"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #51
Head Chef

I don't think I'd eat anything that started with "stinky" LOLOL.
I've never really even understood what tofu is.. I know it doesn't
look right... I'm verrry suspious of tofu...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I don't think I'd eat anything that started with "stinky" LOLOL.
I've never really even understood what tofu is.. I know it doesn't
look right... I'm verrry suspious of tofu...
Oh Nikki, you just gave me one of the best laughs I've had in awhile! Ha! I agree! If it starts with "Stinky", run....run very fast!

Tofu is a very simple food that is for non-meat eaters or those who wish to limit the amount of meat they eat because of diet restrictions or financial reasons.

It's very simple to make and has the same amount of protein in it as it's equal counterpart in meat. Literally billions of people today use it in their daily diet.

Tofu is nothing more than soy milk curd. That's it! Nothing less, nothing more! It has a nutty flavor of its own, but also adopts other flavors very, very well. If you marinate it in chicken stock, it will taste like chicken! Beef stock....it tastes like beef! Kimchi....it tastes like kimchi!

The texture is sometimes a turn-off to some. Extra firm tofu is a texture that is more able to be eaten by many westerners. Frying it until lightly browned also helps make it more palatable to some.

If you fry it in peanut oil....guess what it tastes like then! Yep....Peanuts!

If you fry it in heavily seasoned garlic oil, then it will taste like garlic!

Simply put, tofu takes on whatever flavor it is marinated or cooked with and provides a very healthy alternative to meat or an addition to meat dishes to limit the amount of meat in a diet.

Making tofu is also as easy. Here's a video with nice music that shows how to simply make your own homemade tofu.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Oh Nikki, you just gave me one of the best laughs I've had in awhile! Ha! I agree! If it starts with "Stinky", run....run very fast!

Tofu is a very simple food that is for non-meat eaters or those who wish to limit the amount of meat they eat because of diet restrictions or financial reasons.

It's very simple to make and has the same amount of protein in it as it's equal counterpart in meat. Literally billions of people today use it in their daily diet.

Tofu is nothing more than soy milk curd. That's it! Nothing less, nothing more! It has a nutty flavor of its own, but also adopts other flavors very, very well. If you marinate it in chicken stock, it will taste like chicken! Beef stock....it tastes like beef! Kimchi....it tastes like kimchi!

The texture is sometimes a turn-off to some. Extra firm tofu is a texture that is more able to be eaten by many westerners. Frying it until lightly browned also helps make it more palatable to some.

If you fry it in peanut oil....guess what it tastes like then! Yep....Peanuts!

If you fry it in heavily seasoned garlic oil, then it will taste like garlic!

Simply put, tofu takes on whatever flavor it is marinated or cooked with and provides a very healthy alternative to meat or an addition to meat dishes to limit the amount of meat in a diet.

Making tofu is also as easy. Here's a video with nice music that shows how to simply make your own homemade tofu.

LOL, thanks for the video but I don't think I'll be making tofu anytime soon. Just knowing it's made from "curds".......makes me cringe. I never have liked the word "curd". It's to close to another word....

I won't say I'd never try it.. I'd try some things once...if it's not "stinky".
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
I never have liked the word "curd". It's to close to another word....
Then the words; "grits" and "cuke" must be bothersome to you also.... as in "I had the grits yesterday" and "toss that cuke into that bucket"...oh my...

I'll take it you don't eat cottage cheese...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Then the words; "grits" and "cuke" must be bothersome to you also.... as in "I had the grits yesterday" and "toss that cuke into that bucket"...oh my...

I'll take it you don't eat cottage cheese...
LOL, hey I'm from the south, I'ma eat some grits, lol.

And noooo no cottage cheese for me. Not even ricotta cheese.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
LOL, hey I'm from the south, I'ma eat some grits, lol.

And noooo no cottage cheese for me. Not even ricotta cheese.
I guess you're just gonna be curdless....Ha!

I ate so many grits as a young person, that I got burned-out on them. I only eat them once in a great while now. Always with butter and sugar.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
I guess you're just gonna be curdless....Ha!

I ate so many grits as a young person, that I got burned-out on them. I only eat them once in a great while now. Always with butter and sugar.

Yes sir, curdless is the way for me..lol.

Butter and sugar is the only way to eat grits. Any other way is wrong,lol.
I know a lot of "city folk" eat it plain. They are missing out..lol. Seriously I don't eat a lot of grits, though I love them. Grits are one of those foods that like to stay with you, lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's it Andy. How well you do your job has little to do with anything. It's all politics and players. I'm seriously glad now to be out of it.

I have virtually no stress in my life now and I'm loving it!

There are three things in my life now:

1. Getting up whenever I feel like it.

2. Going to bed when I feel like it.

3. Whatever I choose to do in-between those two times.
our lives are the same. once in awhile i have felt guilty about that. then my brain says "you earned it" you have to watch that you don't become to isolated in that life. i find that i resent intrusions, in the living of that kind of a life.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
our lives are the same. once in awhile i have felt guilty about that. then my brain says "you earned it" you have to watch that you don't become to isolated in that life. i find that i resent intrusions, in the living of that kind of a life.
I have become a little isolated. I do love company however. With times as hard as they are now, I get a twinge of guilt once in awhile when I think of how secure my life is now. I worked a total of 40 years for other people. Now I live from the pension from that work. I don't have a lot, but I have plenty for me.

Life is good.