Favorite way to jazz up grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I already know the difference between sharp and white cheddar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already know the difference between sharp and white cheddar.

Would you care to explain to me what the difference is, between sharp and white cheddar? Those seem to be a regional way of describing cheddar. For all I know, those could be standard descriptions everywhere in the US.

To the best of my recollection, I have never seen anything labelled "white cheddar" or "sharp cheddar". The descriptive adjectives that I have seen on the cheddar that is sold around here are: extra mild, mild, medium, old, and extra old. Sometimes the label says how old it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you care to explain to me what the difference is, between sharp and white cheddar? Those seem to be a regional way of describing cheddar. For all I know, those could be standard descriptions everywhere in the US.

To the best of my recollection, I have never seen anything labelled "white cheddar" or "sharp cheddar". The descriptive adjectives that I have seen on the cheddar that is sold around here are: extra mild, mild, medium, old, and extra old. Sometimes the label says how old it is.

Yeah, it must be a regional thing. The sharpest cheddar we could get in a regular grocery store where we lived in MD was a white cheddar. The sharpest that most of the grocery stores around here sell is a yellow. Food companies and their funny labeling... *sigh

Wisconsin boy and former cheese factory worker here. :)

"Sharp" or "extra sharp" cheddar is a marketing phrase, as is "aged cheddar", which means essentially the same thing. It's not standard. It's not regional. Some companies use those terms, while others specify the age in years.

Sharp cheddar is typically six months to a year, while extra sharp is between one and two years old.

Personally, I'd rather that they just told me the age in years.

White cheddar is just cheddar without the orangey annatto coloring added.

And yes, there can be cheddar that is both white AND sharp:
White Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Tillamook

Last edited:
At my local grocery store, if I'm not at the deli, the cheddar cheeses are labeled Mild, Medium, and Sharp across the one brand I buy, so the distinction is relative to that specifically. I didn't take into account that (nor expect discussion revolving around how) different brands and regions may label it differently. There is no white cheddar in that brand at my store, hence the original distinction in my post. The point was that you should avoid mild-flavored cheddar for the recipe.
I didn't think it was such a big deal, considering anyone can put any cheese in a grilled cheese. Cheddar is probably not even the best match for my sandwich but I like the extra tangy bite it gives and the stringy quality it has when melted, while not being some $15/lb specialty cheese. I also don't think I've made a grilled cheese sandwich the same way twice in years. I'm always switching it up, and along with eggs, it's one of my favorite base foods to get creative with in the kitchen.
So an overmedium egg on a grilled cheese just puts it over the moon for me.

Last edited:
At my local grocery store, if I'm not at the deli, the cheddar cheeses are labeled Mild, Medium, and Sharp across the one brand I buy, so the distinction is relative to that specifically. I didn't take into account that (nor expect discussion revolving around how) different brands and regions may label it differently. There is no white cheddar in that brand at my store, hence the original distinction in my post. The point was that you should avoid mild-flavored cheddar for the recipe.
I didn't think it was such a big deal, considering anyone can put any cheese in a grilled cheese. Cheddar is probably not even the best match for my sandwich but I like the extra tangy bite it gives and the stringy quality it has when melted, while not being some $15/lb specialty cheese. I also don't think I've made a grilled cheese sandwich the same way twice in years. I'm always switching it up, and along with eggs, it's one of my favorite base foods to get creative with in the kitchen.
So an overmedium egg on a grilled cheese just puts it over the moon for me.
I think adding an egg to almost anything improves it :yum:, but then, I am a bit biased when it comes to eggs...

Imported Swiss on marbled rye with a slice of tomato along with mayo and a big mug of cocoa on a cold winter night for a TV snack. Maybe two sammies to finish off with the cocoa. :yum::yum:

Luca and Kades,

Thanks for your two grilled cheese sandwiches.

As I had told Kades, I detest that orange false waxy cheese that many people seem to use for grilled cheese sandwiches ... Gross.

I would sub the orange wax for Provolone with Herbs, Taleggio, Asiago, Semi cured Spanish Manchego, and / or San Simón Galician Smoked Cheese ( cow variety ) or Idiazabal, a Basque ewe smoked cheese ... or go with a French goat variety ... or even Gorgonzola aged or Cabrales Asturian blue vein ...

