"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Executive Chef

What do like the most about yourself?

My imagination. It's helped me in many, many ways.

If you could pass something on to the next generation what would it be?

My understanding of why globalization is necessary for our species to survive.

What was the most happiest moment in your life?

Having something very bad miss me by only a few inches. A feeling like no other.

---

Hola mi amigo :)

Hey my friend!

What's your favourite smell?

Entering a bakery on a cold winter day.

Which song's lyrics describe or relate to you most?

I'm not much of a music person. I like music, but more for the tunes than the words. I honestly don't know the words to very many songs. None that would describe me and none that come to mind that relate to me as a person. My favorite music has no words. (Violin or Classical Guitar)

If you were a soup, which one would you be?

Wildly stirred alphabet soup.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #22
Master Chef

Love your answers lol! Especially the last one!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #23
Cook

Hey Timothy,

If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be, and why?

And what is your answer for "if a tree falls in the woods and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

And what, in your opinion, is the absolute best way to make a delicious lunch in under 3 minutes?

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #24
Head Chef

Timothy--reading these answers here, I think you can expect me to come for dinner sometime in February, when it is cold and icy here and lovely and warm in St. Augustine.

I want sushi. I am patient.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Hey Timothy,

Hey N.A.H.! Good to meetcha!

If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be, and why?

A willow tree. Pleasing to look at, limber and able to withstand against much force without breaking. Useful in hundreds of ways. Strong, resilient and flexible.

And what is your answer for "if a tree falls in the woods and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Sound is a physical force. As such, the physics involved mandate that nothing would change with either a receptor or lack of such for the vibrations created when a tree falls. Vibrations, (sound), would be created and expand within the laws of physics.

And what, in your opinion, is the absolute best way to make a delicious lunch in under 3 minutes?

Take a pint of homemade soup from the freezer and nuke it!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Timothy--reading these answers here, I think you can expect me to come for dinner sometime in February, when it is cold and icy here and lovely and warm in St. Augustine.

I want sushi. I am patient.
While it's never snowing here in St. Augustine, we do have our short winters. It gets cold here in February. I'll still have my oil-filled radiators out and on in the evenings and night.

You just come on and join me for supper! There's always an extra seat at my supper table!

Spring time in St. Augustine is absolutely beautiful. March or April are just picture-postcard pretty!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #27
Head Chef

Hi Timothy

If someone handed you pasta and commanded you to make a dish, lol, what dish would that be??

Do you have a funny cooking storie?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #28
Executive Chef

jusnikki:Hi Timothy

Hi Nikki! Good to meetcha!

If someone handed you pasta and commanded you to make a dish, lol, what dish would that be??

It would be Fettuccine Alfredo with Smoked Chicken pieces in it. It's the dish I always eat too much of.

Do you have a funny cooking story?

Just the manner and methods used by the Chef who taught me almost everything I've learned about cooking. His name was Henri Charbonneau, (not sure about the spelling), and he was the chef who ran the kitchen at the restaurant I worked at as a teen.

He was an exacting task-master, and he carried a wooden spoon in his pocket for emphasizing sentences when I messed up something. I think I still have a knot on my head that he put there!

I prepped for him when he made dishes for the elite, personally. That's all he did with actual cooking. The rest was overseeing the staff of 20 chefs and assorted helpers.

He would sometimes put a two dishes of the same food on the counter. One would have the seasonings in it, the other none at all. He would have me taste the one with none first. Then the other. It's how I learned to season foods.

Sometimes, he would leave out only one seasoning and have me tell him what was missing. If I got it wrong....yep, whack! The dreaded spoon!

Not really a funny cooking story, but an important one for me.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
jusnikki:Hi Timothy

Hi Nikki! Good to meetcha!

It would be Fettuccine Alfredo with Smoked Chicken pieces in it. It's the dish I always eat too much of.

Do you have a funny cooking story?

Just the manner and methods used by the Chef who taught me almost everything I've learned about cooking. His name was Henri Charbonneau, (not sure about the spelling), and he was the chef who ran the kitchen at the restaurant I worked at as a teen.

He was an exacting task-master, and he carried a wooden spoon in his pocket for emphasizing sentences when I messed up something. I think I still have a knot on my head that he put there!

I prepped for him when he made dishes for the elite, personally. That's all he did with actual cooking. The rest was overseeing the staff of 20 chefs and assorted helpers.

He would sometimes put a two dishes of the same food on the counter. One would have the seasonings in it, the other none at all. He would have me taste the one with none first. Then the other. It's how I learned to season foods.

Sometimes, he would leave out only one seasoning and have me tell him what was missing. If I got it wrong....yep, whack! The dreaded spoon!

Not really a funny cooking story, but an important one for me.
I'd bet you don't care for wooden spoons now, lol. I'm not a chef just a home cook, lol, but I've watched on the food network how their always telling the seasonings in food. I've tried that, lol, and I don't see how that's possible to name each spice, etc. But I guess that comes with "learned taste buds" lol.

You know what my thing is with wooden spoons?? I don't like to touch would that hasn't been varnished or covered with sort of finish. So when I use a wood spoon I have to wear some type of glove or mit, lol. Touching raw wood is like nails on a board to me... don't know why. (just thought I'd throw that in )
Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I'd bet you don't care for wooden spoons now, lol. I'm not a chef just a home cook, lol, but I've watched on the food network how their always telling the seasonings in food. I've tried that, lol, and I don't see how that's possible to name each spice, etc. But I guess that comes with "learned taste buds" lol.

You know what my thing is with wooden spoons?? I don't like to touch would that hasn't been varnished or covered with sort of finish. So when I use a wood spoon I have to wear some type of glove or mit, lol. Touching raw wood is like nails on a board to me... don't know why. (just thought I'd throw that in )
I use wooden spoons on my non-stick pans, but that's all. I know what you mean about wood. I have my own problem with it. If my teeth touch anything wooden, like a Popsicle stick, it gags me and gives me a weird feeling that passes through my whole body. It's done that since I was a small child.

If you make a batch of plain white sauce, and then take just a tad of it and add one seasoning, then do the not-in-it vs in-it taste test, you'll learn to taste the various seasonings very well. Then add a second seasoning and do it again. You'll see the huge difference it makes without spending hardly anything to test it. Some seasonings go so well with others. Some clash badly or turn into a third taste that is unappealing.