Club Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
I once had a book of snacks and sandwiches, and there was a recipe for a Club sandwich. It said:

3 slices of sandwich bread
bacon
tomato
chicken
lettuce

Butter the bread on the bacon side, put the second slice of bread on top, put mayo on that, then put the chicken and lettuce in that, and 'close' the sandwich with another slice of bread with mayo on it. Is this right? It does taste good, but is this a classic Club Sandwich?

I would love to know!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I once had a book of snacks and sandwiches, and there was a recipe for a Club sandwich. It said:

3 slices of sandwich bread
bacon
tomato
chicken
lettuce

Butter the bread on the bacon side, put the second slice of bread on top, put mayo on that, then put the chicken and lettuce in that, and 'close' the sandwich with another slice of bread with mayo on it. Is this right? It does taste good, but is this a classic Club Sandwich?

I would love to know!

That's pretty much it, although usually the bread is toasted and only mayonnaise is used - no butter.

You forgot the tomato ;) It's usually with the bacon. Sometimes a slice of cheese is included.

I remember making club sandwiches in the cafeteria at the University I attended. I worked the supper shift and after the rush was over, I trayed 3 large boxes of bacon and cooked it in the ovens. When done, we laid it out on clean trays in groups of four slices and refrigerated them. We also sliced the tomatoes and portioned out the other meat and lettuce so it was all ready to go. The morning shift would take it all out of the coolers before the lunch rush. Someone else would be making a ton of toast and covering it with mayo (no butter). Then the assembly line would start. All layers were ready to go and two people would be making sandwiches nonstop for an hour!

This is how we made ours:
Layer 1 slice toast, mayonnaise-side up, 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice cheese, 2 ounces ham, 2 slices tomato, 1 slice toast, mayonnaise-side down. Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on toast. Top each sandwich with 1 slice cheese, 2 ounces turkey, 2 slices bacon, 1 lettuce leaf and 1 slice toast, mayonnaise-side down.

Not here, Janet. We've always had club sandwiches with some variation of white bread, occasionally with wheat.

I once had a book of snacks and sandwiches, and there was a recipe for a Club sandwich...
di, I remember seeing that description on menus, sometimes with chicken, sometimes turkey. However, within our household while I was growing up and even now, "club sandwich" is used more generically. It refers to three slices of toasted bread. The selection of meat(s), cheese(s), veggies and spreads might change, but it's always three slices of toast.

You're all probably going to find this weird, but I put the lettuce on top of the bread first, then put the mayo on top of the lettuce. It's a bit slower than spreading the mayo on the bread, but I get a more separation of flavor. It seems to me that mayo spread on pourous bread just soaks it into the bread, which I'm not sure I like. Also, I'm trying to get myself to buy Romaine lettuce more often instead of using iceberg lettuce. Thin slices of turkey or chicken go well too, maybe even some alfalfa been spouts. Also, my BLT's come out better if I put my sandwich all together un-toasted, then broil/toast just the outsides of the bread in a toaster oven. So far as bacon goes, I try and take it out before it gets all crunchy.

Last edited:
Mmm. Now I want a club sandwich with frilly toothpicks.

Very thinly sliced ham, crispy bacon, turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayo, no butter. Separate layers of meat. Toasted white bread. Cut into triangles. Each triangle with a frilly toothpick.

Very thinly sliced ham, crispy bacon, turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayo, no butter. Separate layers of meat. Toasted white bread. Cut into triangles. Each triangle with a frilly toothpick.

Exactly - and just as you described...has to be in triangles. And I was just going to say that about the frilly toothpicks! :LOL:

I love club sandwiches....but by the time I'm halfway through, I'm getting so full that I remove the slice of bread in the middle and hope I can get through the rest of it. ;):yum:

Last edited:

I so enjoy a good restaurant made BLT. They put a couple of strawberries on the plate.

:LOL: In my younger days I had no problem eating the whole club sammie, now I have to save a couple triangles for later!

Mmm. BLTs in triangles, with frilly toothpicks! Never have gotten them with strawberries, yum!

Hm. Hoping Di can get frilly toothpicks in Italy.

Last edited:
You're all probably going to find this weird, but I put the lettuce on top of the bread first, then put the mayo on top of the lettuce. It's a bit slower than spreading the mayo on the bread, but I get a more separation of flavor. It seems to me that mayo spread on pourous bread just soaks it into the bread, which I'm not sure I like. Also, I'm trying to get myself to buy Romaine lettuce more often instead of using iceberg lettuce. Thin slices of turkey or chicken go well too, maybe even some alfalfa been spouts. Also, my BLT's come out better if I put my sandwich all together un-toasted, then broil/toast just the outsides of the bread in a toaster oven. So far as bacon goes, I try and take it out before it gets all crunchy.

Mmm, I love BLT's too, Caslon...but to me the enjoyment of BLT's and Clubs are the different temps all in one bite. :yum: I couldn't get that toasting the whole sammie at once. I love the coolness of the 'maters and lettuce in contrast with the warm bacon and crunchy toast. Usually by the time I'm halfway through eating it everything is the same temp, but it sure starts out good. :)

Last edited:
If I had a nickle for every club sandwich I ever made.....

I've always kept it simple for customers and staff to understand. A turkey sandwich on top of a BLT. Lettuce and mayo on both sides to add color. Serve open and up for presentation. Stopped using those frilly toothpicks years ago. That cellophane gets everywhere, even on other peoples food...

When I was a younger man it was the classic, Sunday, hangover restaurant choice., with fries...maybe even with a beer and tomato juice for some hair of the dog...

I always thought of a club sandwich as a double decker blt on toast with smoked turkey added. Cut the bread into four triangles and secure with toothpicks. Usually served with plain salted potato chips.
If I remember right, during the 1990's there was a trend to put these on sandwich rolls or focaccia, but traditionally it was always white bread toast.

If I had a nickle for every club sandwich I ever made.....

I've always kept it simple for customers and staff to understand. A turkey sandwich on top of a BLT. Lettuce and mayo on both sides to add color. Serve open and up for presentation. Stopped using those frilly toothpicks years ago. That cellophane gets everywhere, even on other peoples food...

When I was a younger man it was the classic, Sunday, hangover restaurant choice., with fries...maybe even with a beer and tomato juice for some hair of the dog...
I forgot to add that, I do use toothpicks. Just not the frilly ones..I use the food service club pics. Just bigger versions of classic, flat toothpicks.
images

Back
Top Bottom