Favorite Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I posted an answer on this but somehow I must have messed up!

I love these panninis with smoked turkey, feta cheese and tomatoes.....Mmmmm:-p

A Reuben Sandwich. Living in Osaka, I can't always get the ingredients, but I hunt and I finally obtain them. It's the taste sensations of saurkraut, cheese, and pastrami that has always appealed to me.

Now, now - an authentic Reuben is & always has been made with corned beef, not pastrami. ;) In fact, when St. Patrick's Day rolls around, one of the main reasons I cook a corned beef is for the leftovers in order to have terrific Reubens. While shopping for my corned beef, I pick up my Reuben fixings (good seeded Rye bread, Thousand Island Dressing, sauerkraut, good mustard, Swiss cheese) at the same time so that I'll be all set for the following day.

However, there are a few blasphemous variations around that use smoked turkey &, I suppose, "other" meats. . . :-p

Now, now - an authentic Reuben is & always has been made with corned beef, not pastrami. ;) In fact, when St. Patrick's Day rolls around, one of the main reasons I cook a corned beef is for the leftovers in order to have terrific Reubens. While shopping for my corned beef, I pick up my Reuben fixings (good seeded Rye bread, Thousand Island Dressing, sauerkraut, good mustard, Swiss cheese) at the same time so that I'll be all set for the following day.

However, there are a few blasphemous variations around that use smoked turkey &, I suppose, "other" meats. . . :-p

I totally agree, but try getting corned beef here. I've gotten quite used to pastrami instead.

I was just kidding you Kevin. Actually, I've made Reubens with both Pastrami & Smoked turkey, & they're both quite good. And when push comes to shove, pastrami & corned beef are pretty darn similar except for pastrami being a bit spicier due to its outer peppery coating.

Now, now - an authentic Reuben is & always has been made with corned beef, not pastrami. ;)

aww breezy, you disappoint me. ;)

you should know that the origin of the reuben is disputed, and even the type(s) of meat used has several different stories behind them. there may be an authentic version with a specific meat, but it's all subject for debate.

it was either invented in nyc, by a deli owner named arnold reuben. or it might have been invented by reuben kulakofsky, of omaha nebraska. and then it gets complicated from there.

there are various stories, interviews, and reports from both origins; granted, the most common uses corned beef. but then there's pastrami, virginia ham, smoked turkey, or even roast beef.
even the type of rye bread is up for debate. regular or dark rye? seeded or not? getting deeper into it, there's debate about if it should be sauerkraut, or cole slaw.

largely, there's the followers of the idea, such as yourself, that a reuben sandwich is stricly corned beef, thousand island, sauerkraut, and swiss on regular rye. in contrast, a "reuben's special" is any of the aforementioned breads, meats, or toppings, assembled the same way as the sandwich.

i've heard that when using pastrami or smoked turkey, you're really having a rachel, not a reuben.

and on it goes.

(btw, you all might have guessed that i love reubens. or rachels. or reuben specials... sheesh :wacko:)

:chef:

Reubens are awsome.

A simple quickie: Sliced leftover strip steak on white country bread with salt, fresh pepper and mayo.

Had this in NH, another fav: roast beef and swiss panini with pepperoncini, field greens and a roasted garlic spread on a ciabatta.

Ohhhh....either a cuban or a thinly grilled hamburger topped with grilled portabello mushrooms & onions and topped with swiss cheese.

Unfort., the only resturant around here that served amazing cubans closed.

sorry to hear that, Sizzlin, my all time favorite is a Reuben or Rachel or Rhonda or whatever just as long as it has some smoked meat (no, BT or GotGarlic--- not lucky dog, yak, or horsemeat:)) horseradish sauce, sauerkraut, onions, hot mustard, on whole wheat or rye......and with fresh crisps or potato chips and a big, doggone dill pickle on the side..........that's heaven for me...............:)

Back
Top Bottom