"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 11-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

Is this a more reasonable group of categories?
Hot
Cold
Wraps (Corn Tortilla, Flour Tortilla)
Bread
Flat-Bread
Breadless
And then that long list of avialble ingredeants.

This has to be a manageable project. We could even see if we could create a DiscussCooking Sandwich Cookbook and maybe try to get it published, or at least put it in a form that we could all download and have for our own homes. That would be an interesting project. And I'd be willing to take it on, including putting the name of the recipe author with each recipe.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think we're getting there, Weed.

By the way, I don't mean to be critical, but I got put into an honors creative writing class in college, and the professor was a really nasty person. I was the only woman in there (he hated women), and he really gave me a bad time.

One of the things he was always doing was taking a magic marker to my papers, and marking out everything he thought was unnecessary. He hurt my feelings all the time, and sometimes I wanted to punch him in the nose, but in retrospect, I realize that I reallly learned a lot from him.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:34 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I think we're getting there, Weed.

By the way, I don't mean to be critical, but I got put into an honors creative writing class in college, and the professor was a really nasty person. I was the only woman in there (he hated women), and he really gave me a bad time.

One of the things he was always doing was taking a magic marker to my papers, and marking out everything he thought was unnecessary. He hurt my feelings all the time, and sometimes I wanted to punch him in the nose, but in retrospect, I realize that I reallly learned a lot from him.
I know what you mean. I took two classes in Technical Report Writing while taking working toward a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology. I aced both classes. But that was way back in 1990/91. I've probably forgotten much as I haven't had to write professionaly in my current job.

I remember one paragraph in a particular term paper that was highlighted by the good doctor. She marked in red ink beside it "This is possibly the finest paragragh I have read in a term paper, and it has absolutely no buisness in this report." After reading her remarks, I re-read the paper and had to agree.

I have always been a bit verbose, and had to work very hard to scale things back. I have two novels written, The fantasy novel counting in at over 700 pages in length, and a science fiction work that sports a meager 450-plus pages. And then there are the cookbooks...

I proofread each of them at least 5 times, and made them smaller with each revision. I hope they are now concise enough. So I get your point, really. It's Ok. I know that I'm long winded, both verbally, and in the written language. So any help is appreciated.

Oh, and you day that you were in an honors creative writing class? I need to talk to you in private about a possible collaberation, if you're game. If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Ok, this time, I'm going to list a sandwich idea that I had a few days ago at work.

Ciabatta bread, buttered and toasted on a griddle. Spread with a pesto-flavored mayo. Take a small (5 oz) chicken breast, wrapped with proscuitto, and sauteed until the chicken is done. Place a piece of provolone cheese on the chicken, on the bread. Add lettuce and tomato if desired.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #15
Master Chef

That sounds delicious, Allen. I looked at some proscuitto when I was shopping for Thanksgiving...it was almost $5 for a little bitty package. Is it really that much better than thin sliced ham?

This is not a new idea, but I finally tried a turkey and dressing sandwich, and man, was it ever good! I put it on hoagie bun with Miracle Whip and a little mustard and ate it cold.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #16
Master Chef

Official Goodweed Recipe
Title: Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Bread - 2 Slices Whole Wheat, untoasted
Fillings - Leftover Turkey white meat sliced 1/8 inch thick to cover bread
Sage flavored bread dressing or stuffing
Condiments - Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
Seasoning - Salt

Building Technique - Spread salad dressing over both slices of bread. Place turkey slices onto one slice of bread to completely cover. Lightly salt the turkey meat. Place spoonfulls of dressing on top of the turkey slices until they too are coverd. Put second piece of bread, dressing side in, on top of the filling.

This is my all-time favorite way to eat left-over thanksgiving turkey and dressing. I have been making this sandwich for thirty years or more, literally. I look forward to it almost as much as Thanksgiving dinner itself.

This sandwich is also good when heated in the microwave. You can even ladle some gravy over it if you want. But me, I like it best cold.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 11-27-2005, 07:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
That sounds delicious, Allen. I looked at some proscuitto when I was shopping for Thanksgiving...it was almost $5 for a little bitty package. Is it really that much better than thin sliced ham?
OMG! Yes, it is much better!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'm sorry, I didn't post mine in the proper form. Actually, I prefer wheat bread too, Weed, but we didn't have any bread thawed except the (not quite moldy yet) hoagies.

Title: C's Fave Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Filling: mixed dark & white turkey meat, oyster/sausage stuffing (or any good bread stuffing.
Wrap: wheat bread or bun
Condiments: Miracle Whip and mustard
Old 11-28-2005, 12:13 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't post mine in the proper form. Actually, I prefer wheat bread too, Weed, but we didn't have any bread thawed except the (not quite moldy yet) hoagies.

Title: C's Fave Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Filling: mixed dark & white turkey meat, oyster/sausage stuffing (or any good bread stuffing.
Wrap: wheat bread or bun
Condiments: Miracle Whip and mustard

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Ok, this time, I'm going to list a sandwich idea that I had a few days ago at work.

Ciabatta bread, buttered and toasted on a griddle. Spread with a pesto-flavored mayo. Take a small (5 oz) chicken breast, wrapped with proscuitto, and sauteed until the chicken is done. Place a piece of provolone cheese on the chicken, on the bread. Add lettuce and tomato if desired.
whoa, that really sounds like a serious gourmet sandwich!! However I would suggest wrapping prosciuto AFTER chicken is sauteed, and wrap it together with provolone. Prosciuto tends to lose that special flavour when you cook it...