"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Classic Tyrosalata & Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Buon Giorno,

I am veered towards the Mediterranean and here are three totally distinct takes on grilled or oven baked cheese sandwiches ...

1) Tyrosalata

225 grams of Feta cheese ( half pound )
Evoo ( Italian or Greek or Spanish ) - 3 tblsps.
long green Italian pepper seeded and chopped - 1 medium
1 dried chili pepper called Pepperoncini or a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon juiced
2 tsps. dried Greek or Italian Oregano

Purée the pepper, feta cheese, oregano and black pepper in blender or food processor and extremely slowly add the Evoo and season to taste with a light drizzle of lemon juice.

Serve either room temperature or spread on sliced bread of choice, and place under broiler ...

ITALIAN GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES ...

My favorite is Caprese; bufala di mozzarella, fresh basil and Evoo and a slice of Proscuitto di Parma ... I use Italian Baguette or French Style Baguette when in Madrid with Evoo.

My 2nd is: Herbed Spiced Provolone, proscuitto di parma and tomato on Italian Baguette or French Style ... I use Evoo in the skillet to grill it.

*** For your information: in February or January 2012, there is a very extensive thread on GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES ...

Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano

Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Fruit jelly of any type, been doing it for years.

There's this thing it's the best grilled cheese sandwich. It contains the following: White or Sharp cheddar, parmesan, Muenster, a slice of tomato, and mozzarella sticks. Few grinds of pepper and a small sprinkle of garlic powder and salt. The bread gets a light coating of butter or oil (spray works best) and on the oiled surface a very light, even coating of parmesan for both sides so that it sticks.

Cook parmesan side out in a cast iron skillet or nonstick surface works best for the cheese. Don't try and flip it too soon or the parmesan crust will separate from the bread. It browns a little faster than bread would, so I like to cover the pan with a lid to retain the heat and melt the inside cheese more quickly.

Serve with homemade marinara. Optionally, an overeasy egg added to the mix sends it over the top. Trust me I've been there. It's heaven. It's tricky to get it into the grilled cheese though. Gotta toast the sandwich halves separately and use the broiler on the inside cheese to melt (but not brown) it without the mozz sticks. Then carefully add the mozz sticks and the egg and put it together gently to serve. If that makes any sense...

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese. I mean that's four cheeses and a parmesan crust, there's no other adjective.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Just Swiss, cheddar, or American cheese topped with thinly sliced onion on one slice of white bread and baked in toaster oven; or ham and cheese between two slices of bread and fried in butter on a griddle.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Master Chef

I'm happy with a few thin slices of tomatoe and bell peppers inside, seasoned of course, on a multi grain bread.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Fruit jelly of any type, been doing it for years.

There's this thing it's the best grilled cheese sandwich. It contains the following: White or Sharp cheddar, parmesan, Muenster, a slice of tomato,...
White or sharp cheddar?

Your "white" cheddar can't be sharp? Your sharp cheddar always has food colouring?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sourdough, brie, green apple. One of my faves.

Also, any grilled cheese where you can let the cheese spill out, and have the lace get nice and crispy around the edges is a nice bonus.

Even just a nice Country White, with Cheddar, ripe tomato, and bacon makes a good snack. Simple, and straight forward.

I like to use the garlic and herb Boursin too, such a nice flavor in a hot sammich/paninni/grilled cheese.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I never thought of using Boursin in grilled cheese. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I like a combo of extra-sharp Cheddar and Havarti cheeses.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Also, left over mac n cheese as a filling works wonders, and kids love it.

Oh, and I mom would kill me if I left out a fave she use to make me, Sourdough, or a Country White with pimento cheese, crab, and crumbled bacon.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches...use whatever cheese you like. Place one sandwich on a plate, spread a little mayo on it, add some lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, three or four or more slices of bacon, top with the other grilled cheese sandwich. Get a couple of napkins, lock the door, take the phone of the hook, and enjoy!

Tags
cheese