"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

Sprout, I have a few for you.
What is your favourite thing to cook?
What is your least favourite thing to cook?
How old were you when you made your first item in the kitchen and what was it?
What is the last kitchen gadget (not appliance) you bought and how do you like it?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
What makes you worth knowing?

What is more important; A good life, with security, resources, and a great place to live: or, struggling to make ends meet, an developing personal relationships with family and friends, and why?

Which would you prefer to live on for three years; an empty tropical island, with tropical fruits and veggies, and wild game and seafood, and family, aka Swiss Family Robinson without the pirates;
or South Shore of Lake Superior, before the introduction of other people (you have it all to yourself, your DH, and children)?

If you were a fruit, what kind of fruit would you be?

If you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?

If you were a car, what kind of car would you be?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
-My positive attitude and desire to find the best in others. Maybe I'm not quite as worthy of knowing when I'm pregnant...

-Developing personal relationships. People matter more than things. Being "stable" without anyone to share in your joys and sorrows is still lonely. Even in the first scenario you described, trials will come, and if you have no one to depend on, they will seem much more unbearable than even greater trials seem when you have people who love and support you.

-depends. If I have time to learn about the tropical isle before I go, or at least a survival-guidebook to tell us what things are edible, what things are poisonous, how to deter local predators, etc, I'd pick the tropical Isle. If not, I already know the UP well enough to survive, probably even during the winter for a few years, whereas I doubt we'd survive long on the isle without any knowledge about our surroundings.

-A tangerine, maybe. Bright and refreshing, mostly sweet, but balanced by some tartness.

-Um, clearly a human.

-Maybe a Suburu Outback? Mostly functional, family-oriented, but with enough punch to have fun with and still able to hold my own in reasonably rough terrain.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Sprout parting is such a sad sweet sorrow, has splitting with anyone caused you to gush like a minky whale on heat?
Do you mean splitting in terms of a romantic relationship, or just parting ways with someone?
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Executive Chef

A romantic relationship.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
What is your favourite smell and why?

Describe your personality in 3 words?

What would your last supper be if you could choose?

What country would you like to visit and why?
My favorite smell that's currently available to me: citrus. Real citrus, like you just ripped open a orange peel, sliced up a lime, or cut open a grapefruit. It smells refreshing and clean (and delicious) to me. My favorite smell ever: My daughter's skin, especially her face, when she was an infant. Breast-fed babies just have a certain smell. There's really nothing to compare it to. It's fresh and slightly sweet and it sort of connected with my love for her. Every once in a while I catch a whiff of something similar on a newborn, and while it's not her exact smell, it reminds me of it.

Normally: Happy, friendly, talkative.
Pregnant: Moody, friendly, talkative. (Just being honest, I'm in the 3rd trimester here!)

Probably some sort of pasta. Maybe with seafood, maybe just loads of fresh sauteed veggies...

There are many countries I would love to visit, but if I had to pick just one, I would love to visit Greece. The stunning seaside views, the food, it just seems intoxicating.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Sprout, I have a few for you.
What is your favourite thing to cook?
What is your least favourite thing to cook?
How old were you when you made your first item in the kitchen and what was it?
What is the last kitchen gadget (not appliance) you bought and how do you like it?
My favorite thing to cook is probably pasta with fresh summer veggies and good cheese.

My least favorite thing to cook (bake) is pie. I love eating fresh, home-made pie; it's one of my absolute favorite foods, so I still do it occasionally, but my small kitchen always looks like a war-zone afterward and for whatever reason, rolling out pie dough is always a battle for me.

I'm sure I made sandwiches or something else like that before this, but my first memory of making something in the kitchen is of heating a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup on the stove. I don't know exactly how old I was, but judging by the kitchen in my memory, I was no more than 5 or 6. My older brother supervised, but I did it all my myself, from the pantry to the stove to the table. I was so proud of myself. Incidentally, it's one of the few memories I have with that brother from childhood that don't involve kicking/punching/bickering, etc. We get on well as adults, but terrorized each other as kids, so this is a precious memory for me. :)

Unless you count a can opener, I don't think I've ever bought anything that counts as a gadget. We have limited cupboard space, so I tend to stick to the basic, multi-functional tools. My parents bought one of those hand-crank apple peeler/corer/slicers last fall, but I actually haven't used it except for the quick trial on a potato with my dad that didn't work out so well when they gave it to me. I just haven't had the need to peel large amounts of apples yet, so the effort saved isn't worth cleaning it. Plus, I like the peels. I'm sure I'll use it this fall for baking, though!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

If you were given one million dollars on the condition that you would use it for no other purpose than feeding people who are hungry, how would you accomplish it? e.g.; soup kitchen, gift packages, garden setups....anything...
Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
A romantic relationship.

I've gotten a bit blubbery over 2 breakups that I can remember, but nothing that lasted too long. I was never much of a crier over sad things until I got pregnant with DD. Poor DH didn't know what to do with himself (or me) when his grown-up, usually-emotionally-strong wife reduced to the emotional control level of a pubescent pre-teen! He was a brave soul, though and weathered it like a champ!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
My favorite thing to cook is probably pasta with fresh summer veggies and good cheese.

My least favorite thing to cook (bake) is pie. I love eating fresh, home-made pie; it's one of my absolute favorite foods, so I still do it occasionally, but my small kitchen always looks like a war-zone afterward and for whatever reason, rolling out pie dough is always a battle for me.

I'm sure I made sandwiches or something else like that before this, but my first memory of making something in the kitchen is of heating a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup on the stove. I don't know exactly how old I was, but judging by the kitchen in my memory, I was no more than 5 or 6. My older brother supervised, but I did it all my myself, from the pantry to the stove to the table. I was so proud of myself. Incidentally, it's one of the few memories I have with that brother from childhood that don't involve kicking/punching/bickering, etc. We get on well as adults, but terrorized each other as kids, so this is a precious memory for me. :)

Unless you count a can opener, I don't think I've ever bought anything that counts as a gadget. We have limited cupboard space, so I tend to stick to the basic, multi-functional tools. My parents bought one of those hand-crank apple peeler/corer/slicers last fall, but I actually haven't used it except for the quick trial on a potato with my dad that didn't work out so well when they gave it to me. I just haven't had the need to peel large amounts of apples yet, so the effort saved isn't worth cleaning it. Plus, I like the peels. I'm sure I'll use it this fall for baking, though!
The peeler works wonderfully on apples. I tried it out, and was introduced to it by a friend who works at Ace hardware (where she bought hers). We both love it, as does your mother. But yeh, it was a disaster with that potato.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
If you were given one million dollars on the condition that you would use it for no other purpose than feeding people who are hungry, how would you accomplish it? e.g.; soup kitchen, gift packages, garden setups....anything...
I would say a lot of prayers asking for guidance and then use a bit of the money to hire people smarter and more qualified to organize the effort than myself. I would want the focus to be on getting people set up to grow and raise their own food, and live off the resources around them (hunting, gathering, etc) where possible so they could be helped in the long-term instead of just for a short time, as well as education on food safety, and encouraging those who are able-bodied to help provide for those who are not.