Can anyone tell me how to make a really yummy club sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually take the middle piece of bread out of my club sandwich. I could ask for it with only 2 slices of bread, but then I'm afraid they will leave out one of the layers of the good stuff inside.

If I had a nickle for every club sandwich I ever made.......

I've always known it as turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo. You want cheese, you pay extra....I like sliced raw onion on mine....that, and some greasy fries with ketchup, a beer with tomato juice in it. The perfect hangover lunch.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the messages. They really have opened my eyes as to what a club sandwich can be. We do get mayo in Italy, but in any event I always make my own, it only takes minutes. Sandwiches do exist in Italy but they are certainly not a major part of the Italian diet, and bought sandwiches don't look appetising at all. We need someone from the States to come and open a sandwich bar!!

Many thanks again

Di reston

I think the major difference is that Europeans seldom, if ever, use it as a spread for a sandwich, garnish yes.
I (and most of the people I know) spread mayo in place of butter on the bread for many types of sandwiches.

Also:-
-Mayo with salad (as a garnish)
-Mayo for potato, coleslaw and other mixed veg salads
-Mayo curry and apricot jam with chicken for Coronation chicken (or for a chicken sandwich)
-I've seen recipes for cakes made with mayo but I draw the line at that
-With chips
-with fish
-On burgers
and lots of other things I expect.

Mayo isn't American.

I always thought it was French, but I looked it up and according to Mayonnaise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it was invented in Spain and popularized in France.

Europeans use a lot of mayo. They use it as a garnish and as a dip for French fries, among other things.

If I recall, mayonnaise is one of the classic mother sauces, though many will argue that the emulsion mother sauce is Holladaise Sauce. Both are made the same way. Aiolli is similar to mayonnaise but is made with freshly minced garlic and extra virgin olive oil to replace the neutral oil in mayonnaise. Hollindaise is of course made with clarified butter. All were part of Escofier's Sauces. I would imagine that he obtained the originals from Italy and Spain as well as from provincial France.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If I recall, mayonnaise is one of the classic mother sauces, though many will argue that the emulsion mother sauce is Holladaise Sauce. Both are made the same way. Aiolli is similar to mayonnaise but is made with freshly minced garlic and extra virgin olive oil to replace the neutral oil in mayonnaise. Hollindaise is of course made with clarified butter. All were part of Escofier's Sauces. I would imagine that he obtained the originals from Italy and Spain as well as from provincial France.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I remember the mother sauces the same way, Chief :)

I (and most of the people I know) spread mayo in place of butter on the bread for many types of sandwiches.

Also:-
-Mayo with salad (as a garnish)
-Mayo for potato, coleslaw and other mixed veg salads
-Mayo curry and apricot jam with chicken for Coronation chicken (or for a chicken sandwich)
-I've seen recipes for cakes made with mayo but I draw the line at that
-With chips
-with fish
-On burgers
and lots of other things I expect.

If you've never made a chocolate-Mayonaise cake, you are missing out on a spectacular cake. It's rich, moist, and chocolatey, with a hint of walnut flavor from the baking soda. You really have to try it. Ok, back to the original topic.

Club sandwich, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, so I'm going away now.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Seafood, "Po Boy Club". Start the layering with a piece of toasted white bread, spread with remoulade, top with lettuce, tomato and a pan fried soft-shell blue crab. Next spread remoulade on another piece of toast and place on top of soft-shell crab, Spread remoulade on the other side of the toast. Place fried oysters on top, spread remoulade on last piece of toast and place on top of the oysters. Cut sandwich in club fashion and provide hot sauce on the side. Lots of napkins should be available.:yum:

Seafood, "Po Boy Club". Start the layering with a piece of toasted white bread, spread with remoulade, top with lettuce, tomato and a pan fried soft-shell blue crab. Next spread remoulade on another piece of toast and place on top of soft-shell crab, Spread remoulade on the other side of the toast. Place fried oysters on top, spread remoulade on last piece of toast and place on top of the oysters. Cut sandwich in club fashion and provide hot sauce on the side. Lots of napkins should be available.:yum:
Is that a standard European style remoulade or a Louisiana style remoulade or something else?

Louisiana of course, "Po Boy" should have given it away.:)
I don't think most people are familiar with Louisiana remoulade. I, for one, had never heard of it until you mentioned it or showed a picture of a red remoulade and I Googled.

Back
Top Bottom