"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

What is cellular concrete?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

It's used to make heavy duty cellular phones. They are sturdy but recepetion stinks.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's used to make heavy duty cellular phones. They are sturdy but recepetion stinks.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Cellular concrete is nifty stuff, it was invented and patented in the US, but they sold (some of?) the rights to the Danes.

It is cement with lots of tiny air holes instead of sand or other particles. It is quite light weight. It is good for insulation (heat and sound). It is sold pre-formed. Some artists use it for sculpting. It has other uses.

It is made somewhat like a cake. You mix up your ingredients, including a rising agent, add liquid and bake. Then when it is cool, you cut slices or other shapes.

I worked there as a temp secretary during one summer while I was a student. I think it was the head office of a company that sold cellular concrete in Denmark and sold cellular concrete plants to other countries.

I talked a lot to the engineers and tech guys. They explained the non-secret parts of the process to me. I got to see the scaled down stuff in various stages in the research lab. There was no plant where I worked. It was almost 40 years ago, so I have forgotten a lot of the details.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I didn't even know the stuff existed. Thanks for explaining it to us.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I didn't even know the stuff existed. Thanks for explaining it to us.
You're welcome. I was surprised that I didn't see on this side of the pond. I haven't thought about it in years. It is probably a fairly green construction material.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Very interesting! Thanks for the education.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Do you ever go in to Montreal to eat? If so, what are your favorite restaurants there> Ever eat at Weinstein and Gavino's on Cresant St.? We had a good meal there last summer.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Do you ever go in to Montreal to eat? If so, what are your favorite restaurants there> Ever eat at Weinstein and Gavino's on Cresant St.? We had a good meal there last summer.
We usually only go in to Montreal to eat with friends. Parking is expensive, even on the street and I can add an extra $6 or so for gas.

I've never been to Weinstein and Gavino's. It's right downtown, but I can usually find free parking a few blocks away on St-Antoine. We go to Hurley's Irish Pub on Crescent every now and then to meet with friends and have a hamburger. The budget doesn't allow us to do that very often.

Favourite Montreal restaurants?

Il Focolaio Pizza on Philips Square which is across Ste-Catherine Street from The Bay. Fabulous individual pizzas made in a wood burning oven. They have something like 75 different kinds.

Mazurka on Prince Arthur. They have been there since before Prince Arthur became chic. Good, hearty Polish food and very good value.

Szechuan Village on Decarie at the corner of Monkland, across the street from the Villa Maria Metro station. Excellent food, especially considering it isn't in Chinatown. I can usually find free, street parking there.

La Main on St-Laurent across from Schwart's. I like the smoked meat better at The Main. They make a pretty good rib steak on a charcoal grill too. They serve it with a weiner and liver appetizer! also cooked on the charcoal grill. It's where I learned that liver can taste good. The ambience is nothing special - booths with no table cloths. They are open 24 hours a day. The name used to be "The Main, St Lawrence Steakhouse", but that's unilingual English, so they had to change it. The Main is what Anglos used to call Boulevard St-Laurent and some of us geezers still do.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Trip to Denmark

Didn't know where to post this, so this seemed like the place.

On Tuesday, 2011 January 18 I'm off to Copenhagen. It's not vacation. It's dealing with my mother's estate. My sister is going too. It will be our last chance to stay in my mum's apartment. It has been sold and the new owner gets it on 2011 Feb 1.

It will be interesting. I will probably get to see some cousins. I hope to be able to get together with a friend. I also hope to pick up a rullepølse press.

Right now I'm stressing about all sorts of stuff. How much clothing to bring, how to encrypt the hard drive on my computer. Can I get a cheap cell phone in Denmark? I need a lift to the airport and have to arrange that. I need to change my and DH's doctor's appointments.

Unfortunately, DH won't be coming. We can't afford it. The estate is paying.

At least I don't have to arrange for someone to take car of the cat and the plants (herbs).

I'm excited and anxious.