Cool post Sprout.
Thanks for the ideas,
Margaux.

I found a webpage a while ago that had a bunch of grilled cheese variants on it, & I jotted down some notes on my computer!
I haven't tried any of these, but they sounded good to me :)

Bacon & Avocado
Bacon & Tomato
Mozzarella, Basil, & Tomato
Dill Pickles & Mustard
Thinly Sliced Apple & Cheddar
Brie, Maple Bacon, & Pear
Goat Cheese & Pesto
Parmesan, Pepperoni, Pizza Sauce, & Mozzarella
Goat Cheese, Avocado, & Turkey

I found a webpage a while ago that had a bunch of grilled cheese variants on it, & I jotted down some notes on my computer!
I haven't tried any of these, but they sounded good to me :)

Bacon & Avocado
Bacon & Tomato
Mozzarella, Basil, & Tomato
Dill Pickles & Mustard
Thinly Sliced Apple & Cheddar
Brie, Maple Bacon, & Pear
Goat Cheese & Pesto
Parmesan, Pepperoni, Pizza Sauce, & Mozzarella
Goat Cheese, Avocado, & Turkey
Look through our thread and I will bet you find some great Ideas right here at home to go with what you found.:LOL:
kadesma

Made grilled cheese tonight:
Aged artisanal cheddar, fontina, sliced tomato, grilled portabello, and a couple pieces of torn basil. Did it in the panini press, and rubbed the sandwiches with a halved clove of garlic right as they came out. It was delicious. Served with home made marinara for dipping. It was so good, I'm going to make it again this weekend and see if I can fine tune it a little bit.

Haven't tried this, but it has got to be good.

3 slices Home made yeasty bread, cut like Texas Toast
3 slices Velveeta Cheese, 1/4 inch thick slices
Pepperoni Slices
Butter.

Butter one side of each bread slice. Add 1 1/2 cheese slices between two bread slices. Top cheese with pepperoni slices to taste. Grill as you would a normal grilled cheese sandwich.Remove when done on both sides.

Place 1 1/2 cheese slices on top of one grilled bread slice. Add pepperoni, and the other, uncooked bread slice to form a double decker sandwich. Grill the uncooked, buttered side until golden brown. Eat with napkins.

Feel free to substitute provolone, swiss, mozzarella, muenster, or whatever is your favorite cheese into this sandwich. I'm thinking a good, aged swiss cheese would be amazing.:yum:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Do any of you remember the surplus food that you got before they came out with food stamps? Even with four kids, I could never use use up the whole five pound loaf that you got every month. It was just like the Velveeta. My kids did get a little sick of grilled chesse sandwiches though. Made great mac and cheese.

Buit they always liked a grilled cheese sandwich just before bed with a big cup of hot cocoa topped with Marshmallow Fluff. :angel:

Addie, I remember the gov't surplus foods before food stamps. Not us, but some neigbhors got lots of cheese too. And other foods. Kept them going. Lots of plain cheese on white bread sammies for their school lunch, which was better than when all they had was ketchup or lard sandwiches. Their mom baked homemade bread. Gads, the little things I remember, can't remember my friend's last name now tho.

Listen, this was good last week. Pesto spread on each slice bread, ( I had a crusty french loaf) , jarlsberg on each slice bread. Leftover sliced grilled chicken in the middle. Grill. Pry apart and slip in some tomato slices before serving. Tasty.

Addie, I remember the gov't surplus foods before food stamps. Not us, but some neigbhors got lots of cheese too. And other foods. Kept them going. Lots of plain cheese on white bread sammies for their school lunch, which was better than when all they had was ketchup or lard sandwiches. Their mom baked homemade bread. Gads, the little things I remember, can't remember my friend's last name now tho.

Listen, this was good last week. Pesto spread on each slice bread, ( I had a crusty french loaf) , jarlsberg on each slice bread. Leftover sliced grilled chicken in the middle. Grill. Pry apart and slip in some tomato slices before serving. Tasty.

Don't make me bring back the sandwich threads, such as the Breath Killers thread :ohmy: :whistling

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom