"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #101
Executive Chef

OK PF, here is that block of questions, as requested.

Is the cold chill down your spine more likely to be a ghost or a drizzle of ice water poured down your back? If the former, who is the ghost? If the latter, who's pouring the ice water?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #102
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's not only a ghost but he's my ghost. His name is Jack and I first met him when he was alive. Many years ago, when I was just starting working in healthcare, I was working the Alzheimer's unit and Jack was in the end-stages of Alz. He had forgotten how to walk, talk and eat and he was busy dying. My co-worker and I took care of him nightly for three weeks. We were off the night he died. Both of us had a dream about a picnic and Jack was there, greeting us by name and introducing us to all his family. Remember, neither of us had ever seen him walk and talk.

We both experienced the dream and we both woke up crying at 4 AM, knowing he was gone. We both showed up for our next shift and discovered we'd had the same dream and our Charge nurse told us he died at 4 AM. This was very odd and a little spooky for us.

A couple of weeks later, I was standing at the front desk and a man walked in the front door and stood next to me. He excused himself and asked me if I was "Fiona." I turned to him and it was Jack Jr....I had met him in a dream and he had met me in the same dream he had the night his father died.

The ghosts I know are all friendly, I have a few more that I have encountered and they don't scare me at all. This is just one ghost story, I have a few others.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd love to hear more ghost stories, please, Princess?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #104
Executive Chef

Cool! I have a few ghost stories of my own Fi.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd love to hear more ghost stories, please, Princess?
As you know I work with the elderly, some have dementia and some just have mild confusion. My mildly confused ladies have reported this ghost. Different times, different rooms, different years and different nurses assistants.

My lady's report seeing a small boy digging in their nightstands, they have all described the same boy. They actually use their call light to ask me why someone doesn't take him home, since it is past his bedtime. I have never seen him.

I think it is the same ghost that turns on the call light or room lights in two rooms if the rooms have been vacant for a while. I just tell him to go to sleep and everything is fine and no more problems with the call light or room lights during the night.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #106
Executive Chef

Fi yesterday on the 24 hr BBC news channel they did a report on a study about stopping dementia patients usual medication and substituting pain killers, the result are very interesting.
The logic behind this study is the inability of a person with dementia to communicate with the carer that they have lets say toothache or a headache.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

how did your interview in that go, bolas? were they nice to you, or did they follow you down the street, cameras and dentists n tow.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #108
Executive Chef

Tom I like sunny side up the best
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #109
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Fi yesterday on the 24 hr BBC news channel they did a report on a study about stopping dementia patients usual medication and substituting pain killers, the result are very interesting.
The logic behind this study is the inability of a person with dementia to communicate with the carer that they have lets say toothache or a headache.
Hi Bolas!
It has always been my position to treat behaviors with pain medicine first to see if that is the cause of the behavior in my dementia patients. Just because they have dementia, does not mean their arthritis and other generalized pain has gone away.

The first question for a new patient without Dementia is, "Are you having any pain?" It should be the first question for Dementia patients, too. And if they can't answer the question appropriately, give them some acetaminophen/paracetamol and see if that helps.

Pain is under-treated in many cases and definitely under-treated in Dementia Cases.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #110
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hi Bolas!
It has always been my position to treat behaviors with pain medicine first to see if that is the cause of the behavior in my dementia patients. Just because they have dementia, does not mean their arthritis and other generalized pain has gone away.

The first question for a new patient without Dementia is, "Are you having any pain?" It should be the first question for Dementia patients, too. And if they can't answer the question appropriately, give them some acetaminophen/paracetamol and see if that helps.

Pain is under-treated in many cases and definitely under-treated in Dementia Cases.
I agree. We had a Dementia patient on the LTC floor that was really mean. One of the aides noticed one day that every time she touched his knee he'd swing at her. She brought it up with the nurse who talked to his doctor about it. They changed his pain medication and started him on an anti-inflammatory and the bad behavior stopped. After that he was one of the easiest patients to care for.