Any Marmite or Vegemite fanciers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
About 10 years ago we lived in an apartment complex, and our neighbors were a nice couple -- he was from Australia and she was from here. We had them over for dinner and a few times and vice versa.

"Hey mate", he asked, "ever try a Vegemite sandwich?" He said it's mentioned in a Men At Work song 'Down Under'.

His wife cringed. "It's vile stuff", she said.

I had heard of it but had never tried it. "Is it some sort of jam or spread?" I asked. He then pulled out a small jar of it and made a sandwich with a thin layer of it on both slices and a piece of cheese.

I liked it immediately. It's got a sort of salty, savory test to it. And I imagine if I were a vegetarian, I'd eat a lot of it because it is sort of that salty savory that you might miss as a vegetarian.

I take it to work in my lunchbox at least twice a week -- sandwich form with a cup of soup. Though, the local market only carries Marmite (the British version) and not Vegemite. But it's similar. I prefer Vegemite. I sometimes buy Vegemite off the internet. But it's a pretty inexpensive food item. A small jar lasts a long time and makes a lot of sandwiches. Good source of nutrients and a bit of protein, too.

2811870490_cce7283ecc_m.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I love my Vegemite...love it on hot buttered bread. I also make a Tomato Quiche that uses Vegemite...to die for!

I also tried it ( back in the 80's when the Men at Work song was released).
All i remember was that I hated it and it was real salty.

Now, fast forward 30 years, Im curious if my more ' mature and experienced' taste buds would feel the same way.

Maybe Ill pick some up, next time i see it, and give it a go.

Anything that has "mite" in its name reminds me of pesty, little insects.:angel:

When it is cold, raining, snowing, you are tired and the world hates you, put a level teaspoonful of Marmite into a mug, pour on hot water, stir......and let the world go away.
Or, if you are adventurous, spread a fine layer of marmite onbuttered toast, add sliced banana on top and put back under the grill to warm through. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. :yum:

I also tried it ( back in the 80's when the Men at Work song was released).
All i remember was that I hated it and it was real salty.

Now, fast forward 30 years, Im curious if my more ' mature and experienced' taste buds would feel the same way.

Maybe Ill pick some up, next time i see it, and give it a go.

Tried it a couple of times. Not a fan.

It's been several years, though, so I may have to give it another go.

The trick is to use a light smear, don't gob it on. The fat in butter works todraw out the flavor and you are not hit with a mouthful of salt. True instance of where less is more.

I need to try this stuff. I just listened to in interview with Kenji. He adds it to beef stews along with anchovies and soy sauce. Not a lot of any, mind you...He said they work synergisticly to bring out the flavor in the meat. They all add umami but together they work hand in hand.

About 10 years ago we lived in an apartment complex, and our neighbors were a nice couple -- he was from Australia and she was from here. We had them over for dinner and a few times and vice versa.

"Hey mate", he asked, "ever try a Vegemite sandwich?" He said it's mentioned in a Men At Work song 'Down Under'.

His wife cringed. "It's vile stuff", she said.

I had heard of it but had never tried it. "Is it some sort of jam or spread?" I asked. He then pulled out a small jar of it and made a sandwich with a thin layer of it on both slices and a piece of cheese.

I liked it immediately. It's got a sort of salty, savory test to it. And I imagine if I were a vegetarian, I'd eat a lot of it because it is sort of that salty savory that you might miss as a vegetarian.

I take it to work in my lunchbox at least twice a week -- sandwich form with a cup of soup. Though, the local market only carries Marmite (the British version) and not Vegemite. But it's similar. I prefer Vegemite. I sometimes buy Vegemite off the internet. But it's a pretty inexpensive food item. A small jar lasts a long time and makes a lot of sandwiches. Good source of nutrients and a bit of protein, too.

2811870490_cce7283ecc_m.jpg

Marmite is odd. It's one of those things you love or hate. There seems to be a correlation between whether you had it as a small child (in which case you tend to like it) or didn't try it until you were grown up (and you tend not to like it)!

I can eat anchovies out of the can. I don't know if I'd like Marmite slathered on bread or not. I can for sure see it being used as a something that enhances the flavor of stews or roasts. Kenji uses it combination with other umami containing things like tomatoes, soy sauce, and capers. I will look for it next time I'm at my local grocery store. If they don't have it I will order it on line. It doesn't cost much.

I have a love affair with salt, so I bet I'd like it. Too bad DC can't buy us a jar and we could pass it around for a taste.

Kayelle, that would be so much fun to do! Kind of like the Traveling Apron...until it all went south. :glare: I wasn't around during its hey-day, but I have seen the thread about it. At least with a traveling jar of Marmite it wouldn't have to be moved along once the jar was empty. :LOL: I'm also pretty sure I'd like to have my name far enough down the list so that the jar would be empty before it arrived.

Maybe declare an official "Marmite Day" here on DC? Anyone who wants to taste it would need to buy their own jar, but everyone could try it on the same day. Then, if you sampled, you could post a photo in the Marmite Day thread with your reaction on your first taste. ;) If you don't want to post a photo, give a review. Even though I'm pretty sure it would be way above my salty tolerance, I might give it a go knowing I could add it in small portions to things like stews and soups to up the "yum" factor...

I'll buy the Vegemite and start the ball rolling if we get enough takers. I already have a few addresses of folks...of course, if you don't like the stuff you might ban any future shipments from me and never trust me again. The stuff is truly an acquired taste.

Kayelle, I'll trade Vegemite for Meyer Lemons...:innocent:

Back
Top Bottom