"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Any Marmite or Vegemite fanciers?

About 10 years ago we lived in an apartment complex, and our neighbors were a nice couple -- he was from Australia and she was from here. We had them over for dinner and a few times and vice versa.

"Hey mate", he asked, "ever try a Vegemite sandwich?" He said it's mentioned in a Men At Work song 'Down Under'.

His wife cringed. "It's vile stuff", she said.

I had heard of it but had never tried it. "Is it some sort of jam or spread?" I asked. He then pulled out a small jar of it and made a sandwich with a thin layer of it on both slices and a piece of cheese.

I liked it immediately. It's got a sort of salty, savory test to it. And I imagine if I were a vegetarian, I'd eat a lot of it because it is sort of that salty savory that you might miss as a vegetarian.

I take it to work in my lunchbox at least twice a week -- sandwich form with a cup of soup. Though, the local market only carries Marmite (the British version) and not Vegemite. But it's similar. I prefer Vegemite. I sometimes buy Vegemite off the internet. But it's a pretty inexpensive food item. A small jar lasts a long time and makes a lot of sandwiches. Good source of nutrients and a bit of protein, too.


__________________

__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
Oh, I love my Vegemite...love it on hot buttered bread. I also make a Tomato Quiche that uses Vegemite...to die for!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,077
I also tried it ( back in the 80's when the Men at Work song was released).
All i remember was that I hated it and it was real salty.

Now, fast forward 30 years, Im curious if my more ' mature and experienced' taste buds would feel the same way.

Maybe Ill pick some up, next time i see it, and give it a go.
__________________
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,408
Tried it a couple of times. Not a fan.

It's been several years, though, so I may have to give it another go.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,783
Anything that has "mite" in its name reminds me of pesty, little insects.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 588
When it is cold, raining, snowing, you are tired and the world hates you, put a level teaspoonful of Marmite into a mug, pour on hot water, stir......and let the world go away.
Or, if you are adventurous, spread a fine layer of marmite onbuttered toast, add sliced banana on top and put back under the grill to warm through. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.
__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I also tried it ( back in the 80's when the Men at Work song was released).
All i remember was that I hated it and it was real salty.

Now, fast forward 30 years, Im curious if my more ' mature and experienced' taste buds would feel the same way.

Maybe Ill pick some up, next time i see it, and give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Tried it a couple of times. Not a fan.

It's been several years, though, so I may have to give it another go.
The trick is to use a light smear, don't gob it on. The fat in butter works todraw out the flavor and you are not hit with a mouthful of salt. True instance of where less is more.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 407
I need to try this stuff. I just listened to in interview with Kenji. He adds it to beef stews along with anchovies and soy sauce. Not a lot of any, mind you...He said they work synergisticly to bring out the flavor in the meat. They all add umami but together they work hand in hand.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
About 10 years ago we lived in an apartment complex, and our neighbors were a nice couple -- he was from Australia and she was from here. We had them over for dinner and a few times and vice versa.

"Hey mate", he asked, "ever try a Vegemite sandwich?" He said it's mentioned in a Men At Work song 'Down Under'.

His wife cringed. "It's vile stuff", she said.

I had heard of it but had never tried it. "Is it some sort of jam or spread?" I asked. He then pulled out a small jar of it and made a sandwich with a thin layer of it on both slices and a piece of cheese.

I liked it immediately. It's got a sort of salty, savory test to it. And I imagine if I were a vegetarian, I'd eat a lot of it because it is sort of that salty savory that you might miss as a vegetarian.

I take it to work in my lunchbox at least twice a week -- sandwich form with a cup of soup. Though, the local market only carries Marmite (the British version) and not Vegemite. But it's similar. I prefer Vegemite. I sometimes buy Vegemite off the internet. But it's a pretty inexpensive food item. A small jar lasts a long time and makes a lot of sandwiches. Good source of nutrients and a bit of protein, too.

Marmite is odd. It's one of those things you love or hate. There seems to be a correlation between whether you had it as a small child (in which case you tend to like it) or didn't try it until you were grown up (and you tend not to like it)!
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,876
I have a love affair with salt, so I bet I'd like it. Too bad DC can't buy us a jar and we could pass it around for a taste.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.