"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #61
Master Chef

DC is full of class acts. I am blessed to have been introduced to this site, and to have gotten to know you.

I try to create questions that are difficult. You and Alix show who you really are, and what you're made of (starch, & eggs, & water, with a bit of EVOO, and twisted, just a little. ) I like egg noodles in all kinds of good things. Nice choice.

Thank you for being you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #62
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
well here you are, lp! i see pag found you when i couldn't. your first gtk, which began in 2010, is an interesting read. i don't have a question for you at the moment, but i'll try to come up with one in a little while. oh, it did really strike me what a singularly selfless being you are, seemingly moved to help others before thinking of yourself and your own needs. i'm wondering where that sort of gentle compassion is born. do you love yourself, lp? with a profound sense of who you are? when have you ever put yourself first? how does it play out?
Wow, a lot to think about vit!

I have had a life full of challenges - mostly health related but also some relationship issues. Through all my health stuff in the past few years I have felt very selfish and self-centered. But in the last month I have found out that almost all my emotional, physical and other issues have been due to a string of food allergies. Since I have given up those items and "cleansed" my system, I am feeling better every day.

I have a strong faith and I think that is where my compassion comes from. I have come through a lot of challenges and so I have a sense of what it might be like for others and treat them accordingly.

I get a lot that I put other's needs before my own and maybe I come across that way, but I do look after myself. I make mistakes and learn from them. Do I love myself? I couldn't have answered that throughout my life, but I do love the way my life is going - my husband, furbabies, family, friends.

I gave up catering awhile back because it was too hard on me and I concentrated on cakes and pastries. I recently found out I have an allergy to yeast which means no sugar products among other things. This was seconded by a diagnosis of prediabetes and thirded by a gluten/wheat allergy. I realize I can't risk the temptation so have put all my decorating and baking supplies away for the foreseeable future. But I am feeling so good and if that keeps up maybe I will cater again who knows! And I am having a blast crocheting gifts and may turn it into a mini business. I am learning who Laurie is and am liking what I see.

On that topic I just recently put myself first in a big way. I do baking for gifts, for my mother-in-law and have a few clients. This year I informed everyone that I will not be doing any baking and would prefer no gifts of chocolates, baking or restaurant gift cards. I want to commit totally to this because I am feeling so great. My chronic pain levels have been cut in half and I have so much energy I am amazing myself. I want to be that person for me so I will be better for others.

Hope that answers your questions.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Anytime you want to come down Laurie I would love to meet up with you!!!
Quincy is only 20 minutes from where I live. A city filled with a history of its own.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

People often ask me if I get lonley living alone. So my question to you is;

Do you enjoy your own company? Do you have to have someone around you all the time?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #65
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Quincy is only 20 minutes from where I live. A city filled with a history of its own.
Addie, when I am able to book my trip you will be one of the first to know! I would love to come visit you! Somebody else here just might come along too, but I can't say who yet!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #66
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
People often ask me if I get lonley living alone. So my question to you is;

Do you enjoy your own company? Do you have to have someone around you all the time?
I lived on my own from my late teens until I married the first time in my 30's. I found it very hard to share my space with someone. Then after we separated I was alone again for about 3 years. I have to say I almost missed having someone around.

For the first 6 years of our marriage, TB and I worked together in our internet/website company out of our home. We were together almost 24/7 and we got along fine - our computer desks were across the office and we were basically back to back. We did different things and so were "together" but in our own space so to speak.

My Dad lived with us for three years and I was with him 24/7. At this time TB got his driving job and was on mornings so went to bed early and Dad settled in around 9. This became MY time! I would read, work on the computer (spending time here of course!) get some things done I couldn't otherwise.

Now TB works three to 11 and I find myself alone quite a bit but I enjoy the amount of time together and alone. I don't think I could go back to the 24/7 again, but I also don't think I would want to be completely alone!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, when I am able to book my trip you will be one of the first to know! I would love to come visit you! Somebody else here just might come along too, but I can't say who yet!
I will welcome you with open arms. Although I tell everyone I have no chairs for them to sit on, I will let you in on a little secret. That's a lie. I do have chairs. I just don't care for the company of anyone in this building that much. They only thing they have to add to the richness of my life is gossip. And I hate gossip.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Wow, a lot to think about vit!

I have had a life full of challenges - mostly health related but also some relationship issues. Through all my health stuff in the past few years I have felt very selfish and self-centered. But in the last month I have found out that almost all my emotional, physical and other issues have been due to a string of food allergies. Since I have given up those items and "cleansed" my system, I am feeling better every day.

I have a strong faith and I think that is where my compassion comes from. I have come through a lot of challenges and so I have a sense of what it might be like for others and treat them accordingly.

I get a lot that I put other's needs before my own and maybe I come across that way, but I do look after myself. I make mistakes and learn from them. Do I love myself? I couldn't have answered that throughout my life, but I do love the way my life is going - my husband, furbabies, family, friends.

I gave up catering awhile back because it was too hard on me and I concentrated on cakes and pastries. I recently found out I have an allergy to yeast which means no sugar products among other things. This was seconded by a diagnosis of prediabetes and thirded by a gluten/wheat allergy. I realize I can't risk the temptation so have put all my decorating and baking supplies away for the foreseeable future. But I am feeling so good and if that keeps up maybe I will cater again who knows! And I am having a blast crocheting gifts and may turn it into a mini business. I am learning who Laurie is and am liking what I see.

On that topic I just recently put myself first in a big way. I do baking for gifts, for my mother-in-law and have a few clients. This year I informed everyone that I will not be doing any baking and would prefer no gifts of chocolates, baking or restaurant gift cards. I want to commit totally to this because I am feeling so great. My chronic pain levels have been cut in half and I have so much energy I am amazing myself. I want to be that person for me so I will be better for others.

Hope that answers your questions.

i love, absolutely love, love, love your responses to my questions, lp! in particular, the latter half of your post, where we can see an encouraging bit of "me" running through there. lp, i don't know you in the way that many of your other friends do, but i am sadly aware of some of the difficult challenges facing you with your dear father, and of course, the multiple health issues that have been plaguing you, most recently like an obsessed evil stalker. i'm so heartened to hear about the huge positive improvement in your overall health status, subsequent to your newly diagnosed food allergies. in my mind i see you right now in a "good place" for the first time in a very long while. and i don't mean to say that it's not still a demanding (of you) and difficult place, but a solidly Good place for you to be, and one that is responding directly to your dieting endeavors, and to the new found control and power that you possess to steer a path in the direction of painlessness and reclaimed good health for your tomorrows.

lastly, let me add my praises to the others, for your having found rewarding projects by engaging in pleasurable and meaningful craft work. and two big Yayys: yes, of course you will return to catering if you wish, and other things too. yayy too, for finally bringing out that big scary "N" word to give notice to your friends and former clients of the new "no baking" zone you are enforcing for christmas orders this season.-- because you are deserving, and have so declared.....