"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
Master Chef

Katie ;)

do you like music?
Are you playing an instrument?

Is there a place you would like to see?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Cook

What makes you happy?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?
My all-time favorite teacher was my first grade teacher Mrs. Wenna Mae Lee. She was kind, gentle and all her students loved her. She taught me how to read and I've never looked back.

She was one of the most patient people I've ever encountered and sitting on her lap listening to a story after lunch was nothing short of heaven for a first grader.

She cut silhouettes of every student in each year's class and I still have mine, which I had framed many years ago. They are among my most cherished treasures. I think her greatest gift to me, though, was that she showed me school could be fun and interesting and that made me want to learn, learn, learn.

Plenty of money and a year to spend it any way I wished? Hmmm. I'd have to think about that a bit, but my first thought would be to use the money traveling to see my children and grandchildren and other dear family members, especially those I haven't seen in a long while.

The bigger dilemma here, for me, is WHAT does "if money were no object" mean to me. I don't require much money and have lived under the "money flowing like water" situation and still it really didn't mean that much to me. As long as the bills are paid and there's enough left over for some reasonable future security and a little for "play," then I'm happy.

When I'm gone I'd like folks to member me with pleasant feelings in their hearts. That I was fair and kind, that I loved my husband and family with all my heart and, most of all, that I was honest. I value honesty greatly and made sure my children understood what it meant to be honest. From what I see in them, I think they learned the lesson well.

A meal for ten? Make it or teach the diners to prepare it themselves? This question is like a pancake, it has two sides. I am, by nature, a teacher. Buck always said that and I've spent a large part of my life in that capacity, though not ever in the classroom. So, I would have to say I would enjoy teaching the ten people how to prepare their fine meal.

On the other hand, I delight in and get lost in preparing a wonderful special meal. I'm in my own little world, chopping, dicing, stirring, creating...

My children often said, "Mom, it's just like the picture in the cookbook." I appreciated hearing them say that and it challenged me and gave me great satisfaction when I could produce a wonderful eating experience for my family and friends. I think that's one of the reasons I so enjoyed the movie, Julie and Julia. It would be fun to begin at recipe one in Julia's Mastering volumes and cook my way to the end.

In other words, Barbara, I would have to do both. Cook the meal and teach the diners how to prepare it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Katie ;)

do you like music?
Are you playing an instrument?

Is there a place you would like to see?

Music? Ah, yes. I love music. Before I went to college, I dabbled at listening to classical music but never really got a handle on it. Then I had the most awesome music appreciation professor in college and I couldn't get enough classical music.

However, I must say my music tastes are quite varied, with the exception of rap, hip-hop and head bangin' stuff. Beyond those, the sky's the limit.

I have probably close to 1,000 LPs and have been known to spend hours picking through them playing everything from Glenn Miller, to Gustav Mahler to Moody Blues.

Like books, I particularly enjoy music that "paints pictures" in my head. Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite is one such piece of music. I love listening to it with my eyes closed, imagining each "scene" the music congers up.

I also love opera, though none of my husbands care(d) for it. Buck considered opera "noise" as does Glenn. Oh, well. I listen with headphones when I'm not alone. One of my favorites is Wagner's Tristan and Isolde.

No, I don't play an instrument. However, when I was in elementary school I played the drums. Kinda unusual for that time for a girl to play drums, but it's what interested me at the time.

From time to time I've thought I would like to play the piano, but I've never had a piano, so that sort of killed the pursuit of that interest.

A place I would like to see?
Yes. Half of my heritage comes from Ireland and I would really like to travel there just to see the lovely countryside. My younger sister "treated" herself on her 50th birthday to a 3-week trip to Ireland. She's a semi-pro photographer, so she brought back tons and tons of beautiful pictures, which only served to make me want to visit even more. Don't know if I'll ever get there, but it's nice to have the dream.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingMamaof2 View Post
What makes you happy?
What makes me happy? Soooooo many things.

The smell of sheets on the bed that were dried outside on the clothesline.

The morning sunlight as it brushes across the pot of purple flowers on our back porch. I see this every morning out of our bathroom window when I get up. How can I NOT start the day in a good mood after seeing something so lovely?

Sitting in the swing with my husband on a lazy summer afternoon.

Having my family gathered around the dinner table, wiling away time laughing and talking and "telling tales" on one another.

