"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
Everymom

Kayelle, what makes you madder than a wet hen? What gives you the most satisfaction?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
What a great idea! I have little nieces and nephews that eat fast food EVERY DAY. And it shows. It honestly breaks my heart. The kids don't have any other choice and their mother just doesn't care. I'm sure there would be plenty of young mothers out there (me included!) that would take you up on your offer but most of the young mothers that actually need this training wouldn't care to sign up for such a program, sad reality. Not sure if you're familiar with the WIC (Women, Infants & Children) program but these are probably the mothers one would want to target. These are mothers that receive free food (and limited prenatal & postpartum health care) from the state. The food they (myself included) receive is usually stuff like rice, beans, eggs, corn tortillas, milk, wheat bread, juice, peanut butter, tuna, cheese and fresh or frozen fruits and veggies. Many mothers don't know what to do with this stuff and it's a shame because it's all FREE to them. Many mothers don't even bother redeeming some of the vouchers because they don't know what to do with a pound of dried beans or rice. Oh, and my sister in law, mentioned above, also receives WIC vouchers and her kids still eat fast food every day. Sad.
Bless your sweet heart, Snickerdoodle!! You've gotten my brain really going on this project. Yes, I know about WIC, in fact it's been around a loooooong time as I was a recipient when my kids were little, many moons ago. Those items were SO appreciated by me, and I sure figured out what to do with them. When the holidays are over I'm determined to figure out a way to make this class happen. As you now know, learning how to do a simple roast chicken can work wonders for a family food budget, not to mention boost the confidence these young women need.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
Flour Child

^You have a good heart .
My 2-part question would be, what is your favorite location of all the places your hubby has introduced you to and why? Which location is the best place to live?

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Kayelle, what makes you madder than a wet hen? What gives you the most satisfaction?
Child Abuse!! That makes me madder than anything!! I see no good reason for those people to take up room on this planet.
In recent years I've mellowed over most things other than that. As a young woman I had a pretty quick temper, but frankly being "post menopause" has some perks.

Most satisfaction is when I feel I've made a difference to someone.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bless your sweet heart, Snickerdoodle!! You've gotten my brain really going on this project. Yes, I know about WIC, in fact it's been around a loooooong time as I was a recipient when my kids were little, many moons ago. Those items were SO appreciated by me, and I sure figured out what to do with them. When the holidays are over I'm determined to figure out a way to make this class happen. As you now know, learning how to do a simple roast chicken can work wonders for a family food budget, not to mention boost the confidence these young women need.
Keep me posted on your ideas regarding the class! Let's start a non-profit and do this! And yes, learning to roast a chicken was a big milestone in my culinary adventure thus far! Definitely a major confidence booster and it's saving us money. I have also thought about putting together a recipe book that mostly uses the foods provided by WIC and then see if the WIC office would distribute them. I should really get on that! Inspiration is so contagious!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another thing about the fast food is the added cost.

I applaud your teaching idea. Go for it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
^You have a good heart .
My 2-part question would be, what is your favorite location of all the places your hubby has introduced you to and why? Which location is the best place to live?
Girl friend, it's easier to answer the second part of your question first. I've never seen a place I'd rather live than right here. I've lived in Ventura County, California all my life and I love it. Every time we come back home to the USA, I'm so grateful to see our beautiful flag in customs. If I was not able to live in the USA, it would be a town at the southern tip of New Zeland called Dunedin. I fell in love with the place, almost like I had lived there before.

The first part of your question is harder. We've traveled 225 days since we met 4 years ago, and have seen 31 countries so that's a lot of memorable places. Some of my favorite cities have been Venice, London, Rome, Vienna, Oslo, St. Petersberg, Stockholm, Istanbul, Rio, Buenos Aires, Auckland, Sidney, but my favorite city of all is San Francisco, Ca. USA. I've seen some stunning natural wonders, like some of the islands of the South Pacific, the blinding green of Ireland, the magic of the Lake District in the north of England, but the most stunning natural wonder of all was Iguazu Falls in South America.
Iguazu Falls (Argentina & Brazil, South America) [also called Iguassu Falls]

We will be leaving next Sat. for another 15 day trip, and believe me I know how blessed I am.
My husband writes about all of our trips complete with pictures, and anyone who would like the addy of our website, just PM me. I'd be happy to share it with anyone interested.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #28
Flour Child

I love your answer...a very intriguing read indeed. But why San Francisco of all those places around the world? Can you describe what it is about SF that would place it in the #1 spot for you? I have been there and enjoyed it too. I remember walking through the park when a cacophony of noisy green parrots flew in and took over the treetops for awhile...I was so surprised by it. We had just left the revolving round skytop restaurant which I think is no longer working...but it was equally amazing...no, it was moreso. You could see much of the city, bay, and bridges as it constantly rotated while we dined during the sunset. Sausalito had a fun art festival going on and dining at the end of the pier was a treat after spending the day in the Napa Wine Country and seeing the Redwoods a bit further north. I also enjoyed having tea with my daughter in the Japanese garden there...very special. Haight Asbury's architecture and "funky culture" captivated me for an afternoon visit there. After sharing breakfast with tons of seals on the fishermans wharf pier, we headed down Big Sur on the way back to SD. Yes, I can see why you liked it there

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

i love san francisco a lot. all the reasons kayelle said. also love the food served in many fine restaurants. the opportunity to see live theater. even at lunch time. don't remember the name but they did one or two act plays at lunch time. people eating their sack lunches and watching the players. lovely!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I love your answer...a very intriguing read indeed. But why San Francisco of all those places around the world? Can you describe what it is about SF that would place it in the #1 spot for you? I have been there and enjoyed it too. I remember walking through the park when a cacophony of noisy green parrots flew in and took over the treetops for awhile...I was so surprised by it. We had just left the revolving round skytop restaurant which I think is no longer working...but it was equally amazing...no, it was moreso. You could see much of the city, bay, and bridges as it constantly rotated while we dined during the sunset. Sausalito had a fun art festival going on and dining at the end of the pier was a treat after spending the day in the Napa Wine Country and seeing the Redwoods a bit further north. I also enjoyed having tea with my daughter in the Japanese garden there...very special. Haight Asbury's architecture and "funky culture" captivated me for an afternoon visit there. After sharing breakfast with tons of seals on the fishermans wharf pier, we headed down Big Sur on the way back to SD. Yes, I can see why you liked it there
Wow, you did a nice job of describing my favorite city MA!
My critique of a city is generally about the "feel" and history of it.
San Francisco feels like a jewel, and I often call it the jewel of California, the state I love so much. It's about the sparkle and "freshness" of what would be an infant city in Europe.
All of the city's I mentioned have a unique feel that's somewhat hard to put your finger on. The romance of Venice for example, is beyond compare......almost like a dream. I'll never forget a gondola ride under a full moon through the narrow back canals and the sound of the singing from the gondolier. I had to pinch myself that I wasn't in Disneyland, it was the real thing. For me, that memory will always be Venice. I could go on and on about some of the other cities.