Favorite way to jazz up grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I made a grilled cheese sandwich today with sharp cheddar (the English coastal cheddar that Costco sells) and decided to dip it in a little apple butter when it was done. Delicious! I also like to add some ripe tomato and dill to a grilled havarti sandwich. Of course there's the classic tomato, mozzarella, and basil, too.

What is your favorite way to make your grilled cheese extraordinary?

When we make grilled cheese at my house it is almost always

Whole grain bread
Jarlsberg
thinly sliced rings of onion
salsa

I used to use tomato, but Stirling doesn't like tomato, so I use salsa now.

I also like grilled cheese with ham or sautéed mushrooms. (But Stirling doesn't much like ham or mushrooms.)

I haven't made this yet, but I have eaten it: shredded, cooked chicken breast, slices of mango, brie, chopped pickled jalapeno. Use two pieces of tortilla to make the sandwich and fry or broil and cut into wedges.

I love thick slices of American cheese, fat slices of garden tomato several slices of pepper bacon cooked crisp then put on fat slices of white bread, which I brush with melted garlic butter,finely chopped parsley then into a skillet it goes and cooks til the cheese runs almost out the top and sides and the bread is a light golden brown.
kades

Sliced jalapeno or pickled jalapeno peppers and some crisp bacon, and if tomatoes are in season, a slice or two. Homemade wholewheat bread, toasted. And, use extra sharp cheddar or a combo of cheddar and swiss or Jarlsburg. Dipping sauce--homemade salsa.

I use extra sharp cheddar or a combination of extra sharp cheddar and Swiss Gruyere - 2 layers of cheese with sliced tomatoes in between on Pumpernickel.

I made a grilled cheese sandwich today with sharp cheddar (the English coastal cheddar that Costco sells) and decided to dip it in a little apple butter when it was done. Delicious!

Sounds good! - Also, sliced apple would be good in there instead of the apple butter.
I used to do an omelet with extra sharp cheddar, chopped apples, and a little cinnamon - it was great - I'll have to try it again soon, plus the grilled cheese/apple or apple butter idea.

Classic Tyrosalata & Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Buon Giorno,

I am veered towards the Mediterranean and here are three totally distinct takes on grilled or oven baked cheese sandwiches ...

1) Tyrosalata

225 grams of Feta cheese ( half pound )
Evoo ( Italian or Greek or Spanish ) - 3 tblsps.
long green Italian pepper seeded and chopped - 1 medium
1 dried chili pepper called Pepperoncini or a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon juiced
2 tsps. dried Greek or Italian Oregano

Purée the pepper, feta cheese, oregano and black pepper in blender or food processor and extremely slowly add the Evoo and season to taste with a light drizzle of lemon juice.

Serve either room temperature or spread on sliced bread of choice, and place under broiler ...

ITALIAN GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES ...

My favorite is Caprese; bufala di mozzarella, fresh basil and Evoo and a slice of Proscuitto di Parma ... I use Italian Baguette or French Style Baguette when in Madrid with Evoo.

My 2nd is: Herbed Spiced Provolone, proscuitto di parma and tomato on Italian Baguette or French Style ... I use Evoo in the skillet to grill it.

*** For your information: in February or January 2012, there is a very extensive thread on GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES ...

Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano

Last edited:
Fruit jelly of any type, been doing it for years.

There's this thing it's the best grilled cheese sandwich. It contains the following: White or Sharp cheddar, parmesan, Muenster, a slice of tomato, and mozzarella sticks. Few grinds of pepper and a small sprinkle of garlic powder and salt. The bread gets a light coating of butter or oil (spray works best) and on the oiled surface a very light, even coating of parmesan for both sides so that it sticks.

Cook parmesan side out in a cast iron skillet or nonstick surface works best for the cheese. Don't try and flip it too soon or the parmesan crust will separate from the bread. It browns a little faster than bread would, so I like to cover the pan with a lid to retain the heat and melt the inside cheese more quickly.

Serve with homemade marinara. Optionally, an overeasy egg added to the mix sends it over the top. Trust me I've been there. It's heaven. It's tricky to get it into the grilled cheese though. Gotta toast the sandwich halves separately and use the broiler on the inside cheese to melt (but not brown) it without the mozz sticks. Then carefully add the mozz sticks and the egg and put it together gently to serve. If that makes any sense...

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese. I mean that's four cheeses and a parmesan crust, there's no other adjective.

Last edited:
Just Swiss, cheddar, or American cheese topped with thinly sliced onion on one slice of white bread and baked in toaster oven; or ham and cheese between two slices of bread and fried in butter on a griddle.

I'm happy with a few thin slices of tomatoe and bell peppers inside, seasoned of course, on a multi grain bread.

Fruit jelly of any type, been doing it for years.

There's this thing it's the best grilled cheese sandwich. It contains the following: White or Sharp cheddar, parmesan, Muenster, a slice of tomato,...
White or sharp cheddar?

Your "white" cheddar can't be sharp? Your sharp cheddar always has food colouring?

Sourdough, brie, green apple. One of my faves.

Also, any grilled cheese where you can let the cheese spill out, and have the lace get nice and crispy around the edges is a nice bonus.

Even just a nice Country White, with Cheddar, ripe tomato, and bacon makes a good snack. Simple, and straight forward.

I like to use the garlic and herb Boursin too, such a nice flavor in a hot sammich/paninni/grilled cheese.

Also, left over mac n cheese as a filling works wonders, and kids love it.

Oh, and I mom would kill me if I left out a fave she use to make me, Sourdough, or a Country White with pimento cheese, crab, and crumbled bacon.

Make 2 grilled cheese sandwiches...use whatever cheese you like. Place one sandwich on a plate, spread a little mayo on it, add some lettuce, a couple slices of tomato, three or four or more slices of bacon, top with the other grilled cheese sandwich. Get a couple of napkins, lock the door, take the phone of the hook, and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom