"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thank you thank you thank you x 1000. Goodnight my friend :)
Wow! So much praise for such a little task! Man!

I feel good, nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah.....

Old 08-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Timothy,
I get it. My company asked me to go part time after 24 years. So I gave them 2 day's notice instead. Took about a year off, then went back to work for a similar company, only bigger and with better reputation and annual revenues. As a Scorpio, I enjoy revenge and don't apologize for it. However, as a non-20-something-year-old, I also don't worry about the effect of bending over a desk in a low-cut sweater/short skirt anymore. Therefore, even though I don't yet have the freedom you do in retirement, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am really good at what I do and that I still like doing it. So there!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That's it Andy. How well you do your job has little to do with anything. It's all politics and players. I'm seriously glad now to be out of it.

I have virtually no stress in my life now and I'm loving it!

There are three things in my life now:

1. Getting up whenever I feel like it.

2. Going to bed when I feel like it.

3. Whatever I choose to do in-between those two times.

those are exactly the three things i love about being retired. people tell me they are bored in retirement. i feel as you do, how could they be bored? there are not enough hours in the day to do all the things i want to do. i was 62 when i retired and i have loved every minute of the last eleven years.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Timothy,
I get it. My company asked me to go part time after 24 years. So I gave them 2 day's notice instead. Took about a year off, then went back to work for a similar company, only bigger and with better reputation and annual revenues. As a Scorpio, I enjoy revenge and don't apologize for it. However, as a non-20-something-year-old, I also don't worry about the effect of bending over a desk in a low-cut sweater/short skirt anymore. Therefore, even though I don't yet have the freedom you do in retirement, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am really good at what I do and that I still like doing it. So there!
I was gonna try the miniskirt and low cut top, but I couldn't find an outfit that went well with my shoes!

I know what you mean. The managements of these companies have slacked off, played golf instead of working, done thier jobs wrong and we, the actual workers get to pay for it in tears and unemployment. You wouldn't believe the mismanagement I witnessed in 25 years there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
those are exactly the three things i love about being retired. people tell me they are bored in retirement. i feel as you do, how could they be bored? there are not enough hours in the day to do all the things i want to do. i was 62 when i retired and i have loved every minute of the last eleven years.
Outstanding, babetoo! Good for you! I figure that with all the advances in life-longevity, the things that would have gotten me at 80 won't get me until 100. That's my goal! I want to see 100 in reasonable health and with my mind intact. (Of course there are those who will say my mind has flown the coop already! Ha!)

This winter, I'll be putting up my first of many outside greenhouses. During 2012, I'll perfect my hydroponic systems outside and start selling veggies at the farmers market. I have wanted to grow and sell hydroponic veggies my entire life. At last, I'll be doing the deed!

It's taken a lot of time, work and money to make this happen. That's why it didn't happen while I was working for the corporate nasties. The day I get to sell some veggies to my old boss, the circle will be complete and I'll have a great laugh at him.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Are there any circumstances you can think of where, if a job presented itself, you'd be willing to leave retirement and accept it?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Are there any circumstances you can think of where, if a job presented itself, you'd be willing to leave retirement and accept it?
If some rich person were to fund my dream Aquaponic/Hydroponic farm in any large city. I've developed a way to build and operate a "Triple Parking Garage Sized" hydroponic farm within the inner-city that would supply a quarter million pounds of fresh hydroponic produce each month and nearly that much fresh fish, 12 months per/year.

This type of farm will happen in every city in the world, eventually. It has to. I just wish I could build and operate the first one now. I would move to any city in the world to do so.

To know how to accomplish this and not have the opportunity to do so, is as frustrating as anything could ever be to me.

All it takes is money...and me.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #47
Head Chef

Name one of your favorite restaurants?

What's the best thing you've ever eaten?

What's the worst you've eaten?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #48
Executive Chef

"Wasabi's" in Jacksonville, Florida, (The one on 115), is my favorite restaurant. It's a buffet style place with a reputation of being above the quality that is the norm is this type of restaurant. They have a sushi area that is unsurpassed by mid-level sushi houses and hot food that is well prepared and delicious. The average cost for me, including drink and tip is about $25. Excellent service, very polite waiting staff that all speak excellent English.

The sushi area has Salmon, Tuna, Escolar, Clam, Octopus, Mackerel and Eel nigiri. It also has Salmon, Tuna and Escolar sashimi and about 12 types of rolls to choose from.

