"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
why the username?
No reason and many reasons. Sometimes, my brain mashes some things together and spits them out and I'm amused by them. Then I get stuck on them.

That's what happened when I was choosing a facebook url to go with my account. I'd been at a D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) game when a player did something uncharacteristically moronic. Like, this guy usually had all the right answers and made all the right choices with his character and play. And then he did something that couldn't have been more wrong and didn't realize it until it was too late. We were baffled. He was baffled. Out of nowhere I blurted that it was the fault of the purple alien giraffes from outer space. Everyone agreed that it was the likeliest explanation. I was still stuck on purple alien giraffes when fb pestered me to create a url for my page so I went with that.

When I decided to join DC I figured if it was good enough for my fb page, it should work for this. I didn't think about it being really long until after I was writing my intro post. Plus, I didn't want to be a plant name like my dad and sis. I am the family oddball after all.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Great answers :)
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingMamaof2 View Post
What makes you happy?
So soooo many things. My husband, my sister, my nieces and nephews, my family and friends. The laughter of children, being loved. Sunrises and sunsets, rainbows from the prism in my window. Unexpected beauty. Unexpected kindness. Cooking, painting, drawing, singing (so long as it's not in front of people), music, writing short stories and poetry, reading, learning about science and how things work. Random shiny stuff (a piece of glitter, light on polished metal, etc.). Taking stuff apart. Impressive cloud formations. Sunlight. Moonlight. Stars. Fog swirling about my ankles on a warm summer night as I walk through grass. Dew clinging like silver beads to the pale green leaves of roadside bushes. Sunlight twinkling through emerald tree leaves. Being in the woods. Being in, on or around water (swimming, canoeing, fishing, etc.). Interesting architecture. The murmur of a distant crowd having fun. Laughing. Quiet, calm moments. Rain. Thunder and lightning. Watching a campfire. Snuggles. My cat. Helping people. Listening. More things than I could name and probably a good number that I'd forget if I tried to, or maybe even some thing I haven't discovered yet. Basically anything that lets me love and be loved, brings me closer to my family and friends, shows me the beauty of the world around me, makes me laugh, provides a creative outlet, lets me think or gives me a feeling of peace and calm.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
No reason and many reasons. Sometimes, my brain mashes some things together and spits them out and I'm amused by them. Then I get stuck on them.

That's what happened when I was choosing a facebook url to go with my account. I'd been at a D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) game when a player did something uncharacteristically moronic. Like, this guy usually had all the right answers and made all the right choices with his character and play. And then he did something that couldn't have been more wrong and didn't realize it until it was too late. We were baffled. He was baffled. Out of nowhere I blurted that it was the fault of the purple alien giraffes from outer space. Everyone agreed that it was the likeliest explanation. I was still stuck on purple alien giraffes when fb pestered me to create a url for my page so I went with that.

When I decided to join DC I figured if it was good enough for my fb page, it should work for this. I didn't think about it being really long until after I was writing my intro post. Plus, I didn't want to be a plant name like my dad and sis. I am the family oddball after all.
That's kinda how I got my user name
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 476
If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?
__________________
Happy Cooking!!
Joy

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Sprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Usa, Michigan
Posts: 558
1. What is one food or food combination that you like that others may think is gross?

2. If you could be an expert in a few areas or intermediate in many, which would you choose? If the former, what areas would you choose (if money and career weren't issues, let's pretend you're financially set for life).
__________________
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
1. What do you do for a living and why did you choose to do that?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?
Real person, fictional person? Do I just take over their life but as me or do I actually get to live as that person?

If fictional is an option, Galadrial, because who wouldn't want to spend a day as the most beautiful and magical elven queen ever?

If I just take over their life but as me, ummmm, who's somebody wealthy that does nothing but shop and eat exquisitely prepared meals all day?

If I get to live as that person, my husband. It would be interesting to see things from his perspective.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
1. What is one food or food combination that you like that others may think is gross?
Hmmmm, probably peanut butter and jelly sandwich with potato chips put inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
2. If you could be an expert in a few areas or intermediate in many, which would you choose? If the former, what areas would you choose (if money and career weren't issues, let's pretend you're financially set for life).
Intermediate in many! As many as I could learn and I'd want to try to figure out ways to make cross disciplines that seem unconnected work together.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
1. What do you do for a living and why did you choose to do that?
Currently I'm a network technician. I chose it because I was qualified for it and needed a job. Long term I'd like to finish my Comp Sci degree and move more toward programming. Even longer term I want to get at least a masters, possible a phd in marine biology/ecology and take some classes in prediction models and data analysis. I'd like to work trying to figure out oceanic biological systems and how changes in their environments might affect them. Even longer term, like after I retire, I'd like to find a natural science museum and work as a children's tour guide or activities worker. But for now, I'm happy (usually) being a network tech, and if I never actually make it past that, so long as I'm able to live a good life with the hubby (and maybe get a subscription to a science mag or two), that's good enough.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.