"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I am not big on danger--I don't need that adrenalin rush. However, I did once punch a bear in the nose.

Third time, skritching. Again a smack. Loud woof! Big feet thumping across the campsite. I had smacked a black bear, and scared him away.
Oh my! That must have given you a fright.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Not scared--excited, but I really wasn't worried about being eaten.

I would take a bear over a skunk any day. There have been very few attacks by black bears--only one in all the history of the Boundary Waters, and that is because the guy who was bitten was chasing the bear to retrieve his food pack, and fell down a hill ONTO the bear. Can't blame the bear for that!!

They are quite destructive when it comes to getting food, but even the mama bears with babies only 'bluff charge' and don't attack. For more info, if you want it, google the North American Bear Center. Lynn Rogers, the director, is kind of the 'Jane Goodall' of bear research--he follows bears in the woods, gains their trust, collars them without drugs, handles the cubs--very interesting stuff.

I was thinking about this 'danger' question, and probably the most dangerous thing I (or anybody else) will do is driving the car.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Our bears around here are a bit bigger and more aggressive...the balck bears have been coming in to town causing havoc, but no attacks. The grizzlies on the other hand...couple of mountain lion spottings around town, too!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Our bears around here are a bit bigger and more aggressive...the balck bears have been coming in to town causing havoc, but no attacks. The grizzlies on the other hand...couple of mountain lion spottings around town, too!
Actually, the grizzlies don't tend to be as aggressive as black bears. People have certainly been injured badly in Canada by black bears and mountain lions.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Actually, the grizzlies don't tend to be as aggressive as black bears. People have certainly been injured badly in Canada by black bears and mountain lions.
Last summer several people were killed or injured by grizzlies here in Montana...they are certainly aggressive and getting more so as they are losing their habitat. Terribly sad, they had to hunt down and kill a mother grizzly in Yellowstone for attacking campers. Her two cubs were relocated.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Last summer several people were killed or injured by grizzlies here in Montana...they are certainly aggressive and getting more so as they are losing their habitat. Terribly sad, they had to hunt down and kill a mother grizzly in Yellowstone for attacking campers. Her two cubs were relocated.
That is sad.