"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmm, this does look good. thanks ol-blue.

the pineapple rings look more like pickles to me, from the picture. either would work, imo.

mraughh, i was thinking of replacing the sweet-n-sour with sweet chilli sauce. you may be able to find maggi brand or mae ploy brand sweet chilli sauces. both are sold internationally.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Head Chef

Mraughh, sweet and sour sauce is basically vinegar and sugar. People often add other things, such as pineapple juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and such. Considering this is going to be tossed into a slow cooker would just choose the ingredients you want and toss them in the cooker. There are a lot of good recipes out there, just Google.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

buckytom, yeah I can get the maggi brands here, seem pretty popular, i have a bottle of chili sauce also I could try.

thanks aunt dot, I wasnt sure what the base ingredients are, I prefer making stuff from scratch and experimenting with flavors so that'll help alot. I'm guessing about a 50-50 ratio of vinegar to sugar for the base?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mraughh
thanks aunt dot, I wasnt sure what the base ingredients are, I prefer making stuff from scratch and experimenting with flavors so that'll help alot. I'm guessing about a 50-50 ratio of vinegar to sugar for the base?
It's been a while since I've made it, but a 50-50 ratio didn't seem right to me, so I googled it and got a ton of results. Try this one: Sweet and Sour Sauce

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Sous Chef

This is my favorite recipe for Sweet and Sour Sauce. Debbie

Sweet And Sour Sauce

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoon Ketchup
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thank you Debbie and Gotgarlic, I'm planning on making this tomorrow. :)
Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi,
I made these and they were really great. Everyone liked them a lot. If you dont have access to a crock-pot, this is how I did it to get the meat moist and tender, falling off the bone.

I took a regular bread baking pan, put the meat in it the day before and marinated it with a bottle of coca-cola and 1/2 a bottle of beer. Once done marinating, I added the required ingredients, but I cut in half all of the sugar based ones since the coke is sweet and soaked into the meat. then I sealed the bread pan with 2 layers of tin foil and baked it at 300 degrees for 7 hours.
Once done, I could take 2 forks and just shred the meat it was so tender. Made great sandwiches :)
Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I'm glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for sharing your method for making this without a slow cooker. Sounds yummy! Debbie