"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer
Getting to know joesfolk

1. How did you find Discuss Cooking?

2. What moment are you most proud of in your life?

3. Who is your idol and why?

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
1. Who is your favorite Author?

2. Favorite dish for a cold or rainy day.

3. If you could would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Head Chef
I don't remember how I found DC. Just glad I did.
There is no one moment I am most proud of but the achievement I am most proud of is teaching my daughter to read.
Favorite author: Margaret Mitchell
There is no one favorite dish for a cold rainy day but a good hardy soup with crusty rolls or cornbread is always a blessing.
The only way I would open a restaurant is if there were no menu and each day I could cook pretty much as the mood hit me.
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
do you read a lot? marg mitchel was a one book author, what kind of books do you like? how many books do you read in a month? reading is a gateway to the world. your daughter is a lucky girl.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Head Chef
Babetoo, I used to read voraciously but these days I only read about 2 books a month. I read a wide variety of books but when I am looking for escapism I read Christiamn pioneer romances. Unfortunately dd takes after her father's side of the family. They wouldn't pick up a book if their lives depended on it.

Barbara L, my favorite teacher was Mr. Robbins. He selected a group of 10 6th graders to fill out his class of fifth graders. They let him pick his own group because he was going to teach a split class. Of course he picked the brightest students because he wanted to be sure that their education wasn't hurt by the split class. It made us all feel special though I think he regretted his choices sometimes. He used to call us his 10 little instigators.

If money were no object I would travel, see the great museums, take cooking classes, take all kinds of classes. I might even open a food pantry for the poor. Around here the recession has hit really hard and I know from experience how much food just goes to waste from the grocery stores. I have always thought the the stores should be required by law to donate their outdated produce bread and meat to food ministries.
While I love to prepare food for people I would get more satisfaction from teaching them how to do it for themselves.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
Hi joesfolk, do you realise you could open such a restaurant? You'd have to have a niche market in mind, like organic food, but it could actually work, especially if you became known in your local area as a good cook.
SugarShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Head Chef
Sugar, what kind of restaurant? I'm guessing that you mean one where you teach people to cook. At any rate, reataurants are not really for me. Too many long hours and too much chance of failure. I think I might be more inclined to teach cooking in adult ed classes for instance. But the restaurant idea is an interesting one. There is a similar kind of thing going on here. Some women have a place where you go in and using their recipes you basically assemble family sized dishes and put them in freezer containers to be cooked later at home. I thought that was a good idea, but it might take forever figuring out how to price stuff!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Hi joesfolk,

I was refering to where you said you could have a restaurant but wouldn't want to have a set menu but to make whatever you felt like on that day. It can actually work, you'd just need to have a niche market in mind. eg: you make honest, home cooked style meals. As long as you stay in the same vein, you'll build up a reputation for that style of cooking and if people know that no matter what you serve up, it will be something they will like, you'll get people willing to be adventurous.
SugarShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
My brother in law loved to cook and he was good at it. He once had a little country bar and each day he cooked something for lunch. The locals knew if they went there the food was good, the prices fair and the amounts were filling.

The daily menu was whatever he felt like cooking that day and no one knew nor cared WHAT it would be---just that they would have stupendous food.
He had a big lunch crowd daily.

Jomilt is offline   Reply With Quote