There is 5 or six salad items, including pretty good kimchi. Raw Oysters, cooked shrimp and smoked mussels are on ice.

On the hot food side, there is spareribs, grilled chicken, coconut shrimp, frogs legs, pepper shrimp, baked salmon, snow crab legs, steamed clams, deep fried tofu cubes, stir-fried green beans and stir-fried broccoli.

On the Tempura side, there is shrimp, broccoli, whole mushrooms, squash, onion rings and chicken, (all tempura fried).

There are always three types of soups. These vary. Always one noodle type soup and always miso. The other soup can be anything...

This is a "All you can eat" place that has about a 75% Asian to 25% non-Asian clientele.

I simply love the place. It's 30 minutes from my house in St. Augustine, but well worth the trip.

There are so many "bests" to choose from...

Peach cobbler made with over-ripe peaches, maple syrup and with butter-crumb topping which in turn has heavy whipped cream on it. This is a dessert that I can consistently over-eat on. It tastes like a piece of heaven!

"Stinky Tofu" is the nastiest, foulest, most revolting, disgusting thing that has ever been in my mouth. It got chewed about twice and spit out. My God! Who in their right mind could eat that stuff? Here's a way to find out how it smells; the next time you see a full garbage truck, stick your face into the rear of the truck about 2 inches from the garbage.

That's how Stinky Tofu smells and tastes. As far as I'm concerned, it's name is well deserved in a very nasty way.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

"Wasabi's" in Jacksonville, Florida, (The one on 115), is my favorite restaurant. It's a buffet style place with a reputation of being above the quality that is the norm is this type of restaurant. They have a sushi area that is unsurpassed by mid-level sushi houses and hot food that is well prepared and delicious. The average cost for me, including drink and tip is about $25. Excellent service, very polite waiting staff that all speak excellent English.

The sushi area has Salmon, Tuna, Escolar, Clam, Octopus, Mackerel and Eel nigiri. It also has Salmon, Tuna and Escolar sashimi and about 12 types of rolls to choose from.

There is 5 or six salad items, including pretty good kimchi. Raw Oysters, cooked shrimp and smoked mussels are on ice.

On the hot food side, there is spareribs, grilled chicken, coconut shrimp, frogs legs, pepper shrimp, baked salmon, snow crab legs, steamed clams, deep fried tofu cubes, stir-fried green beans and stir-fried broccoli.

On the Tempura side, there is shrimp, broccoli, whole mushrooms, squash, onion rings and chicken, (all tempura fried).

There are always three types of soups. These vary. Always one noodle type soup and always miso. The other soup can be anything...

This is a "All you can eat" place that has about a 75% Asian to 25% non-Asian clientele.

I simply love the place. It's 30 minutes from my house in St. Augustine, but well worth the trip.

There are so many "bests" to choose from...

Peach cobbler made with over-ripe peaches, maple syrup and with butter-crumb topping which in turn has heavy whipped cream on it. This is a dessert that I can consistently over-eat on. It tastes like a piece of heaven!

"Stinky Tofu" is the nastiest, foulest, most revolting, disgusting thing that has ever been in my mouth. It got chewed about twice and spit out. My God! Who in their right mind could eat that stuff? Here's a way to find out how it smells; the next time you see a full garbage truck, stick your face into the rear of the truck about 2 inches from the garbage.

That's how Stinky Tofu smells and tastes. As far as I'm concerned, it's name is well deserved in a very nasty way.
i agree with your opinion of tofu. i can't imagine what mind set would make you think that stuff was good to eat. sorta like thick pasty glue to me.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i agree with your opinion of tofu. i can't imagine what mind set would make you think that stuff was good to eat. sorta like thick pasty glue to me.
Ha! I didn't make myself clear then....I love tofu that *I* prepare. The type that is called "Stinky Tofu" is a very particular type of tofu preparation. The stuff is fermented until its sooooooo foul.

Now, if you take some very firm tofu, marinate it for 2 hours in a strong chicken broth, dip it into a batter and deep fry it to a crisp golden 1/2 inch cube, it's fantastic!

Tofu that has been prepared in a manner that makes it taste and have a mouth-feel of thick pasty glue, is just that. Nasty!

Like with most foods, it's all in how it's prepared!

I can promise you, however, if you ever get a chance to just *smell* "Stinky Tofu", it'll make the boogie-man look like a stuffed cat!

Dang that stuff is LOUD!