"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Getting to Know - Katie H

1. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

2. Where are you and Glenn going for your next trip on the motorcycle?

3. Who is your hero and why?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If you had a chance, would you own an orchard and what kind of fruit would you plant?
Do you have any pets?
What personality trait do you most value in yourself?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
1. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

2. Where are you and Glenn going for your next trip on the motorcycle?

3. Who is your hero and why?

Hmmm. Funny you should ask this first question because many, many years ago my late husband, Buck, and I did hope to open a restaurant.

This isn't something my current husband, Glenn, would endorse. Only because of our age and our state of "retirement," which Glenn says (retirement) is important. Neither would I because retirement is too awesome without being tied down to something like a "job" like a restaurant.

At any rate, Buck and I had contracted for an old historic home (circa 1790), complete with dirt floors in the slave areas, and more other unique historic bits.

We were going to call it "The Grail at Greenwood" because it was originally called Greenwood and it was going to be our holy "grail." Lots of things happened to prevent us from pursuing our goal, but we had the dream.

When we moved to Kentucky to our historic home, we considered turning it into a bed-and-breakfast venue, but our age and energy level was more the reason so, for me the dream, at least, has been pursued. No regrets. At least we had the dream and, in a small way, gave it a shot.

Next question? Where are Glenn and I going on our Harley for our next trip?

Again...hmmm. Not sure. We've considered lots of places and are thinking about traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway. Before that, we really need to take the scenic route to Lexington to see Glenn's daugher, her husband and 1-year-old daughter. So many places....so little time.

Wanna see "Old Blue," as we call the Harley, check this out
]

Who is my hero?

Without a doubt...my father.

I really didn't get a chance to know him very well. I married and left home when I was 19 and he died when I was 24, but he set the most awesome example and taught me so many things that were important.

He was a physician and I had the opportunity to be on hand to observe him in the operating room for many a minor surgery. One in particular stands out in my mind and gave me a guide on how to live better with my fellow man.

He was performing a gallbladder surgery on a very,very obese lady. This was in the early '60s and the lady was black. The circulating nurse was rather opinionated and, I think racist, and made some rather rude remark about the patient's size and race, mostly her race. My daddy had no tolerance for this sort of thing and pointed out to the nurse as he opened the patient's abdomen that, "You'll notice, Miss.... that we're all the same color on the inside.

I can't tell you the impression this made on me. I knew my daddy was a loving, tolerant, equitable man, but this drove it home in only a few words.

He taught me so much about nature (trees, flowers, etc.), how to "excuse/tolerate" those who are jerks who think they are bigger than they really are and, best of all, he taught (showed, really) what true compassion is.

He set an example that I don't think I'll ever come close to, but I am so happy to have had him to set it for me to achieve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Blue - new paint job, exhaust, etc..jpg
Views:	140
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	11345  
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Beautiful bike! Have fun!!! Thanks, Katie, if you notice, I ask the same first question of everyone must be lazy
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
If you had a chance, would you own an orchard and what kind of fruit would you plant?
Do you have any pets?
What personality trait do you most value in yourself?

Own an orchard? Only one? I'm not sure I could choose only ONE fruit because I like so many.

Currently, here at home, we have apple, plum and pear trees and I love them all.

Beyond that, my first gut reaction to your question was "peaches," which I truly love and would love to have here.

So, in answer to your question, I think I would have to plant a peach orchard.

Hands down, the personality trait I value the most is "honesty."

I've always prized that over everything else because I would rather someone tell me the truth than to sugar-coat an answer, etc.

My children hated it when they were youngsters because I did not tolerate any lies, no matter how trivial. They understood that the punishment was less if they told the truth than if they fabricated the story.

Just tell me the truth. I'd rather have that than a bunch of crap.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You missed PAG's: Do you have any pets?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You missed PAG's: Do you have any pets?

You're right. Sorry I missed that one.

Pets. You bet. Wouldn't be without them. The only time I didn't have pets was when I was in college and could have them.

Let's see. At the moment all we have is kitties. We had a lovely doggie, collie/German shepherd mix, but she (Sadie Sue) died in March. She was a doll and Glenn and I miss her dearly.

Then....there's all the kitties, which I brought to our marriage. Glenn's not much of a kitty person, but he's wonderfully tolerant of my "children" and loves and plays with them.

They include Ashley (my avatar), Miss Rodeo, Miss Augie, Tumble, and Sally. They all have unique personalities and Ashley and Miss Rodeo are getting on in age.

Kitties have always been part of my life and I couldn't have survived Buck's death without the love and comfort my fur babies gave me during that ultra-stressful time.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I knew you would want to mention them...Kitties are fantastic!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
Master Chef

HI Katie :)

Who is your cooking idol and why?

What is your favourite type of social event?

What would you most likely cook for your favourite person?