Favorite Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jpmcgrew said:
:) I like all kinds of sandwiches depending on my mood.But you can beat a good ruben.

Been watin on this one!! The ruben came in a close close second to my Ham.
Ham only won out for sentimental reasons.

I cannot believe it. You leave it to a Brit to say pbj? I am not mad on sandwhiches, but they are practical, but pbj is something I like. I wish I could get grape jelly more easily. I also like pb, banana and honey.

I'm another one who has a number of favorite sandwiches depending on my mood, the weather, etc., etc. But here are my top ones:

Cold Italian sub (different salamis, cappacole ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, hot pickled peppers, onions, lettuce, olives, you name it. And OIL & VINEGAR only - NO MAYO. Mayo on an Italian sub is pure blasphemy.)

Hot Eggplant Parmegian, Chicken Parmegian, or Sausage & Peppers sub (self-explanatory)

Bacon, Lettuce, & Tomato - but only when tomatoes are in season & fresh from the garden, & only on white-bread toast.

Sardines & Red Onion with lettuce on a hard crusty roll.

Limburger Cheese & Sweet Onion (like Vidalia) on plain white bread.
(the above 2 are my mom's favorites as well)

Any type of cooked fish filet with mayo or tartar sauce on a roll.

Lobster or shrimp salad on a soft or hot dog roll.

Pulled barbecue pork, chicken, or turkey topped with cole slaw on a soft roll.

A good grilled Reuben (corned beef, sauerkraut, melted swiss cheese, & Thousand Island dressing on good seeded rye bread.) I'll be enjoying several of these right after St. Pat's Day - lol!!!

Those are the ones that come immediately to mind, but I know there are many others that I get a craving for.

Brisket on rye with mustard, side o' potato salad and a dill pickle. Next would be a reuben, corned beef, saurkraut & russian or thousand island dressing. Okay, third (can't have just one) - chopped liver with mayo on the white bread & red sliced onions - potato or cold mac salad, dill pickles.

I have lots of faves...BLT with homegrown tomatoes, hot dog on bun with mustard and picallili, cheeseburger grilled outdoors, with mustard, relish & garden fresh tomato, BUT...
My most favorite in the whole world is a grouper sandwich on white bread with a little catsup.

My #1 all time favorite is a pita bread, and in the pocket it has provolone cheese, alphalfa sprouts, tomato in season, artichoke hearts and tarragone mayo.

This is sooooo good! :pig:

I need to add to my other choice...

All the talk of BLT's I have my fave version too. Thick cut applewood smoked bacon, Boston Bibb lettuce, homegrown or hierloom tomato, fresh sliced avocado, and a little cilantro mayo.

Been one of my better lunch menu items for a while now along with the forementioned turkey, apple, and brie one...

Back when we lived in Oregon, the local pub made me my own sandwich - the "Joanna" ... a rueben with thick cut tomatoes in place of the corned beef. I haven't found a place here yet that will make it for me ...

My second favorite is just plain old sharp cheddar on white bread with real mayo. I knew my hubby was the man for me when he said that was favorite "at home" sandwich!

oh, but for a slice of bread to make a sammich...:(

i am never giving up bread for lent ever again. i was very hungry the other night, and stopped off at wendy's for a classic triple - extra onions and pickles. as i was about to sink my teeth into it, dw reminded me that the bun was bread. :mad:
it wasn't quite the same thing eating it with a knife and fork, sans bun.

ok, for sandwiches, i too could not pick just one.

but here's my list: (not in any order of preference)

sausage and peppers parm, extra sauce, on a hollowed out portugese roll.

pastrami reuben, or a corned beef reuben if they're out of pastrami.

balboa - hot roast beast on toasted, buttered garlic bread with raw onions and melted american cheese.

giacomo - roast beast, simmered in brown gravy and fried onions, on toasted semolina bread with melted provolone.

my mom's "brooklyn special" ham sandwich - boiled polish ham on white bread with lettuce, mayo, dill pickles, and doritos. yes, the doritos go on the sandwich.

rotten stinkin' tuna fish - tuna salad with raw onions, tomatoes, and hot peppers on a sesame hard roll or garlic bagel.

the best liver wurst - liverwurst on rye with raw onions and lots of spicy mustard.

chatanooga chicken, aka texas bbq chicken - grilled chicken breast on a hard roll with a grilled ham steak, butter sauteed mushrooms and onions, smothered in bbq sauce.

magherita - prosciutto, roasted red peppers, bufala mozzarella, lots of fresh basil, olive oil, red wine vinegar on an italian hero.

italian classic - prosciutto, salami, capicolla, provolone, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, onion, oregano, garlic powder, olive oil, and red wine vinegar on an italian hero.

standard blt - hellman's mayo, thick bacon that's not overcooked, fresh tomatoes and romaine from the garden on white bread.

i could go on, but my stomach is complaining very loudly...

Last edited:
Ham cappicola/provolone/fried peppers and mustard hero, one of many favs which include corned beef on rye with mustard (todays project), a Papaya King hot dog on a bun with mustard and onions (yesterdays lunch), Cuban sandwiches wit lots of mojito and mayo, etc.......:ohmy:

JoAnn L. said:
My second favorite sandwich is Miracle Whip between three layers of bread. My Lord, I don't know how I came up with that one. I have done that ever since I was a kid.:-p

I thought I was the only one who did that!! I haven't done that in ages!! I did that when nothing else sounded good....a lot of times just for a snack.

Heres a few I really like

Spicy mince, with tomatoes (or sometimes instead of tomatoes I like to go for passata) and grated cheese, an alltime favourite!

Spicy chicken, with jalapenos, sweetcorn

Tuna mayo, with spring onions and lettuce

lulu said:
I cannot believe it. You leave it to a Brit to say pbj? I am not mad on sandwhiches, but they are practical, but pbj is something I like. I wish I could get grape jelly more easily. I also like pb, banana and honey.

Miss lulu...

Why do you have a problem finding grape jelly?

Back
Top Bottom