Found healthy alrernative to mayo on sandwhiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Cook
Found healthy alternative to mayo on sandwhiches

Horseradish sauce!

It adds a kick to the sandwich, it's got no cholesterol or trans fat (1.5g fat), and a lot fewer calories than mayo too! I use the Dietz and Watson creamy horseradish sauce.

Last edited:
I love horseradish. I add it to tomato sauce with a bit of Splenda to make a shrimp or seafood sauce. It's also great when mixed into smashed spuds, with corned beef, hot dogs, most sausages, and with prime rib. The flavor is sweet and hot, which compliments meat wonderfully.

Horseradish can also be used in white sauce (Bechemel), and to add zest to queso dips, cream cheese dips and spreads, etc. It is really very versatile.

I have recently heard (on Iron Chef America, yes, I still watch the show and learn from it) that Wasabi really is different than what most people believe. I had thought it was similar to horseradish, but hotter. According to Chef Morimoto, it is sweet when ground and made into a condiment. And Daikons (a member of the radish family) become sweet as they cook. I look forward to trying both, especially fresh Wasabi Root, as the powderd stuff found in the spice racks is a combination of powdered wasabi and horseradish. I read it on the ingredient list.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

But it's not mayonnaise.

In the quantities that I use mayonnaise on a day-to-day basis (such as sandwiches) its energy content is irrelevant, that's why I use delicious whole egg mayonnaise (when I don't make my own).

If you want something to substitute for mayonnaise this is a old traditional English Salad Sauce. It just happens to be fairly similar to mayonnaise (I would rather use mayonnaise, but it is also a change for something different)

English Salad Sauce

3 large eggs
1 tbsp cold water
2 pinches cayenne pepper
150ml 8% fromage frais
4 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt

Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring the water up to simmering point and give them exactly 9 minutes from the time it starts boiling. Then cool them under cold water to stop them cooking any further. Peel away the shells, cut them in half and place the yolks only in the mixing bowl.

Add the tablespoon of cold water and pound the yolks to a smooth paste with a wooden spoon. Then add the cayenne and salt, and stir in the fromage frais, bit by bit, mixing it smoothly as you go. When it's all in, add the vinegar, check the seasoning and add more if it needs it. If you think the mixture is too runny at this stage, dont worry. Cover the bowl and leave it for a couple of hours in the fridge, after which it will have thickened (should have consistency of thickish cream).

Serves 4-6.

Back
Top Bottom