"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #41
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My kitchen is always open, but I'm not kidding about renting a banquet room. My kitchen is only big enough for one, literally, I don't even let Shrek in there when I am busy. I must get a picture of it so folks understand.
When I was 9-10 years old, our house in Independence, Missouri was so tiny--your kitchen sounds like ours! The house had a small living room, small bathroom, small dining room, and a tiny kitchen downstairs. Upstairs was the attic, which served as my sister's and my bedroom. My poor mom and dad didn't even have a bedroom. They slept in the hide-a-bed in the living room. Anyway, my mom could easily reach the kitchen sink from the dining room. The kitchen looked more like a small hallway! Like you said, room for one person!

Barbara

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

My brother had an apartment on Beacon Hill in Boston once. The kitchen was so small that in order to open the oven door (it was a mini oven) you had to first open the fridge door otherwise the handles would hit and you could not open the oven.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My brother had an apartment on Beacon Hill in Boston once. The kitchen was so small that in order to open the oven door (it was a mini oven) you had to first open the fridge door otherwise the handles would hit and you could not open the oven.
Okay, mine is not quite that small...but close.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
When I was 9-10 years old, our house in Independence, Missouri was so tiny--your kitchen sounds like ours! The house had a small living room, small bathroom, small dining room, and a tiny kitchen downstairs. Upstairs was the attic, which served as my sister's and my bedroom. My poor mom and dad didn't even have a bedroom. They slept in the hide-a-bed in the living room. Anyway, my mom could easily reach the kitchen sink from the dining room. The kitchen looked more like a small hallway! Like you said, room for one person!

Barbara
Our kitchen is about 7 feet of "hallway" space. I think the worst part is not having counter space. There are times that I set up the card table just to set things on if I'm cooking a big meal. There's room for one of our little girls to help me in the kitchen but other than that, it's a 1 person kitchen. I had to chuckle about Barbara's mom and dad sleeping on a sleeper sofa in the living room. I've actually suggested this to dh before! We have 2 bedrooms and there's 5 of us, it gets old sharing our bedroom with our 18 month old.

Now, LPBeier, do you have a favorite animal? Any reason why it's your favorite animal?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #45
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, sorry folks, I got a little behind here. Was making a cake last week and then when I came here I thought the thread had turned into a "smallest kitchen" contest....of which I would probably have a good chance of winning, specially when I do a lot of prep there!

Anyway, I will try to get all your questions answered.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #46
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
If you could commission any artist dead or alive to "paint" your portrait, whom would it be and why?
Now this is an extremely difficult question for me but I think DaVinci. Two reasons for this choice are

1) He was such a diverse talent, not only painting but inventing and so much more. I like to think that my creativity, while no where near his magnitude, has a broad range. Now please don't take this as an ego thing. I am in total awe of this man's work.

2) I think I would look really good with a Mona Lisa smile.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Laurie, I know lots about you, but I don't think I ever knew why you picked cakes. I know you catered for awhile, but I don't remember hearing why you chose cakes etc.

Also, what is your most satisfying moment?
I think the best answer to this is like what people say about animals "it picked me first"! I remember as a young girl helping my Mom in the kitchen and wanting to do my own stuff. My first Christmas dessert at 8 - It was just jello and fruit, but I made it look very pretty. I was 14 when my first nephew was born (the second 2 years later). As they grew up I made all their birthday cakes - a record player, a soccer field, a cookie pizza (that I made to look like a real pizza!), packman, and on. At work I used to make a birthday cake for every employee in our department. I loved experimenting with desserts.

So, it was a big surprise to everyone that when I finally got to culinary school I picked culinary instead of pastry to start (with the idea of doing both). I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the middle of the term and struggled through the intense days. I passed, but had no energy (and funds were low) to go on to the next course. I apprenticed at a catering firm where I cooked and was the sandwich maker. The person in charge of desserts was quitting and I was to take that didn't end up happening.

