"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #61
Cook

And that is something I wish you had linked to, quite certainly.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyaHero View Post
And that is something I wish you had linked to, quite certainly.
A link to Apocalyptica's Hall of the Mountain King? If that's what you meant, here you go. If not, you're going to have to specify what you want a link to.

And here are two more of my favorites by them. Toreador off their Inquisition Symphony album (and a non-cover) and Nothing Else Matters, a Metallica cover.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #63
Cook

That is spectacular. Thanks a ton.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Getting to Know Purple Alien Giraffe.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #64
Executive Chef

You're welcome a ton. I love sharing good music.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #65
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Wandering a mountain path. I miss camping and hiking so much. Haven't had time to do either in quite a while. Although I'd probably bring a book, a camera and a sketch book with. Book for bad weather, camera to share the experience with others, sketch book because nothing sparks the imagination like being in the middle of nowhere.
Ok, you pack everything, then go out for your walk. After 20 miles starts raining. You take the book but, oh my God, you made a mistake and took the Azerbaijani grammar exercise book of your Azerbaijani bewitched canary. Then you get the camera but the battery pack is dead. And your sketch books fall in a deadly ravine. Giant red ravens look at you from the tops of the trees, with their spiteful black eyes.
What's the first thing you do?

Aside, obviously, ignoring this demented post of mine.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Ok, you pack everything, then go out for your walk. After 20 miles starts raining. You take the book but, oh my God, you made a mistake and took the Azerbaijani grammar exercise book of your Azerbaijani bewitched canary. Then you get the camera but the battery pack is dead. And your sketch books fall in a deadly ravine. Giant red ravens look at you from the tops of the trees, with their spiteful black eyes.
What's the first thing you do?

Aside, obviously, ignoring this demented post of mine.
Demented? With the way my trips tend to go this sounds pretty much like the norm.

Alright, so 20 miles into the hike, considering my current (lack of) physique and my tendency to get distracted taking pictures and looking at stuff, it's probably close to the end of the day anyway. So, I'd likely already be setting up camp with the hubby (I'm assuming this is a more than one day trip and no, I wouldn't go hiking like this without the hubby). No biggy about the rain, just hustle up camp setup. I get inside our shelter with the hubby, pull out the book and just start to laugh. I show Rol my rather humorous mistake and he just shakes his head and smiles. Guess reading to each other is out for the night, we'll just have to talk and snuggle and tell each other bedtime stories.

I suddenly remember my detachable bag that has my sketch book and pencils in it is still outside. It's water resistant but not water proof so I zip out to grab it and bring it in. I forgot to close it while putting stuff away earlier and fumble with the wet zipper. I drop the bag and the sketch book falls out, tumbling down the trail and then off into the ravine. I stare for just a moment wondering at how a sketch book could tumble so far and then remember it's raining. I get back into the tent and describe the bouncing, rolling sketch book event to Rol. I tell him no, don't worry about trying to go after it, it's no biggie. It's just a sketch book and wouldn't have much in it at this point since I only bring either new sketch books or ones that have any current sketches already removed with me. I've had more than a few wrecked while traveling. It's not worth risking injury (or worse) to him or myself over. I'll just have to try to make mental notes or do my sketches in the journal and/or notebook that I brought (because I always bring at least one of the two) that's still in my pack.

Once settled in the shelter I check the camera and I'm not surprised that the batteries are dead. I'm actually more surprised that they lasted this long. I must have done a good job remembering to turn the camera off when I wasn't taking pictures and not overdoing it with the checking after every shot to see how well it turned out. I'll just switch them out with one of the spare sets I brought. My camera actually doesn't use a pack, it uses 6 AA size batteries and I have two sets of rechargeables. When I go somewhere I always bring at least two more sets of disposables with. I know myself and the camera. Once I switch out the batteries I check to see how much space on the memory card I have left. Sweet, only 500 out of a thousand available pictures on this card. I'm pacing myself nicely (not an exaggeration. Last day hike I went on I came home with 600 pictures. That I'd kept).

Hmm, giant red ravens. Never seen those before. I get back out of the tent long enough to snap a pic (or two or three or four depending on light, angle and how hard it's raining) then hustle back in. I mention to Rol that I wonder how they would taste roasted over an open fire...

Incidentally, where does one get an "Azerbaijani bewitched canary" and would it teach me to speak Azerbaijani? That could be pretty cool.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #67
Certified Cake Maniac

Your turn. I will just give you one question now, but don't worry, there will be others!

If you were given your 15 minutes of fame, what would it be? Would you be a hero, a villain, a victim, a star? And would you be content when it was over or hunger for more?

Okay, that is three questions but they all relate!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Of all the things you have accomplished or done to date, which one thing are you most proud of?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Your turn. I will just give you one question now, but don't worry, there will be others!

If you were given your 15 minutes of fame, what would it be? Would you be a hero, a villain, a victim, a star? And would you be content when it was over or hunger for more?

Okay, that is three questions but they all relate!
Honestly, I don't even want 15 minutes of fame. I don't mind being the center of attention around people I know and love, and I've done the occasional bit of non-televised, extremely localized public speaking, but that's as close to famous as I want to be. Although I might be able to handle being famous for a moment as an author. Mostly because people tend to focus more on the work than the person so I could still keep out of the spotlight.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Of all the things you have accomplished or done to date, which one thing are you most proud of?
Being happy with being me. Or maybe it's more, learning to not constantly worry whether who I am is enough. I still have moments where I struggle with this, but I'm so much better than I used to be.

Either that, or passing Calc 1 on the first try in college without having already taken it in high school (stupid punk kids and their, "You didn't take it in high school? You're definitely going to fail." Hmph). Mock all you want that it was only Calc 1 but math is hard! and I've often heard it said that calculous is the begining of "real" math.

It's probably mostly the first answer but there are definitely moments when it's the second answer.