Spending hours, literally, watching the hummingbirds at our feeders. They are so pretty and seem to have such a good time. It makes me happy that the fact that I've filled their feeders with sugar water can make their lives so good.

Rolling over in bed in the middle of the night and feeling my loving husband next to me, sometimes with his arm around me.

Riding Old Blue, our Harley, down a long and winding country road and feeling part of the world. One sees the world completely differently on a motorcycle. In a car, we're isolated/protected and don't really get the on-the-road experience like you do on a bike.

I could go on and on and on, but so many things make me happy I would probably bore you with the list. Those I cited are the first ones that came to mind.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
HI Katie :)

Who is your cooking idol and why?

What is your favourite type of social event?

What would you most likely cook for your favourite person?
My cooking idol? Without out a doubt, it would have to be Julia Child. I admire her so much because of who she was as a person and because she had such determination. She discovered what she wanted and never let anything deter her from achieving her goal, be it cooking or winning her husband, Paul.

Favorite social event? Hmmm, define "social event." As I've gotten older, social events are a bit different than when I was a young pooch. Then, there were lots of parties, dinner events and, because I lived in Washington, DC, many of those events had to do with the Washington scene.

I've long ago done away with my long gowns and long gloves and other "dress ups." Thank heavens. It was fine for the time, but I prefer living a more relaxed and easy life now, so a favorite social event might be something as simple as hosting (or attending) a big barbecue or picnic.

That's good for the warmer months but, during the colder months, I do enjoy having a few couples over for a good dinner and their company.

If going to concerts or the theatre are considered social events, then add those to my list. We have a local theatre group here that is fantastic and Glenn and I attend their productions several times a year. We also have a fine performing arts center where we can enjoy performances of all types. Everything from plays, music, comedy performers, etc. We take advantage of that, too.

What to cook for my favorite person? I would first have to establish who my favorite person is and that, of course, would be my husband. Fortunately, he appreciates good food, which makes this task much easier. Although, since he IS my favorite person, I would choose to prepare his favorite things. And, funny you should pose this question just now because we're going to celebrate his June 30th birthday today. Well, his birthday dinner, that is.

We'll be having thick ribeye steaks on the grill, to his doneness, of course. Sauteed onions and mushrooms, baked potatoes, green salad (with greens and veggies from our garden), a nice red wine and, as a finish, his request of blackberry pie a la mode. The blackberries came from our vines, too.

He'll feast like a king and will enjoy it all because each menu item is one of his favorites. So....favorites for my favorite.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Master Chef

Hi Katie!

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?

Are you generally an optimist or a pessimist?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Senior Cook

If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Katie!

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?

Are you generally an optimist or a pessimist?
Most dangerous? That is easy and came to mind immediately. My ex-husband turned out to be not who he claimed to be and, as a result, my final days as his wife were nothing short of scary.

One day, while we were negotiating divorce details, he lured me to a fairly empty public park, under the guise of "talking things over" in a neutral place.

I wouldn't agree to his bizarre offerings/demands and, as I was leaving, he pointed a gun at me and said he was going to shoot me. He was crazy enough to have done something like that, but I called his bluff, turned my back on him and walked away to my car. I waited for the shot, but he didn't pull the trigger.

Change one thing in my life? Again, the answer was right there in the front of my mind.

I left home at 18, married just after I turned 19 and moved 800 miles from my parental home.

I loved my daddy more than I can express and, suddenly, when I was barely 24, he died. I never really got a chance to know him, I mean really know him. He was gone before we had any opportunity to be father and daughter. I know he was a good man because people in the community still talk about him. He was a country doctor and everyone knew, and loved, "Doc."

I would like to have more time with my father.

Optimist or pessimist? Definitely an optimist. Always have been, even during the crappiest times of my life.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?
Live in another person's shoes? Hmmm. Now that's a toughie. After answering one of Kayelle's questions, I think I would choose my father's shoes. If I did, I could learn more about the kind of man he was. I already know he was kind and compassionate and was good at healing physical wounds and wounds of the heart. I did have the opportunity to observe how he practiced medicine and how he cared for his patients. I fully understand why, after nearly 38 years, he's still remembered by the community. He treated every living thing from senior citizens to German shepherds. If there was an ouch or booboo, folks came to Doc for help, even with their pets.

I can see in his eyes in the few photos I have of him that he was a very sympathetic, caring and loving man.