"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
Head Chef

For the most part, I like it plain - grilled cheese & tomato sandwich.

Posted some new takes somewhere here:

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

Strawberries, brie, & fresh basil, in a flour tortilla - buttered on the outside & grilled or on the stovetop.

Gruyere, sliced green apples, and walnuts in a flour tortilla - prepped same as above.

Grilled cheese (croutons) sandwiches cut in small squares, in a bowl of tomato soup.

Mozzarella en carroza.

Croque Monsieur or Croque Madame.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
White or sharp cheddar?

Your "white" cheddar can't be sharp? Your sharp cheddar always has food colouring?
No. As long white and sharp cheddar are sold under different names I'll make the distinction.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
No. As long white and sharp cheddar are sold under different names I'll make the distinction.
Regional differences. What is white cheddar then?

Here white cheddar means that it hasn't been dyed "yellow" (orange to my eye).
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I have shown this one before. I call this one French Onion Grilled Cheese. Onion jam that was reduced with beef broth, garlic, sherry, thyme, grilled with mozzerella.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #35
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
A quick answer as to why Cheddar is dyed orange:

Quote:
It's orange because they dye it orange. You knew this, of course. The question is, Why orange as opposed to, say, a nice taupe? As near as cheese historians can make out, the practice originated many years ago in England. Milk contains varying amounts of beta-carotene, the yellow-orange stuff found in carrots and other vegetables. Milk from pasture-fed cows has higher beta-carotene levels in the spring and summer, when the cows are munching on fresh grass, and lower levels during the fall and winter, when they're eating hay. Thus the natural color of the cheese varies over the course of a year. So cheese makers began adding coloring agents. Nowadays the most common of these is annatto, a yellow-red dye made from the seeds of a tree of the same name. Dyeing the cheese eliminated seasonal color fluctuations and also played to the fact (or anyway the belief) that spring/summer milk had a higher butterfat content than the fall/winter kind and thus produced more flavorful cheese. Figuring if yellow = good, orange = better, some cheese makers began ladling in the annatto in double handfuls, producing cheese that looked like something you'd want to carve into a jack-o'-lantern. In recent years some smaller operations have rebelled and stopped using colorants. Be forewarned--according to one cheese making text, uncolored cheese is a "sordid, unappetizing melange of dirty yellow." But at least it's real.
NATURAL Cheddar is white, offwhite.

Tomatoes, to-mah-toes.

SHARPNESS comes from age.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
Senior Cook

We have ham and tomato with american cheese (wallet cheese, as Frank calls it) on honey wheat bread.

I like fried spam with colby cheese on bakery Italian. But, that's just me.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #37
Sous Chef

There are far too many delicious sandwiches that I now need to try! My mouth is watering over here! I'm making grilled cheese for dinner now!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
Master Chef

Rocklobster, your onion and mozarrella grilled cheese looks so good. So many amazing sounding variations of grilled cheese sandwiches here!

As others, I love a couple of different cheeses on a grilled cheese - and it could be pretty much whatever is in the cheese bin in the fridge. I also love tomatoes on them, and on a sturdy and hearty, nutty and seedy wheat bread. Something that stands up well to the cheese and 'maters , and gets good and crispy. Love all those little fried nuts and seeds in the bread.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Rocklobster, your onion and mozarrella grilled cheese looks so good. So many amazing sounding variations of grilled cheese sandwiches here!
Thanks. It is definitely worth the extra work. Plus, it makes the house smell so good...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I love green goddess dressing so I took cilantro,flat leaf parsley, tarragon, chopped them fine, add some finely chopped green onion, add some fresh lime juice, small amount of mayo then mixed this with cream cheese, white mild Cheddar, and mozzarella put it a Paninni press oh and it has to be on SF sour dough bread either buttered or oiled with evoo.
kades

Tags
cheese