Grilled Cheese anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I shouldn't but I am going to try this at home.....

Attachments

• Turn toaster sideways, get grilled cheese.jpg
    Turn toaster sideways, get grilled cheese.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 228
Yup - it works and I've been doing it for years in hotel rooms that have toasters. It doesn't work in all toasters though. The ones that have a wire bail that holds the bread right in the center of an extra wide slot will be a disaster. Cheap toasters work better..

Good Morning, ( 10.30am in Spain )

Great post loaded with luscious ideas for a grilled cheese. I love Mozzarella di Bufala and Provolone ... I also enjoy a smoked Galician cheese ( northwestern Spain ) cow variety cheese called SAN SIMÓN which creates delectable aromas of smoke when melting ... A Swiss Gruyère is lovely too ... I enjoy mine with Tomato and Proscuitto di Parma or Serrano Iberian acorn fed ham ... I usually prepare mine on a 9 seed dark whole wheat baguette, and flatten it ...

The bread culture in the Mediterranean does not have German type rye, seeded or black varieties of bread ... so I flatten the 9 seed dark whole wheat baguette ...

I have also experimented around with "Ali Oli " or home made Mayonnaise with finely chopped Sun Dried Tomato spread verses Danish or French creamy Butter ... and it is wonderful and sautés the bread nice and golden ...

Thanks for posting these ...
Margi.

Last edited:
Basil Butter with the Mozzarella di Bufala and tomato, grilled cheese caprese and a touch of olive oil, black olive slices and / or proscuitto di parma ... and or Pesto can be nice too ... It is such an internationally versatile sandwich ---

Margi.

Rock,

Thanks for the picture. I have to give this a try!

I am a big fan of Cheese on Toast made with good sturdy bread, buttered, topped with good cheddar cheese and toasted directly on the rack of a hot oven. I am hoping the toaster trick will take away the guilt I experience in heating the oven for such a simple treat. I always hear my parents and grandparents chanting about wasting the energy etc...

This is also great made using a toasting fork over a campfire on a cold damp morning!

I am hoping the toaster trick will take away the guilt I experience in heating the oven for such a simple treat.

If that doesn't work you can always try my trick....

Just shrug and go "Oh well, I am worth it" :)

I am having grilled cheese for breakfast this morning. I made bread yesterday afternoon and this turned out fantastic.

Last edited:
I have to have my toaster oven. I like to melt cheese on toast, but I also like to toast open faced sandwiches, which would probably be too big for a toaster's slots.

Another thing it's good for is hash brown patties. The toaster oven heats to 450° very quickly and gets them nice and brown in very little time. Quicker and cheaper than heating the oven.

...Another thing it's good for is hash brown patties. The toaster oven heats to 450° very quickly and gets them nice and brown in very little time. Quicker and cheaper than heating the oven.

I sometimes do HB patties in a skillet with a touch of butter at the same time as do some sausage links and eggs.

Re Post 61: What a fantastic idea! :) I am going to try that too. It is probably wise to be careful about the amount of cheese one puts on it, to prevent dripping onto the inside of the toaster. :yum:

Yup - it works and I've been doing it for years in hotel rooms that have toasters. It doesn't work in all toasters though. The ones that have a wire bail that holds the bread right in the center of an extra wide slot will be a disaster. Cheap toasters work better..
I thought that's what the irons were for in hotel rooms :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom