"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Getting to Know | Timothy

1. If you could, would you own a restaurant and what would you call it?

2. How do you like your eggs?

3. Who is your hero and why?

Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you want my special questions (see Sprout's getting to know page for examples) or standard ones?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
1. If you could, would you own a restaurant and what would you call it?

2. How do you like your eggs?

3. Who is your hero and why?
1. I've thought of opening a place called "The Fritter Critter". The only item on the menu other than assorted drinks would be 100 variations of fritters. Everything from veggie fritters to seafood fritters. Even entire meals of fritters including desert fritters! (I live in the south USA, what can I say)

2. My favorite way is in eggnog. Gotta leave that stuff alone now, because it's become too risky to eat raw eggs.

3. My current hero is actually a pair of heros. Bill and Melinda Gates. They use the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation" to save lives at an unprecented scale, using their own money. They've done so much good, that it erases any bad that can be said about them, IMHO. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Do you want my special questions (see Sprout's getting to know page for examples) or standard ones?
You may ask me anything you like within reason.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

Who has been there for you in your life more than any other?

What did you want to become when you were a boy and is it what you became?

What country would you like to visit most and why?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

1. Did you grow up where you live or did you move there?

2. When not in the kitchen, what would you rather be doing--extreme sports, reading a good book, watching a movie?

3. If you could be anyone else, who would you like to be and why (this person can be living or a historical figure).
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Who has been there for you in your life more than any other?

What did you want to become when you were a boy and is it what you became?

What country would you like to visit most and why?
1. For the 17 years that my late wife and I were together, we were a perfectly matched pair. Life was never as wonderful prior to finding her and will never be as wonderful without her. Even while typing this, my heart aches at my loss of her companionship and love. I don't mean this in any morbid way, just as an honest answer to your question. There are no proper words to describe how much I miss her.

2. When very young, Karate always fascinated me. I wanted to learn it more than anything else. At 7 years old, my Father allowed me to start lessons in taekwondo. Later, at 18, I switched to Kenpo. I stayed in it as a student and instructor until I was 45. One is always a student. The person who cannot learn more has never existed. My favorite classes to teach were the very young children. I had a 5 year old student who developed a method of take-down where he could put a 200 pound man on his back, and yes, he put ME down using it, *one time*. I loved it!

3. Japan. hehe, my sig line answers the why...it's the home of sushi! I don't know if anyone could drag me away from Japan once I was there!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
1. For the 17 years that my late wife and I were together, we were a perfectly matched pair. Life was never as wonderful prior to finding her and will never be as wonderful without her. Even while typing this, my heart aches at my loss of her companionship and love. I don't mean this in any morbid way, just as an honest answer to your question. There are no proper words to describe how much I miss her.

2. When very young, Karate always fascinated me. I wanted to learn it more than anything else. At 7 years old, my Father allowed me to start lessons in taekwondo. Later, at 18, I switched to Kenpo. I stayed in it as a student and instructor until I was 45. One is always a student. The person who cannot learn more has never existed. My favorite classes to teach were the very young children. I had a 5 year old student who developed a method of take-down where he could put a 200 pound man on his back, and yes, he put ME down using it, *one time*. I loved it!

3. Japan. hehe, my sig line answers the why...it's the home of sushi! I don't know if anyone could drag me away from Japan once I was there!
Couldn't have answered better myself, this young lady has a new found respect for you :)
P.S I don't think your first answer is borbid, I felt the same about my Gran. Still can't think of her favourite song, smell etc. without getting a lump in my throat and it's been 11 yrs.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
1. Did you grow up where you live or did you move there?

2. When not in the kitchen, what would you rather be doing--extreme sports, reading a good book, watching a movie?

3. If you could be anyone else, who would you like to be and why (this person can be living or a historical figure).
1. I was born in Nevada. I grew up in Maryland. I moved to Florida in 1981 and haven't left it again other than to visit.

2. It would be an even chance of reading or watching a movie. I love either, equally. I'm too old for extreme sports of any kind. (58)

3. There is no other person I would prefer to be. I am completely satisfied in being myself. My life has been full of adventures and is now comfortable in retirement. I can see no way to improve my life in any way by being someone who I am not.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Thieves have come to your house and robbed you of all food except your five most plentiful ingredients! You have an important person coming to dinner in a couple hours and no way to get to the store. What five ingredients would remain and what would you make with them?

There are three doors in front of you. The one to the left leads to a place that is just OK. It's not good, it's not bad, but it"s safe and the path to it is easy to traverse. The door on the right leads to a place that is great. It's absolutely beautiful and being their fills you with joy. But the path to it is very difficult to traverse and possibly even a little dangerous (no imminent death, just really bad sprains, blisters, maybe some dehydration and such). You have no idea where the middle door goes. For whatever reason you have to go through on of the doors and once you're through you can't come back. Which door do you choose.

What personality trait do you most value in yourself?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
1. Thieves have come to your house and robbed you of all food except your five most plentiful ingredients! You have an important person coming to dinner in a couple hours and no way to get to the store. What five ingredients would remain and what would you make with them?

2. There are three doors in front of you. The one to the left leads to a place that is just OK. It's not good, it's not bad, but it"s safe and the path to it is easy to traverse. The door on the right leads to a place that is great. It's absolutely beautiful and being their fills you with joy. But the path to it is very difficult to traverse and possibly even a little dangerous (no imminent death, just really bad sprains, blisters, maybe some dehydration and such). You have no idea where the middle door goes. For whatever reason you have to go through on of the doors and once you're through you can't come back. Which door do you choose.

3. What personality trait do you most value in yourself?
1. The 5 most plentiful food items in my home are consistently:
1. Rice (Both long and short grain)
2. Fresh Vegetables/Nori
3. Chicken
4. Fish
5. Ribeye Steaks

There are about a million recipes that have those ingredients in them, so with those 5, or any two of them, I can make one of several dozen stir-fry dishes. I would make the spectrum of flavors for a combo meal of:

1. Using my short grain rice, I would make them a sushi presentation of about 8 pieces per/person, with Salmon/Tuna/Whiting/Yellowtail nigiri evenly spaced into a circle with some seaweed salad in the center.

2. Thinly sliced ribeye flash cooked in very hot oil, combined with a soy/garlic/ginger/sweet chili sauce and mixed with water chestnuts/broccoli/carrots/spring onions and served over steamed long grain rice.

3. I would take some veggies and use the food processor to reduce them to a puree. I would season that puree with mesquite BBQ seasoning and garlic. Then add just enough white sauce to make it slightly fluid and wrap it with chicken pounded into very thin wraps. Then gently lower it into the wok just long enough to cook the chicken. This would be served around a small bowl of jasmine rice with spring onions and carrot bits mixed through it.

----
2. I would take the door on the left and spend the remainder of my life in peace and introspection. There is enough in my mind now to keep me busy thinking of it for many years. While doing so, I could get my exercise and enjoy the tranquility of my surroundings. Maybe even meet and gain some animal friends to enjoy the place with.

----
3. Honesty. Without honesty, everything else is pointless. It's the building block of all experiences and it's absence is the primary reason for all failures. If a person is not honest with others, it is always discovered and they will be shunned by anyone knowing their dishonesty, leading to despair and loneliness. If one is not honest with oneself, it is the utmost tragedy of life. One's life is truly pointless then.

Note: I kinda cheated with the "fresh vegetables" part. I guess I should have restricted myself to only one vegetable, but I just couldn't resist. It's a well known fact that food thieves hate vegetables...