I went on to have my own catering business and did weddings, luncheons etc. A few years ago I was catering the wedding of a young man I had known for 10 years at that time. His bride asked if I would do the wedding cake. I asked why, since I had never done one before, and she said because her groom always talked on and on about my amazing desserts and birthday cakes. I finally agreed and took a couple of quick classes in fondant and sugar flowers. This was the result, and the rest, as they say, is history!
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrandonCake1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	9092
Oh, you asked what about my most satisfying moment. That's easy. I never look for praise, and if I was independently wealthy I would give my cakes and other food away to all who wanted it. My satisfaction comes from just pleasing people with the food I create. If they are happy, I am ecstatic. I guess that is why I made and decorated 102 mini-cupcakes for a certain someone here's birthday and took a picture to post for them, even though they would never see (or eat the actual cake) but got a chuckle out of it. Then I gave them away to our youth group who not only loved them, but sang Happy Birthday to Frank! That is pure joy.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #48
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
LP, I don't know how you slipped by me without asking you questions!

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?

When is the last time you went to the movies, and what did you see?
That's okay, Kayelle, and I love your questions.

1) I don't remember it myself, but apparently when I was three and we were on holidays, my Mom and Grandmother took my 12 year old sister to the hotel pool. My sister was way off swimming in the middle of the pool with earplugs and my Mom was trying to take me to paddling pool when all of a sudden I took a running jump into the deep end of the pool far enough out that Mom couldn't reach me and my sister couldn't hear. A young man jumped in fully clothed and brought me out none the worse for wear. I have never been afraid of water since, instead it is one of the things that brings a real peace to me.

While I guess it wasn't funny at the time, my family has always said about me that I never do things the easy way, I always jump into the deep end (like my first wedding cake described above).

2) Most people would probably say all of my bad health throughout my life. But you know, I wouldn't change that, or anything about me because it has made me stronger and in many occasions has helped me help others. If I had to pick anything to change, it would be that I could have spent more time with my mother in her last two years and that I could have gotten to say goodbye to her. I have felt during the 15 years since her passing that we had unfinished business and I would have liked her to see how I turned out after my years of struggling.

3) We end up watching a lot of movies at home due to DH's schedule, finances and my Dad's and my health. So when we DO go to a movie at a theater it is very special. The last movie we saw in a theater was a week after my Dad came home from the hospital the first time and we were given a 4 hour respite by the home care company. Unfortunately that was about 3 months ago and I don't remember what we saw!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Now, LPBeier, do you have a favorite animal? Any reason why it's your favorite animal?
I am presuming you mean an animal besides my furbabies! If that is the case then I have to say the elephant. They are so huge and drab gray and yet they can be one of the most gentle, graceful and elegant animals around. I remember as a young girl visiting the game farm and getting a ride on the elephant there. It was amazing! I have a few elephant figurines around my house (though am not a fanatic about this). Oh, and it is no coincidence that my favourite Seuss character is Horton.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #50
Certified Cake Maniac

I decided to put this here because it is, after all about me!

Some of you may have noticed I have been away for awhile and When I popped my head in yesterday I was touched to know a few of you were concerned.

I have been looking after my elderly Dad for almost 2 years and this past summer he was in hospital 4 out of 5 months. He now needs more help that before. We get some help in the mornings to gett him up, but I do the rest of the day. This and the fact my DH was working at one job and training for a second one, I had most of the homefront and my own health to deal with.

So, I agreed to take an indefinite time out from outside activities, including DC. While hard to leave you all, it was a wonderful experience. I realized I want a break from cakes and catering so turned down two very elaborate wedding cakes and 3 Christmas parties. I did do baking for some regular customers, as well as myself.

But I rediscovered my passion for the culinary side of things and am loving the experiments (most of the time Dad and DH are too LOL!!). I am crocheting two baby blankets at once for two of my former youth group members and brides. I have also started other projects I have wanted to.

So, when on Christmas Day I received a netbook and mobile internet from Dad, DH and my sister I knew they were telling me to do what I want. It has taken awhile, and I don't know how much I will be here, but it is so great to be a part of my other family here at DC.

For all the challenges we have endured over the last year, there are so many more wonderful lessons learned and I look forward to what 2011 has to offer. I hope you all had a great holiday season. I know I did because 6 months ago we had little hope we would be spending it as a family and we did.