"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 02-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
A grilled cheese sandwich consists of American cheese between two slices of Wonderbread. You butter both sides and plop it on a griddle or skillet until the bread browns and the cheese melts.

All of the variations mentioned so far, and many others as well, probably taste much better. Probably heck, I know they do, because I get just as fancy. But, still, something goes out of the world when we mess with basic concepts.

It's like all the gourmet mac & cheese varients that have become so popular. Come on, now. There's something to be said for day-glo orange.
I will agree with you when you show me the cow that gives orange milk.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I will agree with you when you show me the cow that gives orange milk.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #53
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
A grilled cheese sandwich consists of American cheese between two slices of Wonderbread. You butter both sides and plop it on a griddle or skillet until the bread browns and the cheese melts.

All of the variations mentioned so far, and many others as well, probably taste much better. Probably heck, I know they do, because I get just as fancy. But, still, something goes out of the world when we mess with basic concepts.
I hope you don't think that Americans were the first to put cheese between bread, and cook it off.

The Grilled cheese you just described is a variation on something that has been going on for as long as there has been bread, cheese, butter and heat, I am sure.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:

It's like all the gourmet mac & cheese varients that have become so popular. Come on, now. There's something to be said for day-glo orange.
... and don't forget that all-important cup of Campbell's cream of tomato soup on the side!

It's called comfort food, something that reminds you of Mommy warming your insides after a morning of snowball fighting, snow angels, forts and igloos, sledding, and making a snow man.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #55
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
and don't forget that all-important cup of Campbell's

Well Clair, I'm new here, and didn't want to go overboard in the opposite direction. So didn't state it. But I was sure thinking it.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #56
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
I hope you don't think that Americans were the first to put cheese between bread, and cook it off.

I'm a professional food historian, Tattrat. Do you really think I would think that?

But, if you want to get technical, yes, we are the first people to use that name for it. I specifically said "grilled cheese sandwich." Didn't say, for instance, toasted cheese, or Welsh Rarebit, or a dozen other names I could list. Even fondu is basically the same, being, simply, melted cheese on bread.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #57
Executive Chef

"Traditional" and "Authentic" are words we probably shouldn't use with food. Even "Original" should probably only be applied to the commercial establishment/chef/person that created a dish. What makes a family recipe more "traditional" or "authentic" than someone elses family recipe? Remember, there are as many recipes for a dish as there are ......(insert country/region) grandmothers!

Craig
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #58
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
... and don't forget that all-important cup of Campbell's cream of tomato soup on the side!
Aye...

Aye....

I still love my bread, butter and Kraft singles for grilled cheese and a bowl of Campbell's cream of tomato on the side (and for dipping).
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

I love oysterette crackers floating on my tomato soup along with the grilled cheese sandwich.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Grilled Cheese in Spain is called a MIXTO

In Spain, for breakfast, many have a sandwich called a Mixto, ( Pronounced : mix toe ) which consists of BIMBO white bread packaged similar to Wonder in the USA, a slice of Boiled Ham ( York Style Ham ) and a slice of Cheddar Imported as Spain does NOT produce any orange cheeses or orange rind cheeses ... Then, it is buttered and then grilled.

For me, If I have craving for grilled cheese, I rather go to Market and go home and make it.