Favorite way to jazz up grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AAAAHHHH, GRILLED CHEEEEEEZE!

Avo
Bacon
Roasted japs
Tomato
Basil

At work, where I have access to a salimander, I usually butter up the bread with one piece of American che on each. Then place cheddar on top of each piece and put them in the sali on med heat untill the cheddar starts to bubble and slightly brown. Take it out, add your goodies and munch. I like using baked swiss, too. :)

Make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches...use whatever cheese you like. Place one sandwich on a plate, spread a little mayo on it, add some lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, three or four or more slices of bacon, top with the other grilled cheese sandwich. Get a couple of napkins, lock the door, take the phone of the hook, and enjoy!
On the weekend I went to a new hamburger place that also serves hamburgers using grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun. :ohmy:

We didn't try that.

A simple grilled cheese sandwich along side a steaming bowl of cream of tomato soup on a cold and rainy Friday night is the ultimate comfort food. Why would you want to mess with perfection?

Good point! However, I reckon perfection is mighty subjective.

+1

I love plain grilled cheese - with soup (mushroom as tomato doesn't agree with me) or fries and gravy!

But adding a couple slices of crispy bacon or some pepperoni really changes it up nicely! When I do this I put cheese on top and bottom so everything sticks together nicely!:)

Plain and simple is my first choice also, American cheese on white bread and a mug of tomato soup made with milk, not water.

I also enjoy

Old cheddar with strawberry jam

Cheddar with ham bacon or sliced hotdogs

The last of a batch of pimento cheese all hot and bubbly on some good quality day old bread.

Who am I kidding I enjoy them all! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I remember going to a friend's house - I was friends with the kids and my Mom and theirs were good friends as well. Their Mom made grilled cheese sandwiches and soup and those sandwiches were the best I ever tasted (I was only about 9). I said this out loud in front of my own Mom of course. :wacko:

Anyways, my Mom got the secret to these extraordinary sammies - garlic powder sprinkled on the cheese. Yep, that's it! :rolleyes:

For the most part, I like it plain - grilled cheese & tomato sandwich.

Posted some new takes somewhere here:

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

Strawberries, brie, & fresh basil, in a flour tortilla - buttered on the outside & grilled or on the stovetop.

Gruyere, sliced green apples, and walnuts in a flour tortilla - prepped same as above.

Grilled cheese (croutons) sandwiches cut in small squares, in a bowl of tomato soup.

Mozzarella en carroza.

Croque Monsieur or Croque Madame.

White or sharp cheddar?

Your "white" cheddar can't be sharp? Your sharp cheddar always has food colouring?

No. As long white and sharp cheddar are sold under different names I'll make the distinction.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. As long white and sharp cheddar are sold under different names I'll make the distinction.
Regional differences. What is white cheddar then?

Here white cheddar means that it hasn't been dyed "yellow" (orange to my eye).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shown this one before. I call this one French Onion Grilled Cheese. Onion jam that was reduced with beef broth, garlic, sherry, thyme, grilled with mozzerella.
attachment.php

A quick answer as to why Cheddar is dyed orange:

It's orange because they dye it orange. You knew this, of course. The question is, Why orange as opposed to, say, a nice taupe? As near as cheese historians can make out, the practice originated many years ago in England. Milk contains varying amounts of beta-carotene, the yellow-orange stuff found in carrots and other vegetables. Milk from pasture-fed cows has higher beta-carotene levels in the spring and summer, when the cows are munching on fresh grass, and lower levels during the fall and winter, when they're eating hay. Thus the natural color of the cheese varies over the course of a year. So cheese makers began adding coloring agents. Nowadays the most common of these is annatto, a yellow-red dye made from the seeds of a tree of the same name. Dyeing the cheese eliminated seasonal color fluctuations and also played to the fact (or anyway the belief) that spring/summer milk had a higher butterfat content than the fall/winter kind and thus produced more flavorful cheese. Figuring if yellow = good, orange = better, some cheese makers began ladling in the annatto in double handfuls, producing cheese that looked like something you'd want to carve into a jack-o'-lantern. In recent years some smaller operations have rebelled and stopped using colorants. Be forewarned--according to one cheese making text, uncolored cheese is a "sordid, unappetizing melange of dirty yellow." But at least it's real.

NATURAL Cheddar is white, offwhite.

Tomatoes, to-mah-toes.

SHARPNESS comes from age.

We have ham and tomato with american cheese (wallet cheese, as Frank calls it) on honey wheat bread.

I like fried spam with colby cheese on bakery Italian. But, that's just me.

There are far too many delicious sandwiches that I now need to try! My mouth is watering over here! I'm making grilled cheese for dinner now!

Rocklobster, your onion and mozarrella grilled cheese looks so good. :yum: So many amazing sounding variations of grilled cheese sandwiches here!

As others, I love a couple of different cheeses on a grilled cheese - and it could be pretty much whatever is in the cheese bin in the fridge. I also love tomatoes on them, and on a sturdy and hearty, nutty and seedy wheat bread. Something that stands up well to the cheese and 'maters :), and gets good and crispy. Love all those little fried nuts and seeds in the bread. :)

I love green goddess dressing so I took cilantro,flat leaf parsley, tarragon, chopped them fine, add some finely chopped green onion, add some fresh lime juice, small amount of mayo then mixed this with cream cheese, white mild Cheddar, and mozzarella put it a Paninni press oh and it has to be on SF sour dough bread either buttered or oiled with evoo.
kades

Back
Top Bottom