuff that mom did to embarrass or that we did to embarrass each other.

Dad was also good at getting us kids in trouble. Like, on Sundays when we were off to church and supposed to be on our best behavior, winter time we'd get a snowball to the back as we were headed to the car. We'd of course retaliate just as mom came out the door. He usually got in trouble too, but still, if he started it we shouldn't have gotten in trouble at all, at least from our perspective. Or the squirt gun fights in the house. "You kids take those outside, you're getting the house all wet." "But dad started it." "I don't care if your dad started it you know better and if you don't get outside with those I'll finish it!" I'm sure as soon as we were outside dad probably got an earful about his behavior from mom.

As for his lectures, they weren't about "how could you do this to me" or anything like that. Mom was the one to try the guilt trips. Dad's were these long drawn out explanations of what exactly we did wrong, why it was wrong, the sorts of negative consequences we could experience from what we did wrong, and when applicable, the logic behind why not doing it would help us in the long run. Thirty minutes minimum. As we got older he did use a little bit of a guilt trip sometimes. We got "I'm not going to tell you not to do that because you already know right from wrong, and that it's important to do what's right." I don't know about my brothers but it drove my sister and I crazy because it was like being told "Sure, go ahead, if you want to feel guilty for the next few days."
Having the responsibility to be good and ladylike was very important and if you messed up, you didn't get to go the next time. Problem was, the fella that made the rules (Daddy) was the one who couldn't stand seeing his girls so somber in public. He'd make faces or whisper jokes until we were rolling on the floor.

I got the responsibility lectures...

Oh, and Jess...my Dad would have slapped the cute guy on the butt and then pointed at me when he turned around, you got off lightly.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Having the responsibility to be good and ladylike was very important and if you messed up, you didn't get to go the next time. Problem was, the fella that made the rules (Daddy) was the one who couldn't stand seeing his girls so somber in public. He'd make faces or whisper jokes until we were rolling on the floor.

I got the responsibility lectures...

Oh, and Jess...my Dad would have slapped the cute guy on the butt and then pointed at me when he turned around, you got off lightly.
Sounds like he did have a naughty streak after all :)
Loved the little story PAG very funny!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #45
Master Chef

The Father's/Husband's Creed

Let it be known by all and everyone for all time and forever that doting fathers are men, who yearn to be boys, but with the desire to raise up children from the time of their birth, until the time the said father is removed from mortality, to adulthood, providing valuable instruction, advise, adventure, and life skills, with the insertion of fun and frolic at every opportunity. Also let it be known that good men never lose that childlike quality of making harmless, if sometimes inappropriate pranks, and will initiate those pranks on children and wives at some obscure and unpredictable time. It is a part of their nature and can not be stopped.

Just as a woman feels the irresistible need to shop, and once in any kind of market, becomes as unstoppable as a tornado, men are persuaded by their own instincts to play said pranks.

Let it be known that those pranks are enacted with the desire to create fun, for both the father/husband, and the recipient of the prank. However, due to the nature of pranks, this sometimes is not that case and may cause consternation to the recipient of the prank.

For all who have been on the receiving end of inappropriate, or poorly timed pranks, I offer my sympathy and apology on behalf of all good fathers and husbands throughout the world.

Also let it be known that good fathers and husbands would give their lives for their children and wives, and rarely ever try to purposely cause problems. Indeed, we try to resolve them, and with as little physical force as is required. This will lead to lectures as we are logical creatures and strive to assist our offspring in understanding the benefits and consequences of behaviors in any given situation. This may lead to lectures.

Hear ye, hear ye, children and wives of the world. Good fathers/husbands value you above all material things, above every other pleasurable enterprise, even more than a Caramello or great stick of Pepperoni, or even, gallon jug of perfect Maple Syrup. And because we put forth so much effort to give you our all, we desire that you would forget and forgive any and all shortcomings of good and great fathers/husbands, just as we forget and forgive ridiculous decreases in bank accounts cause by inappropriate shopping exploits by children and wives.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Now, THAT belongs on a Hallmark card!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #47
Master Chef

That was Brilliant Weed :) I don't usually like poetry!