Caprese Panini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love a caprese salad,but until my tomatoes are ready and I have to use roma's well..I have to wait..But, I made some foccacia, took some basil leaves,pine nuts, parmesan,salt and pepper, some mozzarella and thin sliced romas,and proceded to make a sammie:LOL: I put evoo,pine nuts,basil,garlic in the f/p and made a paste, add some parmesan, add salt and pepper. Cut your foccacia in half and smear with the paste, then cover with mozz, add thin sliced tomato and top that with more mozz put on the top of the foccacia and plop on the panini press.. Heat til golden and cheese is melted..Grab your's and run:LOL:
enjoy
kadesma

Great idea Andy..will give it a go on Sunday..Thanks
kades

Oh kades, that sounds SO wonderful. I wish you'd taken a picture. Then again, maybe it's best you didn't, or alot of us would be drooling on our keyboards and shorting out our computers....

Oh kades, that sounds SO wonderful. I wish you'd taken a picture. Then again, maybe it's best you didn't, or alot of us would be drooling on our keyboards and shorting out our computers....
It was nice and I know when my tomatoes are ripe this will be made often..I've know idea how to put a picture on here, my youngest daughter does, so I'll have her take a pic the next time we make these..Just put on a bib and we should be safe:LOL:
kades

You're talkin my language!!! Was thinkin about a focaccia burger just a little while ago...Fresh mators, mozzarella, and lots of fresh basil....Oh my!!

You're talkin my language!!! Was thinkin about a focaccia burger just a little while ago...Fresh mators, mozzarella, and lots of fresh basil....Oh my!!

a foccacia burger, yummers...That would work:LOL:
kades

cj - I was going to tell you that I add prosciutto to mine but Andy beat me to it! :LOL: I have also added baby romaine or other baby greens to this panino along with some roasted red peppers, if I have them.

Basically, on Day 1 I make a salad of baby greens, prosciutto, kalamata olives, water-packed mozzarella, tomatoes, and dress with a homemade basil oil (oil, basil, garlic, kosher salt). On Day 2 I make panini. I'm going to have to try your spread. I can taste this and it's making me crazy!!!!!!

I was in Rome last summer. Tried to hook up with Urmaniac but unfortunately she went on vacation the week I was there. One time I was on the run and bought a simple sandwich from a stall. Between the two slices of bread was nothing but fresh mozz, evoo, thick tomato slices, and a thin spread of mayo. It didn't look like much but OMG. Who knew such few simple ingredients could produce such a heavenly and unforgettable experience?!

I've made the same sandwich a few times already since returning home, always to startled gustatory delight by first-time tasters. Lesson I learned is, take it from the Italians -- a few simple excellent-quality ingredients is all you need for a fantastic sammie! :)

cj - I was going to tell you that I add prosciutto to mine but Andy beat me to it! :LOL: I have also added baby romaine or other baby greens to this panino along with some roasted red peppers, if I have them.

Basically, on Day 1 I make a salad of baby greens, prosciutto, kalamata olives, water-packed mozzarella, tomatoes, and dress with a homemade basil oil (oil, basil, garlic, kosher salt). On Day 2 I make panini. I'm going to have to try your spread. I can taste this and it's making me crazy!!!!!!
Elf, as soon as my tomatoes are ready I will do your salad..I love everything that is in it,I'd thought about adding some Coppa or some crisp Pancetta, but a growling tummy prevailed. Glad you like this sammie..The spread is almost like or is a pesto and with the f/p a snap.
cj

I was in Rome last summer. Tried to hook up with Urmaniac but unfortunately she went on vacation the week I was there. One time I was on the run and bought a simple sandwich from a stall. Between the two slices of bread was nothing but fresh mozz, evoo, thick tomato slices, and a thin spread of mayo. It didn't look like much but OMG. Who knew such few simple ingredients could produce such a heavenly and unforgettable experience?!

I've made the same sandwich a few times already since returning home, always to startled gustatory delight by first-time tasters. Lesson I learned is, take it from the Italians -- a few simple excellent-quality ingredients is all you need for a fantastic sammie! :)
Hi Chopstix,
nice to see you here.
I agree, fancy and loaded with things doesn't always mean wonderful..I find the simple things that our neighbors and my grandparents made were so flavorful and good, not much could beat them...I'm use to basil and tomatoes,garlic, onions lettuce and such all from grams garden..Fresh, just picked flavor beats a jar pretty much all the time.Not that it's bad to use jared foods. Sometimes we have to..I suppose love of your family and friends puts part of the yummy taste in what we fix:)

kadesma

Hi Kadesma, try the same sandwich only with feta cheese. Maybe add a few bits of chopped black olives as well.

Hi Kadesma, try the same sandwich only with feta cheese. Maybe add a few bits of chopped black olives as well.
Hi Snoop Puss:) Thanks for a great idea. I just love when I put up a recipe and others add ideas for it..I come away with some wonderful foods.My whole family loves many of the ideas I've gotten here on DC.
kadesma

Feta cheese is good in sandwiches and you don't need a huge amount because it's such a powerful flavour - great if you're trying to keep calorie consumption down.

Back
Top Bottom