Artichoke/cheese sammie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love the hot artichoke dips that many restaurants serve.So do both my girls and family.Today, the girls came for lunch and we took several jars of the marinated artichokes, chopped heck out of them, added a bunch of green onions both white and some of the green finely sliced. We mixed in mayo then added some freshly grated parmesan and some shredded monterey jack cheese. We piled this onto pre-toasted english muffins that we buttered, then ran them under the broiler til the cheese melted and got gooey and bubbly. They were really good like this. With them we just had some fruit salad. Made a nice lunch and one I'd make again.
kadesma:)

What a great combo! I'll be trying these - I love artichokes...

So glad you and the girls were able to get together for lunch! Is everyone feeling better?

callie said:
What a great combo! I'll be trying these - I love artichokes...

So glad you and the girls were able to get together for lunch! Is everyone feeling better?
I love artichokes too:LOL: It was fun today. I love it when they can get away and it's just the three of us for lunch. Yes, the kids are so much better, Carson still has a little cough and Olivias nose is still like a faucet, but they are up and about and busy, busy, busy:wacko: Dh is trying to learn all he missed when ours were little, but the kids have him out foxed..He was watching them wednesday for a few minutes while I made lunch and all of a sudden I hear him shout, and here he came with Livi, she had fallen and bumped her nose on a little play table and there was blood all over..She was fine, DH, was white faced, Ethan and Carson followed behind whith huge wide eyes..wheeee, watching all four of them at once sure keeps me busy:ROFLMAO:
Now, aren't ya glad ya asked? :-p
kadesma

Here's my version of something similar. I adapted it from what a local little bistro around here serves - I nearly always order it when I'm there.

Crab & Artichoke Crostini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light supper along with a green salad.

Thanks Breezy,
the crab sounds like a great addition. Will give it a try.

Candocook said:
Asiago is a great cheese to use in these style dips.
Will plan to have some one hand next time we make these. Asiago is a favorite..We were just using what was on hand yesteday, so had to go with the jack cheese...

Yes - & I've always, always, ALWAYS been soundly disappointed, so I stopped buying them & now always use canned.

The frozen ones were always tough & 9 times out of 10 had freezer burn. The problem is that artichokes aren't exactly considered "mainstream" vegetables, & so they sit & sit & sit in the freezer case way, way, way too long.

The canned varieties, when drained & rinsed, have always been sweet & tender, regardless of brand. I'll never bother with the frozen ones again.

Barbara said:
Has anyone tried frozen artichoke hearts instead of canned?
Barbara, where I live the frozen artichoke are gone in a flash. I've use them as a veggie like m-i-l use to..But for the snadwich I made yesterday I used those marinated kind in the jar...

kadesma

Barbara said:
What part of California are you in? I'm in Southern CA.
We are in Stanislaus county..Home of Gallo Wines;)

kadesma

BreezyCooking said:
Here's my version of something similar. I adapted it from what a local little bistro around here serves - I nearly always order it when I'm there.

Crab & Artichoke Crostini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light supper along with a green salad.

Oh, yum. I think this little number might be going to our Super Bowl get-together!

I bought some fresh artichokes last week. Little tiny, baby ones. Cooked them all on Friday and had a few left over yesterday. Artichokes, olive oil, a little mayonnaise, a little onion, tomato, purple lettuce and Brie cheese.
I'm still licking my lips - thanks for the great idea, Kadesma!

cliveb said:
I bought some fresh artichokes last week. Little tiny, baby ones. Cooked them all on Friday and had a few left over yesterday. Artichokes, olive oil, a little mayonnaise, a little onion, tomato, purple lettuce and Brie cheese.
I'm still licking my lips - thanks for the great idea, Kadesma!
Hi Clive,
Those baby artichoke are so good. I use them whenever I can get some, I'm almost tempted to plant some again. I'm glad you like the recipe idea. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Kadesma,
My husband and a friend did the Gallo tour years ago and found it fabulous. Who knew?? His family is affiliated with a wine family - Concannon's in Livermore. I lived in Woodland from 3rd grade until 10th grade and then moved away.

Back
Top Bottom