"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

do you like to read? what kind of books? how many books have you read this year?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

What's the meaning of your screen name?

Do you think that you are generally an optimist or a pessimist?

Do you have siblings, and/or children?
I commercial fished for 6 years on boats ranging from 32' to 61' long for up to 2 weeks at a time in the Gulf of Mexico. It is very dangerous and many friends were lost over the years.

The Perfect Storm is about fishermen who stopped by twice a year in our little fishing village on their travels up and down the Gulf Stream fishing for swordfish. We shared many a beer over the years.

The No Name Storm (a different storm) came up very fast and killed a bunch of people. It was called the No Name Storm because it came up so fast, killed so many, and ended before it could ever be named. When I cried for my friends, my Mom said, "Now you know how I feel every time you go out there."

I think I came up with Zhizara when I first joined DC back in 2008. I wanted to join and it asked for a screen name, so I made up the most exotic name I could and it wasn't already taken. I have since completed the name as Zhizara Zoe Zhizarazoz!

I've always been an optomist, but I'm trying to be a pessimist. A pessimist can be happily surprised by an outcome. As an optomist you are often disappointed. I'd rather be happily surprised them disappointed.

I am an only child. My daughter is in her 30s with a 17 y/o teenager of her own. They live in Georgia so we don't see each other much, but stay in touch by email. I had a son, but he died just before turning 22.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I commercial fished for 6 years on boats ranging from 32' to 61' long for up to 2 weeks at a time in the Gulf of Mexico. It is very dangerous and many friends were lost over the years.
Wow! How do you come to commercial fishing? How were you brave enough?

Quote:
I had a son, but he died just before turning 22.
(((hugs))) No parent should ever outlive their child. The right words escape me.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

[QUOTE=taxlady;942479]Wow! How do you come to commercial fishing? How were you brave enough?

I lived in a fishing village and my two local bars were hangouts for fishermen. They were always looking for mates, and once you go out there you fall in love with the ocean, the fresh air, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets and just being away from it all.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Pick an era in the 19th or 20th centuries to go back in time to for a month. When did you pick and why?
I wouldn't want to go back at all. I like electricity and indoor plumbing, and I can't imagine life without my computer.

I would, however, love to spend some time in the future, just to see what new inventions have come out.

Technology amazes me. I grew up reading Dick Tracy and his two way wrist radio and just look at people walking around with a blue tooth in their ear.

I never imagined the Internet. I can write a message here and have a reply from Bolas in the few minutes it takes him to write a reply. I feel so awed by having a laptop. It's small, lightweight, and has to capacity to keep me in touch with the world and not even be plugged in.

I got fascinated with space when Sputnik went up and now drool over the pictures from the Hubble Telescope. Crisp, clear pictures of galaxies billions of light years away. I can't even get my head around light years.

As a bookkeeper I worked long and hard over hand written spreadsheets and spent long hours at the adding machine getting them to balance. The last job I had, all that balancing was done by the computer. Sweet.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

You have one one chance to go forward in the future. What date would you pick and why?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd really like to see where technology goes from here, so I'd say 100 years from now. This time of year would be nice to see how holiday customs have changed/not changed.

Things have changed so much in the last 100 years I'd really like to see the progress of the next 100.