Favorite way to jazz up grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Haven't tried this, but it has got to be good.

3 slices Home made yeasty bread, cut like Texas Toast
3 slices Velveeta Cheese, 1/4 inch thick slices
Pepperoni Slices
Butter.

Butter one side of each bread slice. Add 1 1/2 cheese slices between two bread slices. Top cheese with pepperoni slices to taste. Grill as you would a normal grilled cheese sandwich.Remove when done on both sides.

Place 1 1/2 cheese slices on top of one grilled bread slice. Add pepperoni, and the other, uncooked bread slice to form a double decker sandwich. Grill the uncooked, buttered side until golden brown. Eat with napkins.

Feel free to substitute provolone, swiss, mozzarella, muenster, or whatever is your favorite cheese into this sandwich. I'm thinking a good, aged swiss cheese would be amazing.:yum:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh yes. I really need to try this. Thanks for posting it.

I like mixing half mozzarella and cheddar cheese grated with cracked black pepper and using rye bread instead of white. Served with fig preserve on the side or making an open faced grilled cheese also with mixed cheese, spread the bread with mayo and hot mustard, sprinkle with grated cheese, chopped chives and bits of ham and grill till cheese is golden and crispy, serve with fresh green salad.

A panini, where the inside of the bread gets a drizzle of garlic infused, olive oil. Then fresh basil, tomato, motz and prosciutto! :yum:

Only one thing extra to send you to cheese heaven, especially with strong chedder type cheese and that is Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce. Splash it on before you grill, (don't hold back) and wail 'till golden. Try it splashed on Chicken before roasting as well while we're at it

I remember going to a friend's house - I was friends with the kids and my Mom and theirs were good friends as well. Their Mom made grilled cheese sandwiches and soup and those sandwiches were the best I ever tasted (I was only about 9). I said this out loud in front of my own Mom of course. :wacko:

Anyways, my Mom got the secret to these extraordinary sammies - garlic powder sprinkled on the cheese. Yep, that's it! :rolleyes:

I have been playing with this idea and it has taken the poor old grilled cheese to a new level!

The other day I used some leftover garlic butter to butter the leftover Italian bread, I also sprinkled a little garlic powder on the cheese!

It was fantastic, sort of like Texas toast or garlic bread filled with gooey cheese.

Now I need to remember to save out a little marinara sauce for dipping.

That can replace the cream of tomato soup. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for the great tip!

Start with a GOOD bakery seeded rye bread add swiss cheese on one slice and american on them other slice (2 of each is preety good) then pan fry a good imported ham (I like Dak brand or Stop N Shop premium where I live) in a bit of butter till nicely browned. Sandwich the ham between the cheeses. Butter outside of top slice of bread and place butter side down in cast iron pan then butter outside of top slice. Pan fry till on medium heat till nicely golden and cheese begins to get soft. Carefully flip so as not to have the bread slide and grill other side till golden. I sometimes flip it a second time.

Last edited:
Yum, I haven't seen Dak brand in a long time. Will have to look for that. I think they make/ made a salami too that was quite good. Both sounds good on a grilled cheese to me.

Used the Ladyfriends Forman Grill to do "Paninis", grilled cheese on sourdough with Cheddar, a schmear of cream cheese, thick cut applewood smoked bacon, and canned sliced jalapeno.

Zingy, and delish.

My favorite way to make a grilled cheese is like this:

2 Slices Bunny Brand Bread
2 Slices American Cheese
Some sliced cheddar cheese (enough to cover the bread)
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Shredded cheddar for the outside
Cajun Seasoning
Real Butter (Preferred brand is Land O Lakes or American Beauty)

01. Butter outside of both sides of bread
02. Place American Cheese and Cheddar slices on insides of bread (I usually put 1 slice of american on each piece, then cover american on each slice with sliced cheddar)
03. Sprinkle cajun seasonings on cheese
04. Drizzle a few drops of hot sauce in the middle (On top of cheddar)
05. Put Sandwich together
06. On Buttered side of bread (outside) add some shredded cheddar chesse
07. Cook

2 Slices American Cheese
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Cajun Seasoning

02. Place American Cheese and Cheddar slices on insides of bread (I usually put 1 slice of american on each piece, then cover american on each slice with sliced cheddar)
07. Cook

Any reason it must be Bunny Brand Bread? :angel:

I have two favorite ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich. One with tomato slices, mayo on the inside, butter of the outside.Grill.

The other the same but with Swiss cheese. Both with a bowl of tomato soup on a chilly afternoon for lunch. :angel:

2 slices of Rye Bread with butter spread on outside of each slice. Slice of Cheddar Cheese, Slice of Roast Beef and another Slice of Cheddar Cheese on the inside. Fry in skillet until golden with slight crunch on both sides of sandwich. Yum, Yum, Yum!!!

Bunny Bread used to be the preferred bread here. I haven't seen it in the stores for years. I thought they went out of business. I used to love their bismarks.

Here's a take on grilled that I bet you didn't see coming. Take one golf-ball sized piece of raw bread dough. Flatten it into a thin circle. Place a slightly smaller slice of ham on top, with a piece of aged, Swiss cheese to fit the ham. Flatten another round of dough the same size as the first. Place on top and pinch the edges together until they stick together. Grill like an English Muffin. Finish in a 350' oven for five minutes

I haven't had this one, but it sounds like it would be great. Gently fry a pink salmon filet in butter. Lightly season it with salt. Place it on a heaty multy-grain bread that has some real texture to it. Top the fish with freshly grated Parmesano Regiano, or Asiago. Spread sliced black olives and sun-dried tomatoes on top. Add sliced peppers if you so desire. Cover with a second slice of bread. Brush the bread with EVOO and place onto your hot griddle. Cook until golden brown on both sides. I had salmon for supper. Wish I'd have made a sandwich like I just described.

Well, their left overs from the fillet. This just might be lunch for tomorrow.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That sounds really nice, cheers :)

2 Slices American Cheese
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Cajun Seasoning

07. Cook

I had a grilled cheese for lunch last week that was to die for. It was focaccia bread with a grilled portabella, roasted red pepper, and cream cheese toasted in a panini press. I guess you would call it more of a veggie and cheese sandwich. But boy, it was delicious.

if you can get a fruit paste, different cheeses & rotate breads, then get various soups,u could make many meals. (this was a gorgonzola/brie sammich w/ tomato coconut soup & a slice of guava paste)--

Attachments

• dinner112512.jpg
    dinner112512.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1665816.jpg
    IMG_1665816.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 175
I had a grilled cheese for lunch last week that was to die for. It was focaccia bread with a grilled portabella, roasted red pepper, and cream cheese toasted in a panini press. I guess you would call it more of a veggie and cheese sandwich. But boy, it was delicious.
I see this sandwich in my future. YUMMMMM-o.

Back
Top Bottom