"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #51
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The place where she bought it has been on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives." It's a real drive-in with curb service and everything! And they invented the waffle cone for ice cream

Dou's on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives | Doumar's
I LOVE Triple D!

Imma have to take a road trip from the Virginia Piedmont here down to the sandy soil where you are and get me summa dat!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #52
Cook

So, I smoke my own butts and have my sauce down and rarely variate. I have it down to where when my wife goes to NC for family I tell her not to even bother bringing back Lexington BBQ anymore. Now, liver mush/puddin...yea, I haven't even tried, so a couple blocks, but BBQ? Not bragging, just speaking the truth. I rarely buy it and there are plenty of great smokers in Virginia.

I make a combination of a Carolina vinegar based sauce and mop sauce for my pulled pork, never a thick sauce. I toss the meat with it before food-savering and freezing as well as add more when re-heating.

My wife likes the Carolina red slaw...I like pretty much all slaw...just don't put flipping fruit in it!

Although my wife likes a sandwich with slaw, we skip the bread usually. my BBQ is...well, I just eat BBQ on a plate nowadays with anything else on the side. It's almost a shame to put excellent BBQ in a sandwich. So/so BBQ needs the sandwich, slaw, nachos, something to bring more to the plate.

The BBQ referenced in this thread I believe is vegetarian. That is on an entirely different ethereal plane, I simply cant relate. No hating here...I just cannot get my head around that one and one of my customers is a high end organic tofu maker that makes the wanna-be meat variations...I've tried them all. Seitan is another one I just cant relate to. I suppose this mock meat stuff makes some people feel better and that's cool. But, I totally get why this wants to be a sandwich!

If I am to make a hot juicy sandwich, whether BBQ or a burger; these days I am hooked on the sandwich sized ciabatta...onion ciabatta. A rugged flavorful bread with nooks and crannies like an English muffin to capture the rapturous goodness of all things wet, drippy, decadent and unctuous.

OK, I'm stopping there, my wife is out of town and...well...

Old 08-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kenny View Post
So, I smoke my own butts and have my sauce down and rarely variate. I have it down to where when my wife goes to NC for family I tell her not to even bother bringing back Lexington BBQ anymore. Now, liver mush/puddin...yea, I haven't even tried, so a couple blocks, but BBQ? Not bragging, just speaking the truth. I rarely buy it and there are plenty of great smokers in Virginia.

I make a combination of a Carolina vinegar based sauce and mop sauce for my pulled pork, never a thick sauce. I toss the meat with it before food-savering and freezing as well as add more when re-heating.

My wife likes the Carolina red slaw...I like pretty much all slaw...just don't put flipping fruit in it!

Although my wife likes a sandwich with slaw, we skip the bread usually. my BBQ is...well, I just eat BBQ on a plate nowadays with anything else on the side. It's almost a shame to put excellent BBQ in a sandwich. So/so BBQ needs the sandwich, slaw, nachos, something to bring more to the plate.

The BBQ referenced in this thread I believe is vegetarian. That is on an entirely different ethereal plane, I simply cant relate. No hating here...I just cannot get my head around that one and one of my customers is a high end organic tofu maker that makes the wanna-be meat variations...I've tried them all. Seitan is another one I just cant relate to. I suppose this mock meat stuff makes some people feel better and that's cool. But, I totally get why this wants to be a sandwich!

If I am to make a hot juicy sandwich, whether BBQ or a burger; these days I am hooked on the sandwich sized ciabatta...onion ciabatta. A rugged flavorful bread with nooks and crannies like an English muffin to capture the rapturous goodness of all things wet, drippy, decadent and unctuous.

OK, I'm stopping there, my wife is out of town and...well...
Hi, Chef Kenny. Larry made it clear when he started this thread that he was looking for suggestions of what bread to use for a cole slaw and meat substitute sandwich, and it did kind of turn into a pulled pork thread.

You're correct that the original thread is vegetarian related. I'm not sure that he was looking for personal opinions on his choices and whether or not any of us can 'relate' to them. Just sayin....

Also, I'm sure Virginia has some great smokers, but so do many other states. Not everyone believes that even the tastiest of smoked pulled pork belongs strictly on a plate, and not as leftovers in a sandwich.

Tags
bread, pork, sandwich