"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I love your answers so far! You are such a cool person!

Ok, here are mine:

1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

Barbara
1. Easy, Mrs. Harnden, second grade. My first grade experience was miserable with an old bat teacher who should have been put out to pasture long before she started hating children. We moved from Illinios to Wyoming and I was supposed to start 2nd grade...I was terrorized and terrified.

Mom and Dad took me to the school three weeks before school started and introduced me to Mr. McKay, the Principal, and explained the problem. Mr. McKay took me down to meet Mrs. Harnden, whose class I would be in. I spent the next three weeks helping her set up the classroom, getting the desks arranged and stocked. I helped with the bulletin boards , etc.

The caveat...it was our secret, that we were friends before being teacher and student. I loved that woman and Mr. McKay, I mourn their passing, we remained friends for the rest of their lifetimes.

2. I would do a walking/biking tour of Scotland and Ireland, with side trips to Wales and all those spots that are rich in the Arthurian Legends. Or move into the used bookstore or library...

3. I want to be remembered as a good daughter, friend and wife. Being a good Grandma would be fine, too! I hope my patients remember me as fun and loving. I want DC to remember the day I had to invent Murphy Slaw!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Interesting read, PF. Peace!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

what's your favorite kind of pie?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
what's your favorite kind of pie?
Pumpkin Pie, lots and lots of pumpkin pie. I make 1 or 2 every month, more now that it's colder!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Quite a list actually:

Law and Order and all it's incarnations.
CSI
The Closer
NCIS and the LA one
Human Target
No Ordinary Family
Bones
Castle
The Mentalist
Caprica
If I could find it I would still be watching Buffy, Angel, Firefly (I have all on DVD) Anything by Joss Whedon.

National Geographic
Discovery
History
Science
Sci-Fi (I refuse to call it Sy-Fy)
Lots of Movies

I no longer watch medical shows...I spend too much time yelling, "No Way!" at the TV or laughing my butt off in disbelief at the antics.

a gal after mine own heart. i love five of the crime shows you named. i am also an avid reader. do you read a lot? are you a fast reader? what kind of books do you like to read? favorite author? wish i could meet you in person. we have a lot in common. i am an aging woman, could have used a good person in rehab last month.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
a gal after mine own heart. i love five of the crime shows you named. i am also an avid reader. do you read a lot? are you a fast reader? what kind of books do you like to read? favorite author? wish i could meet you in person. we have a lot in common. i am an aging woman, could have used a good person in rehab last month.
I constantly have two or three books going at a time, even one in the car. I hate getting somewhere, realizing there will be a wait and I don't have a book.

I read most anything. Depending on the book I am a fast reader, I wish I had more time for reading for pleasure.

I grew up reading all the classics AND Science Fiction. I'm on an Urban Fantasy series now, private investigator who investigates the supernatural. I have a stack of true crime to get to next. I love BOOKS! Wanted to be a librarian at one point. Would love to own a bookstore.

I love teaching kids to read and have been a literacy tutor for adults in the past.

Favorite Author...another long list. Most favorite: Robert A. Heinlein, but he's no longer writing Current favorites: Terry Pratchett, Kathy Reichs, Clive Cussler, Jack Whyte, Tess Gerritsen, Carl Hiaasen...and on.

Thank you very much for the Vote of Confidence in my nursing skills, I am a hard, but loving, taskmaster. My favorite part of the job is sending people back home. I would love a meeting, Babe, I have a feeling we would get on just great!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I constantly have two or three books going at a time, even one in the car. I hate getting somewhere, realizing there will be a wait and I don't have a book.
I keep my Kindle in my car and I also have the Kindle app on my iPhone so I always have my entire electronic book library with me at all times. I can sneak in 5 minutes of reading here and there wherever I am. It is great.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Master Chef

Okay Princess, you me and Babe need to get together! Reading your answers to the questions posed, I began to wonder if you were my long lost twin! Now for my questions.

1. Where did you go to nursing school and how long have you been nursing? ( I know that's 2 questions but closely related)

2. What kind of music do you like?

3. How many brothers and sisters do you have and where do fall in sibling order?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Okay Princess, you me and Babe need to get together! Reading your answers to the questions posed, I began to wonder if you were my long lost twin! Now for my questions.

1. Where did you go to nursing school and how long have you been nursing? ( I know that's 2 questions but closely related)

2. What kind of music do you like?

3. How many brothers and sisters do you have and where do fall in sibling order?
1. Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana is what my diploma says. I only spent one lonely and miserable semester there, because Shrek had to stay in Missoula. I did all of my clinicals and the rest of my pre-nursing in Missoula. In December, it will be 11 years, I was a late decider of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I never waivered from my goal of working with the elderly.

2. Music...all kinds. There isn't much I don't like. I love Classiscal, learned to love jazz when I worked in the record store. But, mostly I listen to Dave Matthews Band, 3 Doors Down, Enya, Eagles, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, David Bowie...too many to list, I'm all over the place. Our music library consists of all genres, albums, tapes and CD's. I've recently been searching for "Hobo" music, the music by the old timers, i.e. "Big Rock Candy Mountain."

3. I am the eldest of 4, 3 girls and 1 boy. We 3 girls are very close in age, 1960-63. My brother was born in 1970, he had 4 mothers, poor kid.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

This is such fun. I like you even better than before, PF.
Here are my questions........

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

What do you expect to be doing in ten years?

Do you think that you are generally an optimist or a pessimist?

Why do you cook?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote