"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Getting To Know Sparrowgrass

1. What is your favorite thing to cook?

2. I you could, would you won a restaurant and what would you call it?

3. Who is your hero?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

If you could be invisible for a day and have access to go anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

do you like to read ? how many books have you read this year? what kind of books do you like?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Head Chef

1. Favorite thing to cook: Well, my dears, that depends on what I am hungry for. I like ethnic cooking--Chinese, Thai or Indian or Mexican--spicy, please. I live in the boonies, so if I want something out of the ordinary, I have to do it myself. I grow a big garden, and have chickens for eggs and meat, so if you came for dinner, everything on the table might be extremely local!

2. If I won a restaurant--hmmm, I think I would sell it and buy a bigger farm. No desire to run a restaurant. I love to feed people, but I would hate to have to do it every day.

3. Who is my hero? That is a hard one--maybe Sacacawea, the teenage mama who helped Lewis and Clark make it across the continent. Wouldn't you love to talk to her about her adventures?

If I could be invisible? Maybe I would hang out in Sarah Palin's house, and try to figure out just what the hell the woman is thinking. I am not sure my blood pressure could stand that, so I'll go hang out on some movie set, instead.

I live to read, I have books in every room of the house, out on the porch, and in the truck. I have no idea how many books I have read this year or this month or even this week. I visit the library about every 2 weeks for 5-6 books, plus the ones I buy (mostly at the thrift store), the ones I get from Audible.com, and the ones on my Sony Reader.

I like non-fiction--Sebastian Junger is a favorite (just finished War), along with John McPhee, and I am a weather geek, so I have read several about big storms, hurricanes and blizzards. I like Stephen King, Ivan Doig, Barbara Kingsolver.

Right now I am reading The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova from the library, and Pinocchio (on the Reader) and listening to Some Sing, Some Cry on my mp3 player. But not all at the same time. I probably would if I could!

I read in the bathtub, in the pool, in bed, while I am cooking, and I don't have TV, so I read in the evenings.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
1. Favorite thing to cook: Well, my dears, that depends on what I am hungry for. I like ethnic cooking--Chinese, Thai or Indian or Mexican--spicy, please. I live in the boonies, so if I want something out of the ordinary, I have to do it myself. I grow a big garden, and have chickens for eggs and meat, so if you came for dinner, everything on the table might be extremely local!

2. If I won a restaurant--hmmm, I think I would sell it and buy a bigger farm. No desire to run a restaurant. I love to feed people, but I would hate to have to do it every day.

3. Who is my hero? That is a hard one--maybe Sacacawea, the teenage mama who helped Lewis and Clark make it across the continent. Wouldn't you love to talk to her about her adventures?

If I could be invisible? Maybe I would hang out in Sarah Palin's house, and try to figure out just what the hell the woman is thinking. I am not sure my blood pressure could stand that, so I'll go hang out on some movie set, instead.

I live to read, I have books in every room of the house, out on the porch, and in the truck. I have no idea how many books I have read this year or this month or even this week. I visit the library about every 2 weeks for 5-6 books, plus the ones I buy (mostly at the thrift store), the ones I get from Audible.com, and the ones on my Sony Reader.

I like non-fiction--Sebastian Junger is a favorite (just finished War), along with John McPhee, and I am a weather geek, so I have read several about big storms, hurricanes and blizzards. I like Stephen King, Ivan Doig, Barbara Kingsolver.

Right now I am reading The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova from the library, and Pinocchio (on the Reader) and listening to Some Sing, Some Cry on my mp3 player. But not all at the same time. I probably would if I could!

I read in the bathtub, in the pool, in bed, while I am cooking, and I don't have TV, so I read in the evenings.

you sound much like me in the reading dept. if i don't have at least two unread books, i get uneasy.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?

Barbara
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Head Chef

Good questions!!

1. Favorite teacher--I had an English teacher in high school who really cared about me--and the rest of us. I had a teacher in college in an outdoor education class who said 'Your audience doesn't care how much you know, they care about how much you care.' She cared about her subject, and she cared about her students.

2. A year off--I would spend the winter somewhere warm, with a beach. I would travel some the rest of the year, but I have to be home to tend my garden in the summer!! I would like to go to Africa on camera-safari, maybe to Alaska or Canadian Rockies, the Maine coast, and back to Yellowstone for a couple of weeks.

3. I think I will be remembered as a slightly 'off' woman , who loves her family and friends with all her heart.

4. I am an educator--I teach Master Gardener classes, and do programming for kids in school on various subjects, so teaching 10 people how to make bread or potstickers or sushi would be so much fun!! As a matter of fact, the bread making class will probably happen this winter!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What is the most dangerous thing you have done? Are you glad you did it?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Head Chef

I am not big on danger--I don't need that adrenalin rush. However, I did once punch a bear in the nose.

We were camping in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota, and some little rodents were skritching on the side of tent. I smacked the tent, and the mousies went flying, and I went back to sleep.

Again--I was awakened by skritching on the side of the tent--smack--flying mousies.

Third time, skritching. Again a smack. Loud woof! Big feet thumping across the campsite. I had smacked a black bear, and scared him away.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I am not big on danger--I don't need that adrenalin rush. However, I did once punch a bear in the nose.

We were camping in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota, and some little rodents were skritching on the side of tent. I smacked the tent, and the mousies went flying, and I went back to sleep.

Again--I was awakened by skritching on the side of the tent--smack--flying mousies.

Third time, skritching. Again a smack. Loud woof! Big feet thumping across the campsite. I had smacked a black bear, and scared him away.
And I thought I was brave staring down a skunk.